Re: [Electronics_101] Digest Number 279

  • choaglin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2002

      The project you have in mind is certainly possible, but it has some
      downsides:
      (1) it would require a bit (well more then that) of "hacking" the circuit
      (2)you would have to do a lot of research on the chips and schematics of
      your particular unit
      (3)what if someone who you wanted to talk to had disabled caller id?
      if you think you are up to all these things, then I encourage you to give it
      a try

      Here's an idea I had: have a circuit that answers the phone (maybe this could be done with a computer as well) and asks for a password in order to ring your phone. Give the password out to anybody you want calling you who you give your phone number to. Make it also answer the phone with a reorder tone so as to fake out computerized call generators into thinking the line is disconnected and removing your number from their lists. Now, of course there are other people who may need to talk to you, and it should have a special code given in the prompt that they can dial, along with a warning that telemarketer calls are not accepted and you charge a certain amount of money for having to listen to them.(there are statutes detailing how much you can collect for repeated calls from a telemarketer) Also, it could assign distinctive rings to each class of call, so you can tell from the ring whether it's somebody you want calling you on the other end of the line, or somebody else.

      -Chris