automotive voltage regulator

  • Sunantoro
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2001
      Today's cars are equiped with IC voltage regulator within the alternator.
      Looking at the compact physical size of such regulator, one will guess that
      the internal circuitry is simple. Could somebody elaborate this?
      Thanks,

      SUNAN
    • mrostamy@yahoo.co.uk
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2001
        > Today's cars are equiped with IC voltage regulator within the
        alternator.
        > Looking at the compact physical size of such regulator, one will
        guess that
        > the internal circuitry is simple. Could somebody elaborate this?
        > Thanks,

        HI!
        It is true that todays modern cars have an IC voltage regulator, but
        that is the simple part of the system. The alternator itself is
        rather "inteligent", and uses the same basic principle for more than
        30 years. First of all you shloud bare in mind that the Alternator is
        tri phased. This is mainly to ensure a better volumetric efficiency (
        although it also produces a smoother output voltage). The Alternator
        is being rev'ed at a speed that is porportional to the cranckshaft
        so, if it were a normal alternator the higher the speed the higher
        the voltage. Now if one were to reduce the voltage created at high
        rev's there would be a huge amount of energy waste. In Practice the
        alternator senses the current being drawn from it and using a very
        clever feedback mechanism adapts itself to the needs of the car, and
        also of the rev's of the engine. To accomplish this, the outer coil´s
        (fixed outer inductor) current is changed in order to produce more or
        less magnetic field, depending on the load put on the alternator. As
        a result, the induced (central and rotating) coil will enable power
        according to the needs of the car.

        The output current is then rectified (full wave) using 6 diodes and
        is finally presented to a simple voltage regulator.
      • Mark Williams
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2001
          Message: 11
          Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 09:07:34 +0700
          From: Sunantoro <SUNANTORO@...>
          Subject: automotive voltage regulator

          Today's cars are equiped with IC voltage regulator within the alternator.
          Looking at the compact physical size of such regulator, one will guess that
          the internal circuitry is simple. Could somebody elaborate this?
          Thanks,

          SUNAN

          Sunan, Take a look at the spec sheets on any IC manufacturer's site
          http://us.st.com/stonline/index.shtml is a good example. They have data
          sheets in .PDF format which give a complete schematic of the IC.

          Hope that helps.

          Mark
        • Sunantoro
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2001
            Mrostamy thanks,
            Does it mean that the IC voltage regulator prerequisites different working
            method from the traditional relay voltage regulator? The traditional one
            regulates the output voltage by giving more or less input current to the
            revolving winding (the Field winding).
            Forgive me if this doesn't sound electronic.

            SUNAN

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2001
              Great site, Mark!
              Thankyou very much.