Motorola date code question

  • Bruce Klawiter
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2002
      Hello,

      I have been lurking here for about a month now, I know very little about electronics, I can name some parts but that's about it. I'm trying to learn what I can in my spare time.
      Well here is my first question. I'm trying to fix a CNC mill with a Anilam M controller. One of the cards is bad and someone mentioned I should replace the microcontroller (MC68000P8  3A72E8802) on it. I have found some on the internet but they all mention the date code, do I need to be concerned with this? Why? How do I find out what the date code is? The machine is a 1987 model.
      Your help will be very much appreciated.

      Regards,
      Bruce klawiter
    • alienrelics
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2002
        As far as I've ever been able to determine, the Motorola 68000 is
        insensitive to date code changes. IE, no real changes between them.

        I have a stack of Amiga 500's and 1000's with 8MHz 68000's in them.
        Same vintage. Email me privately with your address.

        My email is polymorph (at) polyphoto.com (so the list doesn't chop up
        my email).

        Steve Greenfield

        --- In Electronics_101@y..., "Bruce Klawiter" <bruce@k...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I have been lurking here for about a month now, I know very little
        about electronics, I can name some parts but that's about it. I'm
        trying to learn what I can in my spare time.
        > Well here is my first question. I'm trying to fix a CNC mill with a
        Anilam M controller. One of the cards is bad and someone mentioned I
        should replace the microcontroller (MC68000P8 3A72E8802) on it. I
        have found some on the internet but they all mention the date code,
        do I need to be concerned with this? Why? How do I find out what the
        date code is? The machine is a 1987 model.
        > Your help will be very much appreciated.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Bruce klawiter
      • alienrelics
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2002
          Hi, Dangermouse. AlienRelics here.

          You are correct, there is no programmable ROM in the 68000P8.

          I agree, I'd be pretty paranoid about losing whats on the EPROMs and
          ROMs. If they have paper labels covering the EPROM window, a lot of
          times the adhesive dries up and the labels fall of. Can take a long
          time for stray light to erase them, but why take a chance?

          Steve Greenfield

          --- In Electronics_101@y..., "Dangermouse" <dangermouse@m...> wrote:
          > The main worry I would have is whether the MC68000P8 CPU chip
          contains programmed ROM. From what little I found briefly scanning
          the net, it doesn't look like it does, so you should be safe
          replacing it without worrying about the date code.

          > From my experience with CNCs, I would REALLY try to find out if
          Anilam still exists, or if not, who (if anyone) purchased it. It may
          be possible to get entire cards or EPROMS from them ( I am assuming
          that the CPU card contains some sort of pre-programmed memory chips,
          whether ROMs, EPROMSs, or whatever). These can go bad or lose their
          memory, and if they do, you may be sunk unless someone SOMEWHERE
          knows what should be programmed into those chips.
        • Bruce Klawiter
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2002
            Anilam does still exists but I can not afford what they want to fix it. They have a flat rate no matter what the problem is.
            Yes there are 3 EPROM'S on there also. They say I can get all the schematics and codes but that won't do me much good as I would not know how to use them.

            >From my experience with CNCs, I would REALLY try to find out if Anilam
            still exists, or if not, who (if anyone) purchased it.  It may be possible to get entire cards or EPROMS from them ( I am assuming that the CPU card contains some sort of pre-programmed memory chips, whether ROMs, EPROMSs, or whatever).<
          • rgraf.geo
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2002
              --- In Electronics_101@y..., "alienrelics" <polymorph@p...> wrote:
              > As far as I've ever been able to determine, the Motorola 68000 is
              > insensitive to date code changes. IE, no real changes between them.
              >
              > I have a stack of Amiga 500's and 1000's with 8MHz 68000's in them.
              > Same vintage. Email me privately with your address.
              >
              > My email is polymorph (at) polyphoto.com (so the list doesn't chop
              up
              > my email).
              >
              > Steve Greenfield

              I'm not sure if the particular processor you're talking about is the
              one I'm thinking of, but Motorloa made several different versions of
              the 68000 processor including a version with an 8 bit data bus that
              was to compete with the 8088. It is not pin compatible with other
              68000 chips to my knowledge. As for repairing the cnc mill, check
              some cnc sites to see if you can find any ex field techs with
              experience with those machines. Or look for customers who may have
              old ones they are tossing out when they upgrade.
            • Dangermouse
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2021
                The main worry I would have is whether the MC68000P8 CPU chip contains programmed ROM.  From what little I found briefly scanning the net, it doesn't look like it does, so you should be safe replacing it without worrying about the date code.

                From my experience with CNCs, I would REALLY try to find out if Anilam still exists, or if not, who (if anyone) purchased it.  It may be possible to get entire cards or EPROMS from them ( I am assuming that the CPU card contains some sort of pre-programmed memory chips, whether ROMs, EPROMSs, or whatever).  These can go bad or lose their memory, and if they do, you may be sunk unless someone SOMEWHERE knows what should be programmed into those chips.

                -DM

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 2021
                  Good luck with your repair, Steve, and holler if anything seems awry. :o)

                  -DM

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 1, 2021
                    EXCELLENT.  If their service proces are too high (no surprise), perhaps some of their parts prices will be tolerable (unlikely, but possible).

                    If you DO get all the schematics and codes, you will at least have the tools so that others might help you use them.  :o)

                    -DM