Re: [Electronics_101] Lithium Batteries.

    Message 1 of 21 , May 2, 2005
      On Monday 02 May 2005 05:27 pm, JanRwl@... wrote:
      > In a message dated 5/2/2005 2:23:44 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      > logicresearch@... writes:
      >
      > how can I get a constant 12v
      > current.
      >

      > Daryl: "current" is Amps and "12v" is a VOLTAGE. This matter is very
      > confused! Hey, Experts: Are you telling him he needs constant CURRENT or
      > constant VOLTAGE? Because they cannot BOTH be "constant" as the cells
      > charge!!!!!!!!!!!!

      I think what was trying to be said there was that both need to be _limited_...
      Message 2 of 21 , May 2, 2005
        On Mon, 2 May 2005 17:27:28 EDT, <JanRwl@...> wrote:

        > Daryl: "current" is Amps and "12v" is a VOLTAGE. This matter is very
        > confused! Hey, Experts: Are you telling him he needs constant CURRENT
        > or constant VOLTAGE? Because they cannot BOTH be "constant" as the
        > cells charge!!!!!!!!!!!!

        well, yes, actually both.
        First constant current and then constant voltage ;-)
        (This charge mode is really called CC/CV, no shit).

        It is really a current limit and voltage limit, whichever is lower is
        determining.

        ST
      • Norm Carlberg
        Message 3 of 21 , May 2, 2005
          See page 19 of http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM117.pdf LM317

          Norm

          >> Daryl: "current" is Amps and "12v" is a VOLTAGE. This matter is very
          >> confused! Hey, Experts: Are you telling him he needs constant CURRENT
          >> or constant VOLTAGE? Because they cannot BOTH be "constant" as the
          >> cells charge!!!!!!!!!!!!
          >

          > well, yes, actually both.
          > First constant current and then constant voltage ;-)
          > (This charge mode is really called CC/CV, no shit).
          >
          > It is really a current limit and voltage limit, whichever is lower is
          > determining.
          >
          > ST

        • Daryl Mills
          Message 4 of 21 , May 2, 2005
            Sweeeeet,

            ok that's easy enough now - next part is - "what should I limit the current
            too and is 9.0V right or should the charging voltage be a little higher such
            as 9.3V.

            I'm using 3 of 400 mAh 3V PCB mounted cells in series ( not 4 as I may have
            mentioned) - the circuit doesn't mind what voltage it runs at.

            By the way, thanks for the help.

            Daryl.

            >> Daryl: "current" is Amps and "12v" is a VOLTAGE. This matter is very
            >> confused! Hey, Experts: Are you telling him he needs constant CURRENT
            >> or constant VOLTAGE? Because they cannot BOTH be "constant" as the
            >> cells charge!!!!!!!!!!!!
            >

            > well, yes, actually both.
            > First constant current and then constant voltage ;-)
            > (This charge mode is really called CC/CV, no shit).
            >
            > It is really a current limit and voltage limit, whichever is lower is
            > determining.
            >
            > ST
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Daryl Mills
            Message 5 of 21 , May 2, 2005
              Thanks Norm,

              I like the simple one on the bottom of page 17 - space wise for my project.

              The 117 will set me back nearly $55 so it's a no-go.

              Do you think the 317 would do the same thing?

              Daryl.

              Message 6 of 21 , May 2, 2005
                On Tue, 03 May 2005 14:37:27 +1200, Daryl Mills
                <logicresearch@...> wrote:

                > Sweeeeet,
                > ok that's easy enough now - next part is - "what should I limit the
                > current
                > too and is 9.0V right or should the charging voltage be a little higher
                > such
                > as 9.3V.
                > I'm using 3 of 400 mAh 3V PCB mounted cells in series ( not 4 as I may
                > have
                > mentioned) - the circuit doesn't mind what voltage it runs at.
                > By the way, thanks for the help.
                > Daryl.

                You must use the literature here. the voltage must be very precise for
                lithium batteries, and the current must be matched to the battery. Look in
                the datasheet of your cells.

                ST
              • Giuliani
                Message 7 of 21 , May 3, 2005
                  Here you can find a simple schematic for a charger with
                  limited current and voltage.

                  Bye.
                  Giuliano

                  >>> Daryl:  "current" is Amps and "12v" is a VOLTAGE.  This matter is very
                  >>> confused!  Hey, Experts:  Are you telling him he needs constant CURRENT
                  >>> or constant VOLTAGE?  Because they cannot BOTH be "constant" as the
                  >>> cells charge!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  >>

                  >> well, yes, actually both.
                  >> First constant current and then constant voltage ;-)
                  >> (This charge mode is really called CC/CV, no shit).
                  >>
                  >> It is really a current limit and voltage limit, whichever is lower is
                  >> determining.
                  >>
                  >> ST
                  >>

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Vito Russo
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 3, 2005
                    Bye
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 3, 2005
                      On Tue, 3 May 2005 10:38:07 +0200, Giuliani <julcat@...> wrote:

                      > Here you can find a simple schematic for a charger with limited current
                      > and voltage. http://shdesigns.org/lionchg.html Bye.Giuliano

                      Now THAT is the one i was looking for.
                      I knew it was out there...

                      Wouldn't it be great to have a option in google "only pages which i have
                      seen before" that remembers where you have been, forever?
                      (Oh well, but then, i guess it could be a serious privacy issue ;-) )

                      ST
                    • smgutsch
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 26, 2005
                        Have you looked at the LM317 adjustable voltage regulator? It can be
                        wired for current regulation. See National Semiconductor's Spec sheet
                        for it. There is a battery charger circuit shown there.

                        Steve
                      • Daryl Mills
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 26, 2005
                          Yes the good ol' 317 - I purchased a packet of them I now everything I make gets one.

                          Daryl.