Re: [Electronics_101] MultiMeter Question

  • Martin Klingensmith
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2002
      If you want to know the current capacity, you need to test the cells with a
      load such as a variable resister. If you hook your ammeter up directly to the
      cells you are going to break something.

      --- doug_bays <DougBays@...> wrote:
      > I recently Had 4 PathFinder solar yard lights Fail due to Battery
      > exhaustion.
      > I took the solar cells out of them and made a small solar panel.
      > 4 of them connected in series puts out 17.5 volts DC.
      >
      > Here is the question:
      > When I put the meter on the 500 DCmA setting
      > the 50 scale reads 23.
      > How do I calculate the milliamps?
      > Do I multiply 23x50=1150ma (1.150Amps)
      > or do something else?
      > Thanx
      > DougBays@...
      > ********************

      =====
      -Martin Klingensmith
      http://archive.nnytech.net/
      http://devzero.ath.cx/
      http://www.nnytech.net/

      http://sports.yahoo.com
    • manifold_1
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2002
        Shorting out a _small_ solar panel to determine the short circuit
        current should not harm anything. A reading of "23" on the 500 mA
        scale is 23mA assuming that you have a digital multimeter. A 500mA
        scale is a little odd for a digital multimeter though.

        23mA is about the right output for the application you have described.

        o What is the area and open circuit voltage output of a single panel?

        --- In Electronics_101@y..., Martin Klingensmith <raidfibre@y...>