Re: [Electronics_101] Re: hand winding toroids.

  • GT Bradley
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2001
      No,
      no magnet wire, so I improvised, in amongst the #00 grounding wire
      and 12-3 power cable I found some security wire that was sold by the
      foot, an was made of a pair of 22 gauge wire, inside a plenium (sp?)
      with a unshielded ground wire. I had to strip the wire from the inside,
      and I just used one strand. unfortunately, the plastic insulator made
      the wire thicker than the equivalent magnet wire, so the table I looked
      up max loops for a core-size/wire-guage was off by a factor of two. For
      this application the additional voltage ripple should not be a problem.

      In the future, I'll probably just see about ordering the toroids premade
      from Mouser or DigiKey, but I wanted to go through the effort at least
      once. It gave me a chance (reason) to think more on inductors than ever
      before.
      GT