Re: [Electronics_101] How can I KILL my TV

  • Bruce MacDonald
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
      Do you have cable?

      Look for a splitter or junction in the cable.
      Locate the spigot that goes to the TV and disconnect it. Cut the wire
      that pokes out of the cable off very short. Even your wife's nail
      scissors will do the trick.

      Put the cable back on the signal. You now have a working TV that is
      useless for viewing.

      Make sure you don't cut the one that goes to your cable modem :)

      --BM

    • JanRwl@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
        In a message dated 12/1/2005 1:32:34 P.M. Central Standard Time, BLOUSEFAMILY@... writes:
        This TV is 13 years old!   Thank You for any advice.
        Carefully cut through just ONE side of the power-cord to the middle, and pull slightly to insure the two ends no longer meet.  Be SURE to unplug the cord from the wall-outlet before you do so!  Might do this in more than one place, to both sides of the cord.  That obviously does not "total" the TV; it could be repaired with a 95¢ cord, though the cost of services of a TV technician to DO this repair would probably approach a car-payment, but it would surely be sufficiently frustrating (and fire-dangerous, actually!) to keep it unused at least until a repair were made to the cord.
      • Peter Homann
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
          Hi,

          Years ago when I was working as a teach in a service dept. we had a
          young guy on work experience who came complete with a radio. Well his
          choice of music didn't suit the rest of us. So, when he was at lunch we
          took the back of the radio and inserted a diode into one of the wires to
          the speaker.

          He took the radio home because it would tune in to a station any more.
          Or so he thought. :-)

          One way to disable the TV is to put some clear sticky tape over one of
          the power plug pins. They will never know. Electrical apprentice 101. :-)

          Cheers,

          Peter.

          JanRwl@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 12/1/2005 1:32:34 P.M. Central Standard Time,
          > BLOUSEFAMILY@... writes:
          >
          > This TV is 13 years old! Thank You for any advice.
          >
          > Carefully cut through just ONE side of the power-cord to the middle, and
          > pull slightly to insure the two ends no longer meet. Be SURE to unplug
          > the cord from the wall-outlet before you do so! Might do this in more
          > than one place, to both sides of the cord. That obviously does not
          > "total" the TV; it could be repaired with a 95¢ cord, though the cost of
          > services of a TV technician to DO this repair would probably approach a
          > car-payment, but it would surely be sufficiently frustrating (and
          > fire-dangerous, actually!) to keep it unused at least until a repair
          > were made to the cord.

          > Electronics
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electronics&w1=Electronics&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Digital+electronics&w5=Hobbies+and+crafts&w6=Electronics+hobby&c=6&s=134&.sig=QwpBOUS8SWv7vAvIx9ZGfA>
          > Hobby and craft supply
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Electronics&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Digital+electronics&w5=Hobbies+and+crafts&w6=Electronics+hobby&c=6&s=134&.sig=TpboVC9VYCZGjCMOWDUkbQ>
          > Craft hobby
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Electronics&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Digital+electronics&w5=Hobbies+and+crafts&w6=Electronics+hobby&c=6&s=134&.sig=NQAjrCNncWXFHEyY6u0gxQ>
          >
          > Digital electronics
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Digital+electronics&w1=Electronics&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Digital+electronics&w5=Hobbies+and+crafts&w6=Electronics+hobby&c=6&s=134&.sig=1EJ3wzd8PXNMDsiQa935yQ>
          > Hobbies and crafts
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobbies+and+crafts&w1=Electronics&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Digital+electronics&w5=Hobbies+and+crafts&w6=Electronics+hobby&c=6&s=134&.sig=CePgvwB6qoTgYsVPtui66g>
          > Electronics hobby
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electronics+hobby&w1=Electronics&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Digital+electronics&w5=Hobbies+and+crafts&w6=Electronics+hobby&c=6&s=134&.sig=Pm5SgoiDe6WUaN459Mg2vA>

          Web: www.homanndesigns.com
          email: homann@...
          Phone: +61 421 601 665
          www.homanndesigns.com/ModIO.html - Modbus Interface Unit
          www.homanndesigns.com/DigiSpeedDeal.html - DC Spindle control
          www.homanndesigns.com/TurboTaig.html - Taig Mill Upgrade board
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
            On Thursday 01 December 2005 02:28 pm, nicobreagrace wrote:
            > Hello, I would like to know of ways I can put my TV out of commission
            > FOR GOOD! My family is addicted and won't turn it off so I have to
            > secretly do some thing short of dropping it on the floor. Some one
            > said pour soda inside of it. Will that work? Or can some one give me
            > some other ways that won't be detected. This TV is 13 years old! Thank
            > You for any advice.

            Don Lancaster had an illustration in one of his books, where he outlined a
            procedure that went something like this:

            1. Unplug the tv!
            2. Cut the line cord 3 inches or less from each end.
            3. Dispose of the bit in the middle that you removed.

            ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
            be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
            -
            M Dakin
          • Robert Bienenfeld
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
              I know there is a jammer chip, or transistor, or diode (type of diode) that for ordinary antenna type t.v., will jam the T.V with a simple circuit configured with the component. But I forgot the name or type of the component.

              "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason@...> wrote:
              On Thursday 01 December 2005 02:28 pm, nicobreagrace wrote:
              > Hello, I would like to know of ways I can put my TV out of commission
              > FOR GOOD! My family is addicted and won't turn it off so I have to
              > secretly do some thing short of dropping it on the floor. Some one
              > said pour soda inside of it. Will that work? Or can some one give me
              > some other ways that won't be detected. This TV is 13 years old! Thank
              > You for any advice.

              Don Lancaster had an illustration in one of his books,  where he outlined a
              procedure that went something like this:

              1.  Unplug the tv!
              2.  Cut the line cord 3 inches or less from each end.
              3.  Dispose of the bit in the middle that you removed.

              ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can
              be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
              -
              M Dakin

              Robert Bienenfeld

              Yahoo! Personals
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                On Friday 02 December 2005 03:38 pm, Robert Bienenfeld wrote:
                > I know there is a jammer chip, or transistor, or diode (type of diode) that
                > for ordinary antenna type t.v., will jam the T.V with a simple circuit
                > configured with the component. But I forgot the name or type of the
                > component.

                I'm not even going to touch this one, because as soon as you start talking
                about jamming broadcast signals you start talking about taking on not only
                the set in question but also the others nearby and then getting "authorities"
                of one sort or another involved, with results that are not likely to be at
                all fun.

                The reply I posted was in jest, and should be taken that way. If the person
                involved has a serious issue with his spouse and family tending to spend too
                much time watching TV then that's something that they're going to have to
                work through themselves, not look for any technical solution for. I have
                the same problem myself to some extent, particularly with the younger
                members of the family, like my grandkids. They seem to think it's "normal"
                to have a tv on constantly, the whole time they're awake, and I see this as
                a bad thing. I also don't see this as a technical problem, so this will be
                the end of my discussion of it in here.

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 3, 2005
                  Your right! ("my fault"), but I do remember, in either "Nuts & Volts" magazine, or one of the companies advertised in them, that sent me a catalog (from them), awhile back, it was "in the catalog", as far as a "gag" (it was a legitimate component used for real reasons) "transistor", "diode", or "chip" ("my memory fails me to what it was") with a "simple" circuit, it could achieve a T.V. jamming effect.

                  I'll end the discussion on this T.V. jamming, diatribe.