Re: Yahoo problems? Waddabout Intel ?

  • Dave Mucha
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 30, 2004
      > I asked around on the user
      > forum because I wanted to buy one of those fanless 600 MHz VIA CL
      > motherboards (no noise)
      > <snip>

      I was told that Intel has switched from shooting for speed to
      shooting for ultamate power savings and slower processors.

      Personally, I would like to get a noiseless machine. I have long
      since passed the time when I needed speed.

      My CAD used to take 20 minutes to do a huge file redraw. A 386 with
      8 meg memory took that to about 3 minutes. My 200 took it to about
      8 seconds and my 800 does it in about 3 seconds.

      The 400 was where it lost importance for me.

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2004
        On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 05:19:18 -0000, Dave Mucha <dave_mucha@...>
        wrote:

        > I was told that Intel has switched from shooting for speed to
        > shooting for ultamate power savings and slower processors.
        > Personally, I would like to get a noiseless machine. I have long
        > since passed the time when I needed speed.

        Hehe come here and see, or better hear.... nothing ;-)

        All watercooled system and soundproofed harddisks... What a treat!
        My machine is a AMD 700 running at 1000 or so, and the only thing i can't
        do is play
        the newest games, which i don't need (but i think the video card is
        limiting here).

        I use the machine for TV, viewing and recoding satellite TV (even with
        timeshift, rec and play
        simultaneously) with no problems. So it is fast enough for me.

        What i notice is that newer cad software (like PTC pro engineer) needs a
        lot of system power, more
        than say autocad. (if you think autocad worked so well on dos machines....)

        It would probably be very easy for intel etc. to make a silent (passive
        cooled) processor at, say 1Ghz,
        with newer technology. But harddisks are still noisy, and without
        watercooling they die of heat in a soundproof compartment.

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2004
          I think I described my FPGA Z80 emulations with CP/M 2.2. Well,
          that machine is totally silent. No moving parts at all.

          The bad news: it takes 5 minutes to compile the VHDL code on a 1.4
          GHz Celeron versus on 3 minutes on a 3 GHz laptop (not mine). Now,
          the laptop has a really slow hard disk so I figure if I buy a 3.6
          GHz tower I could get the thing done in 2 minutes. Five minutes is
          a LONG TIME. Of course I have been reluctant to break free with the
          money to buy such a machine - maybe 5 minutes isn't all that long.

          I should be receiving a laptop hard drive to replace the one in my
          firewall. That old 3-1/2" drive is just plain noisy. Maybe the
          laptop drive will quiet the box down. The system only needs about
          500 MB so a 2GB hard disk should be more that adequate.

          Speed is everything - how fast can you afford to go!

          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2004
            On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:36:13 -0000, rtstofer <rstofer@...> wrote:

            > Speed is everything - how fast can you afford to go!

            How fast are they willing to make their sofware?
            I agree that some things need processing power, but todays software is
            often written with
            "the next processor" in mind, not the current, and optimising it is
            ignored.
            I did most things i do today with the 1ghz machine on a 486 25Mhz, maybe
            10% wasn't possible then.
            They flew to the moon with less processing power than a pocket calculator,
            and today you need
            a 50Mhz processor or so just to open that car door. Why? because the 50Mhz
            processor is cheap
            and people are reluctant to think of easy solutions.

            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 1, 2004
              On Wednesday 01 December 2004 04:46 am, Stefan Trethan wrote:

              > I use the machine for TV, viewing and recoding satellite TV (even with
              > timeshift, rec and play simultaneously) with no problems. So it is fast
              > enough for me.

              This is of some interest to me, did you have to get a special video card, a
              tv card, or what?