RE: alternators and relays-Mark Kinsler

  • Sunantoro
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2001
      Mark, I believe it is too conventional to say that Alternator is used
      EXCLUSIVELY to charge a battery.

      When we discuss the function of automotive alternator, it must be in the
      engine running contex. In this situation, ALL regular consumption of
      electricity is provided by the Alternator, including the replenishment of
      those consumption from the battery during engine off and during engine
      start.
      When we use the conventional understanding, we might be in trouble adding
      an-Ampere meter in our car.
      During engine off, all the electricity are provided by the battery, but once
      the engine runs, the alternator takes-over that task. The battery is then
      functioning as: 1) Auxiliary (?) for transient electricity loads such as
      turn signals, horns and brake lamps; 2) Part of Alternator's load,
      especially during current replenishment.
      Regards,
      SUNAN