Re: [Electronics_101] Solder smoke extraction

    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 3, 2004
      a interesting push/pull system.
      I'm not sure how the push bar can be implemented but it is very interesting
      to read without push it is only half effective.
      <http://www.abdn.ac.uk/deom/resvent.hti>
      The airflow is quite high, but then it is a fairly big setup.

      I know for sure that i get a sore throat when soldering, which made
      me think about it. Wasn't the case in the past but reading about
      sensitising makes it more plausible. I don't like that one bit.

      I believe some experimenting will be needed to determine which method
      (or combination) of fume catching is best.

      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 8, 2004
        On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 19:54:11 -0000, Phil <phil1960us@...> wrote:

        > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
        > <stefan_trethan@g...> wrote:
        >> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 16:58:30 -0700 (PDT), mpdickens <md30022@y...>
        >> wrote:
        >>
        >> The kitchen fume exhaust ALSO ends in the attic and believe me
        > there is NO
        >> smell
        >> going back inside the house.
        >>

        > Forgive me for being OT but I find it amazing that there are places
        > where kitchen exhausts are in attics. The grease accumulation from
        > that over time (hot grease/oil vapors + cold attic = slime layer) has
        > to be really nasty. I know the inside top of my kitchen exhaust
        > stack where it goes outside was kind of greasy after 3 years and we
        > dont cook that much (or use that much oil, either).

        There is a paper filter in the fume hood.
        You can find a small greasy spot on the roof where it ends, but hey, after
        25 years or so....
        I remember at my grandmother's house it's the same, there is no greasy
        spot after....
        forever i guess... (though she used to keep a mesh over the outlet to keep
        the mice from coming down ;-)).

        As said, many attics here are practically considered outside, just with a
        roof over.
        There are boxes up there which get a layer of dust over the years, but it
        isn't a slimy layer.
        I reckon most of it is blown in by the wind, or created by the chimney
        sweeper (there is a door
        in the chimney up there). So you see, no problems, no slime.