Re: [Electronics_101] Component sizes

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
      There are 3 tricks to make that easier:

      A) get some SMD solder paste and reflow the buggers, much easier than you
      probably expect.

      B) tack one end first as already described.

      C) use something to hold it down - the easiest thing to make is a simple
      wood board and a piece of steel wire about 2mm dia. The wire is bent in a
      U shape, one end fixed to the board and the other pointed so it presses
      down on this board in the center. This will hold down parts easily, and
      doesn't need any fancy mechanics. The spring action in the wire is plenty
      strong, and it even allows a small area of adjustment where it will press
      down.

      ST

      On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 03:08:22 +0100, <groups@...> wrote:

      > Hi Robert,
      >

      > The trick is to make a device to hold the component in place while you
      >
      > use your
      >
      > 2 free hands to solder.
      >

      > A SMT component can be held in place with a thin 2mm wood skewer with a
      > sharp
      >
      > point. The skewer is held in a support, a bit like an inverted L 100mm
      > high
      >
      > attached to a flat base. A spring out of a ball-point pen is used to
      > apply
      >
      > pressure to hold the skewer against the component.
      >

      > Is that clear? ..... NOT
      >

      > |---|-------|
      >
      > |--------| |
      >
      > Z | |
      >
      > - | |
      >
      > | | |

      > | | |

      > | | |

      > | | |

      > ----=----------
      >
      > ---------------
    • lcdpublishing
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
        DOn't you just love those "slap yourself on the forehead" moments :-)

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
          On Tuesday 28 February 2006 05:51 pm, lcdpublishing wrote:
          > Hi guys,
          >
          > This is really strange. I have been noticing lately that my
          > computer's fan has been working really hard at times. So, I have
          > kept the task manager open and running. When I hear the fan, I look
          > at the "load meter" and notice it is at full power.
          >
          > During the last week, I have noticed that it is being caused by
          > certain web pages being displayed in Internet Explorer. The last
          > two websites that caused this are CNN and Monster. Has anyone else
          > noticed this sort of thing before?
          >
          > Bugs the heck out of me as I don't know why a webpage would cause
          > such a strain on the CPU. However, these days, it seems as though
          > web designers are more into adding nonesense than content.

          I've noticed that about some web pages for quite a while now... :-)

          What I'd suggest is that you dump IE and get yourself a copy of Firefox. And
          then start looking at some of the plug-ins that are available for it, like
          "adblock" ferinstance -- absolutely my favorite!

          ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
          be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
          -
          M Dakin
        • blown928
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 2, 2006
            0805s aren't so bad. 0402's get a bit tougher, but you, too, can do
            0402!

            http://articulationllc.home.comcast.net/sm0402.htm

            hth,

            Bill
            http://www.ArticulationLLC.com

            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hedan
            <robert.hedan@...> wrote:

            > I have to see something to fully appreciate the size, in this case
            > miniaturization (is that a word?), of a component. So, I've uploaded a
            > picture of just how small LEDs can get for others with my affliction:
            > File: SMD.jpg
            >
            > There are even smaller LEDs, but I got smart before ordering
            anything that
            > minuscule. I should be able to solder the 1206 LEDs, but I just
            can't do
            > anything without extreme care and assistance with the 0805 (tweezers and
            > magnification). Imagine that breathing has become an issue working with
            > those, sneezing is catastrophic.
            >
            > Robert
            > :)
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Robert Hedan
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 2, 2006
              Yeah, I screwed up, those aren't 0805, I think they are 0603. I just got
              0805 and they aren't that bad, that and the fact I got myself a set of
              soldering tweezers. I'm hurrying to finish up a PCB so that I can finally
              start practicing with SMD components.

              The 0805 resistors are well marked, but the capacitors aren't, making it
              easy to screw up on assembly. I did manage to screw up my order at Mouser,
              I got 300Kohms instead of 330ohms, not quite what I expected.

              I was all excited about those 1206 SMD LEDs, but they aren't as bright as I
              wished they were. I didn't have enough experience to know that their rating
              was way lower than what I had hoped for. Ah well, live and learn.

              Surprisingly, the small 0603 is not that bad, not as powerful as I need, but
              pretty impressive considering the size of the package. One thing about this
              particular 0603 package is that the metal lip extends from the LED, they are
              not full height like ordinary 0805, making it easy to slip out of the
              solder tweezers.

              Robert
              :)

            • groups@homanndesigns.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 2, 2006
                Robert,

                What profile SMT tweezers did you get? There are about a dozen
                diferrent types.

                The ones I prefer for 0805 components, have flats at the end for holding the
                sides of the components.

                Cheers,

                Peter.

                Quoting Robert Hedan <robert.hedan@...>:

                > Yeah, I screwed up, those aren't 0805, I think they are 0603. I just got
                > 0805 and they aren't that bad, that and the fact I got myself a set of
                > soldering tweezers. I'm hurrying to finish up a PCB so that I can finally
                > start practicing with SMD components.
                >
                > The 0805 resistors are well marked, but the capacitors aren't, making it
                > easy to screw up on assembly. I did manage to screw up my order at Mouser,
                > I got 300Kohms instead of 330ohms, not quite what I expected.
                >
                > I was all excited about those 1206 SMD LEDs, but they aren't as bright as I
                > wished they were. I didn't have enough experience to know that their rating
                > was way lower than what I had hoped for. Ah well, live and learn.
                >
                > Surprisingly, the small 0603 is not that bad, not as powerful as I need, but
                > pretty impressive considering the size of the package. One thing about this
                > particular 0603 package is that the metal lip extends from the LED, they are
                > not full height like ordinary 0805, making it easy to slip out of the
                > solder tweezers.
                >
                > Robert
                > :)

              • Robert Hedan
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 2, 2006
                  I have pointy tips and flat tips.

                  The problem with these flat tips is that they are not slanted. I'll have to
                  hold the tweezers perpendicular with the PCB, I would have liked 45degrees
                  or something like that for a more ergonomic feel.

                  The flat tips are 1/8" wide by 1/16" thick. The pointy tips are less than
                  1/16", close to 1/32".

                  It's spring break so I have my 3 daughters home. I doubt I'll be able to
                  work on this before next week, but I'm really looking forward to it.

                  Robert
                  :)

                  What profile SMT tweezers did you get? There are about a dozen
                  diferrent types.

                  The ones I prefer for 0805 components, have flats at the end for holding the
                  sides of the components.

                  Cheers,

                  Peter.

                  Quoting Robert Hedan <robert.hedan@...>:

                  > Yeah, I screwed up, those aren't 0805, I think they are 0603. I just
                  > got 0805 and they aren't that bad, that and the fact I got myself a
                  > set of soldering tweezers. I'm hurrying to finish up a PCB so that I
                  > can finally start practicing with SMD components.
                  >
                  > The 0805 resistors are well marked, but the capacitors aren't, making
                  > it easy to screw up on assembly. I did manage to screw up my order at
                  > Mouser, I got 300Kohms instead of 330ohms, not quite what I expected.
                  >
                  > I was all excited about those 1206 SMD LEDs, but they aren't as bright
                  > as I wished they were. I didn't have enough experience to know that
                  > their rating was way lower than what I had hoped for. Ah well, live
                  > and learn.
                  >
                  > Surprisingly, the small 0603 is not that bad, not as powerful as I
                  > need, but pretty impressive considering the size of the package. One
                  > thing about this particular 0603 package is that the metal lip extends
                  > from the LED, they are not full height like ordinary 0805, making it
                  > easy to slip out of the solder tweezers.
                  >
                  > Robert
                  > :)

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Peter Homann
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 2, 2006
                    Hi Robert,

                    The ones I use are slanted so they sit well in the hand.

                    They are made by C&K. Don't have the model number at hand though.

                    I need to get another pait that is wider, suitable for soic (ICs) components