Re: [Electronics_101] Re: AM antenna

  • Jim Purcell
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
      mrostamy,

      > The theory behind antenas is really fascinating and rather difficult,
      > >
      > > You're making it way to complicated. Most tuners will work find with
      > > just a length of wire connected to them, as long as possible, but
      > you
      > > don't need/want a 1/4 wave length.
      >
      > Well...maybe the post was too dull or over-technical for the more
      > practical minded.

      Nothing wrong with explaining things but if someone asks what time
      it is don't be surprised if their eyes glaze over. Personally I love
      explaining technical details, but I have learned to make certain
      that the reader/listener really wants that.

      > It may be
      > that the objective of this forum is to solve people´s doubts and
      > questions, however why not try to gain some insight?

      The objective of any technical forum is to answer the questions asked.
      If someone asks a basic question and you trot out a lot of theory the
      person may not understand what you are writing about. And they
      may not want all the theory yet.

      > If you read my post carefully, I never even suggested that a 1/4 wave
      > length antenna be used in this AM application. Why did you repeat the
      > calculations I wrote down?

      Sorry, my eyes glazed over too.

      > At the end of the post I suggested two very simple, cost effective
      > and comercially available indoor AM antennas. I have tried and
      > characterized both of them on an S meter and found them ok for
      > domestic operation!

      Most hi fi tuners have just a single screw terminal for AM, if they
      even bother with AM. Anything more complicated than a length
      of wire would be overkill.

      > Maybe your last post wasn´t intended as an answer to my post...

      Yes, my reply was to your message. The best approach to any
      questioner is the simplest answer, then ask if he wants more
      details.

      Jim