MultiMeter Question

  • doug_bays
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2002
      I recently Had 4 PathFinder solar yard lights Fail due to Battery
      exhaustion.
      I took the solar cells out of them and made a small solar panel.
      4 of them connected in series puts out 17.5 volts DC.

      Here is the question:
      When I put the meter on the 500 DCmA setting
      the 50 scale reads 23.
      How do I calculate the milliamps?
      Do I multiply 23x50=1150ma (1.150Amps)
      or do something else?
      Thanx
      DougBays@...
      ********************
    • Martin Klingensmith
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2002
        If you want to know the current capacity, you need to test the cells with a
        load such as a variable resister. If you hook your ammeter up directly to the
        cells you are going to break something.

        --- doug_bays <DougBays@...> wrote:
        > I recently Had 4 PathFinder solar yard lights Fail due to Battery
        > exhaustion.
        > I took the solar cells out of them and made a small solar panel.
        > 4 of them connected in series puts out 17.5 volts DC.
        >
        > Here is the question:
        > When I put the meter on the 500 DCmA setting
        > the 50 scale reads 23.
        > How do I calculate the milliamps?
        > Do I multiply 23x50=1150ma (1.150Amps)
        > or do something else?
        > Thanx
        > DougBays@...
        > ********************

        =====
        -Martin Klingensmith
        http://archive.nnytech.net/
        http://devzero.ath.cx/
        http://www.nnytech.net/

        http://sports.yahoo.com
      • manifold_1
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2002
          Shorting out a _small_ solar panel to determine the short circuit
          current should not harm anything. A reading of "23" on the 500 mA
          scale is 23mA assuming that you have a digital multimeter. A 500mA
          scale is a little odd for a digital multimeter though.

          23mA is about the right output for the application you have described.

          o What is the area and open circuit voltage output of a single panel?

          --- In Electronics_101@y..., Martin Klingensmith <raidfibre@y...>