Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: IC to change frequency of sinewave input

Expand Messages
  • 73227.1605@compuserve.com
    ... that ... accomplish ... look into an IC called Top-Octave divider - you give it a clock frequency somewhere above what you wish to obtain, and it
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2001
      --- In Electronics_101@y..., "Tako Oda" <toda@m...> wrote:
      > --- In Electronics_101@y..., Steve <73227.1605@c...> wrote:
      > > There's a couple of possible ways this could be done, but
      > > probably not with just a single IC, and it isn't a particularly
      > > easy task to accomplish, either.
      > Steve,
      > I was afraid of that! It's so easy to do digitally, I got kind of
      > spoiled :-) Basically, I'm making an analog musical instrument
      > plays two notes at a constant relative frequency interval of 5:1 (a
      > major 10th). Very much like the 2.5 foot stop on a pipe organ.
      > You are absolutely right, though, there are easier ways to
      > this (like just using two separate oscillators for each pitch), but
      > it sounded like it would be fun to create both tones from the same
      > source.

      look into an IC called 'Top-Octave divider' - you give it a 'clock'
      frequency somewhere above what you wish to obtain, and it produces
      simultaneous output signals covering a full chromatic 12-tone scale
      from say C to C'... Mostek used to make it, I'd bet there's other
      available.. then using a simple keying arrangement, analog switches
      perhaps, and a summing op-amp, you can produce any chords you wish
      to, many electric organs have been designed this way, using simple RC
      networks to integrate the square-wave outputs into something more
      like a rounded sawtooth...

      Steve H.
      > Thanks! I'll use my time and energy in more fruitful pursuits :P
      > Tako Oda
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.