Re: [Electronics_101] Re: Yahoo problems? Waddabout Intel ?

    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2004
      On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 05:19:18 -0000, Dave Mucha <dave_mucha@...>
      wrote:

      > I was told that Intel has switched from shooting for speed to
      > shooting for ultamate power savings and slower processors.
      > Personally, I would like to get a noiseless machine. I have long
      > since passed the time when I needed speed.

      Hehe come here and see, or better hear.... nothing ;-)

      All watercooled system and soundproofed harddisks... What a treat!
      My machine is a AMD 700 running at 1000 or so, and the only thing i can't
      do is play
      the newest games, which i don't need (but i think the video card is
      limiting here).

      I use the machine for TV, viewing and recoding satellite TV (even with
      timeshift, rec and play
      simultaneously) with no problems. So it is fast enough for me.

      What i notice is that newer cad software (like PTC pro engineer) needs a
      lot of system power, more
      than say autocad. (if you think autocad worked so well on dos machines....)

      It would probably be very easy for intel etc. to make a silent (passive
      cooled) processor at, say 1Ghz,
      with newer technology. But harddisks are still noisy, and without
      watercooling they die of heat in a soundproof compartment.

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2004
        I think I described my FPGA Z80 emulations with CP/M 2.2. Well,
        that machine is totally silent. No moving parts at all.

        The bad news: it takes 5 minutes to compile the VHDL code on a 1.4
        GHz Celeron versus on 3 minutes on a 3 GHz laptop (not mine). Now,
        the laptop has a really slow hard disk so I figure if I buy a 3.6
        GHz tower I could get the thing done in 2 minutes. Five minutes is
        a LONG TIME. Of course I have been reluctant to break free with the
        money to buy such a machine - maybe 5 minutes isn't all that long.

        I should be receiving a laptop hard drive to replace the one in my
        firewall. That old 3-1/2" drive is just plain noisy. Maybe the
        laptop drive will quiet the box down. The system only needs about
        500 MB so a 2GB hard disk should be more that adequate.

        Speed is everything - how fast can you afford to go!

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2004
          On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:36:13 -0000, rtstofer <rstofer@...> wrote:

          > Speed is everything - how fast can you afford to go!

          How fast are they willing to make their sofware?
          I agree that some things need processing power, but todays software is
          often written with
          "the next processor" in mind, not the current, and optimising it is
          ignored.
          I did most things i do today with the 1ghz machine on a 486 25Mhz, maybe
          10% wasn't possible then.
          They flew to the moon with less processing power than a pocket calculator,
          and today you need
          a 50Mhz processor or so just to open that car door. Why? because the 50Mhz
          processor is cheap
          and people are reluctant to think of easy solutions.

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2004
            On Wednesday 01 December 2004 04:46 am, Stefan Trethan wrote:

            > I use the machine for TV, viewing and recoding satellite TV (even with
            > timeshift, rec and play simultaneously) with no problems. So it is fast
            > enough for me.

            This is of some interest to me, did you have to get a special video card, a
            tv card, or what?