Infrared control for a light switch

  • spur4444
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2002
      Hi all,

      I'm dreaming about turning the small light on/off in
      my room using some kind of a remote control.

      It seems to me the simplest method would be an IR
      control. All I need is a transmitter and a receiver
      which closes/opens a circuit on the other side.

      Has anyone done something like this before ? What
      parts should I be looking for ? Any tips will
      be appreciated.

      Thanks in advance
      Eli
    • rgraf.geo
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2002
        --- In Electronics_101@y..., "spur4444" <spur@c...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm dreaming about turning the small light on/off in
        > my room using some kind of a remote control.
        >
        > It seems to me the simplest method would be an IR
        > control. All I need is a transmitter and a receiver
        > which closes/opens a circuit on the other side.
        >
        > Has anyone done something like this before ? What
        > parts should I be looking for ? Any tips will
        > be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        > Eli

        Take a look at the X10 web site, http://www.x10.com where they sell
        this type of stuff. The controls are actually rf and they have
        keychain remotes as well as universal remotes and other types. You
        can even get a controller that is programmable for evenet/timer
        sequences.
      • manifold_1
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6, 2002
          There is always "The Clapper". No, really, they work great.

          I don't know the simple way to make an IR control work to turn off
          and on 120VAC without some fairly serious circuit design.

          For example,
          o Should it work in the day time?
          o How is the receiver powered?
          o How 'robust' should it be, i.e., what if the TV remote occationally
          turns off the light?

          You might want to look at some home automation kits at your local
          hardware store unless you are really set on building it yourself. A
          lot of the home automation kits use power line modems to send control
          signals.

          It can be done and it is not hard but it could take some effort to
          finish a project that at first seems simple but might get complicated.

          --- In Electronics_101@y..., "spur4444" <spur@c...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I'm dreaming about turning the small light on/off in
          > my room using some kind of a remote control.
          >
          > It seems to me the simplest method would be an IR
          > control. All I need is a transmitter and a receiver
          > which closes/opens a circuit on the other side.
          >
          > Has anyone done something like this before ? What
          > parts should I be looking for ? Any tips will
          > be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          > Eli
        • digitaldel2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2002
            25 quid will get you a remote contol light switch (dimmer) from
            maplins, with everything you need except batteries for the remote!!

            --- In Electronics_101@y..., "spur4444" <spur@c...> wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I'm dreaming about turning the small light on/off in
            > my room using some kind of a remote control.
            >
            > It seems to me the simplest method would be an IR
            > control. All I need is a transmitter and a receiver
            > which closes/opens a circuit on the other side.
            >
            > Has anyone done something like this before ? What
            > parts should I be looking for ? Any tips will
            > be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks in advance
            > Eli
          • Jacob Dilles
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2002
              Would you like to "home-brew" it, or get it commercially? If you are willing to put in the extra effort and home-brew, I have several projects that you could use. If you decide to buy it, though, you can get it assembled at www.x10.com , www.radioshack.com , or probably your local electronics provider. If you want to compromise, you can get a kit. I have seen a lot of kits that do what you are describing. Check out the radio shack catalog, or drop by there site. Other kit providers are Ramsey (www.ramseyelectronics.com), rainbow kits (www.rainbowkits.com), or goldmine (www.goldmine-elec.com/).
              Good luck
              ---yf---
              YOU CAN CONTACT ME AT:
              theshadow2754@...
            • mailsree01
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 7, 2002

                hi there,

                for transmmitter u can use an ordinary 555 timer IC. just check its pin configuration. the frequency generated by it depends upon the combination of resisotrs u se for it. u can get it from data sheets. and for the receiver just go for an IR receiver. it generally has 3 pins one for supply(5V), second for ground and third for the signal. so just connect the signal to one end of relay and the other end of the relay to the mains through some protection.

                i hope that solves ur problme.

                thanks and regards

                sreeni

                Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from http://www.planetm.co.in