Re: [Electronics_101] Using two oscilloscopes together?

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 29, 2006
      On Wednesday 29 March 2006 08:57 am, Daniel Nicoson wrote:
      > Since we were talking about scopes on another thread, here's a scope
      > question.
      >
      > Rarely have I had a need for more than two channels of scope and my
      > voltmeter. The other day, I would really have liked to watch 4 channels.
      > Granted, one's eyes could cross and your brain twist such that you never
      > recover after watching four channels, but it would have been useful in that
      > case.
      >
      > Seeing the discussion on more capable scopes I have considered finding a
      > four-channel scope. Of course new or used the cost is significantly higher
      > than a comparable two channel. Considering that I like to keep it simple
      > since I'm not in this to be a scope master, I wondered about getting
      > another 1982 $80 scope and sitting it on top of my existing one. Then just
      > using all four channels and ensuring all grounds went together.
      >
      > Is this practical? A no-brainer? Is there some magic about separate
      > grounds? They could certainly be plugged into the same power strip.
      >
      > Thoughts?

      Mine is 4-channel, and with delay will show up to _eight_ traces on the
      screen... But anyway, if you have a trigger output on either one, you can
      feed that one to the other scope and maybe it'd work. I sure hope that there
      wouldn't be much if any interaction between the two, because of magnetic
      coupling or whatever, but that unfortunately is something you'd have to
      experiment with.

      There also used to be articles in hobby magazines (sorry I can't remember
      specific dats and issues here) about building a 2-channel board to input to
      your old single-channel scope, maybe something like that would be easier
      than a whole 'nother scope. The worst part about that would be that you'd
      need outboard attenuators, but it seems to me that something using one of
      the analog multiplexer chips or similar ought to be fairly do-able.

      ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
      be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
      -
      M Dakin