Re: [Electronics_101] Digest Number 280

  • choaglin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
      In a message dated 3/2/02 2:34:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com writes:

      I have a stack of Amiga 500's and 1000's with 8MHz 68000's in them.
      Same vintage. Email me privately with your address.

      Come on, don't tear Amigas up for them, those are much more useful as Amigas. The 68000's in the Amigas are soldered down anyways, and a 64-pin package isn't much fun to remove. I think I used to have some on misc boards that were socketed but I most likely junked the boards. 68000's are readily available new-old-stock from a number of semiconductor sales places for somewhere in the $8-$25 range, I had to source some for somebody about a year ago. Try Techsonic (techsonic@... I think), they carry them. You can also use any faster chip, so a 68000P10 would work, as would a 68000P12 (I think they made one of these) or a 68000P16. Anything faster than 8 will work fine. Don't try to put in a faster clock oscillator with a faster processor though, it might mess up the timing of the controller.

      -Chris

    • choaglin@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
        In a message dated 3/2/02 2:34:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com writes:

        Anilam does still exists but I can not afford what they want to fix it. They have a flat rate no matter what the problem is.
        Yes there are 3 EPROM'S on there also. They say I can get all the schematics and codes but that won't do me much good as I would not know how to use them.

        If you can find somebody with a device programmer, I highly recommend dumping out the ROMs. If you can get the firmware from the manufacturer of the same revision as yours uses, you do a comparison on the two files to make sure the ROMs in your machine aren't corrupted.

        -Chris
      • alienrelics
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2002
          --- In Electronics_101@y..., choaglin@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 3/2/02 2:34:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          > Electronics_101@y... writes:
          >

          > > I have a stack of Amiga 500's and 1000's with 8MHz 68000's in
          them.

          > Come on, don't tear Amigas up for them, those are much more useful
          as Amigas.

          I agree, but everyone around here is so used to people tossing them
          that I can't even get 5 bucks for a 500.

          > The 68000's in the Amigas are soldered down anyways, and a 64-pin
          package
          > isn't much fun to remove.

          You are mistaken on this. Never been an Amiga built with a 68000
          soldered in. The 3000 on up have their processors soldered, though.
          But 1000, 2000, and 500 have their 68000's in sockets.

          Some of my 500's have other problems, anyway, and aren't worth
          fixing. The 8520 CIA chip blowing out from static is a very common
          problem. So I am happy to pull a working 68000 out.

          The local Amiga computer club used to complain incessently about the
          high prices at the now closed Amiga store. I collected a bunch of
          Amiga stuff and then announced my very low prices. 3 people came in
          over a year, and only one of them was from the local club. They've
          gotten so used to finding this stuff in thrift stores and having
          people toss it out, I can't get $10 for a refurb'd mouse (new
          buttons, cleaned out and guaranteed) or $5 for a power supply.

          I have a bunch of projects that I'd like to use these Amigas for. I
          just don't have the time. I joined a project late in the game, a full
          size Borg Alcove. I added some electronics and connected all the
          existing battery powered stuff up to one power supply. I want to put
          an Amiga 500 in it, and using Ace Basic and AREXX have a motion
          sensor trigger it to use the SAY function to speak Borg-like things
          and do some semi-random things. Move things, suddenly flash lights,
          stuff like that. Something like that could fit on a couple of
          floppies.

          Steve Greenfield