Re: [Electronics_101] Solder smoke extraction

    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 3, 2004
      > You kind of have to be careful how you thread your way through this
      > space,
      > that's for sure. Not that dangerous, though, worst that would happen
      > is a
      > box might fall on your foot.

      On the page we discussed was clearly work done on a PC SMPS on the very
      edge
      of a totally cluttered bench.
      I'd not call that workplace safety.

      At one point i got fed up that i can't use most of my tools because they
      are "somewhere under that" and decided i need to reorganize things.
      Now i try to at least clear off the bench before i start a new project, and
      finish one after the other.

      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 8, 2004
        On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 19:54:11 -0000, Phil <phil1960us@...> wrote:

        > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
        > <stefan_trethan@g...> wrote:
        >> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 16:58:30 -0700 (PDT), mpdickens <md30022@y...>
        >> wrote:
        >>
        >> The kitchen fume exhaust ALSO ends in the attic and believe me
        > there is NO
        >> smell
        >> going back inside the house.
        >>

        > Forgive me for being OT but I find it amazing that there are places
        > where kitchen exhausts are in attics. The grease accumulation from
        > that over time (hot grease/oil vapors + cold attic = slime layer) has
        > to be really nasty. I know the inside top of my kitchen exhaust
        > stack where it goes outside was kind of greasy after 3 years and we
        > dont cook that much (or use that much oil, either).

        There is a paper filter in the fume hood.
        You can find a small greasy spot on the roof where it ends, but hey, after
        25 years or so....
        I remember at my grandmother's house it's the same, there is no greasy
        spot after....
        forever i guess... (though she used to keep a mesh over the outlet to keep
        the mice from coming down ;-)).

        As said, many attics here are practically considered outside, just with a
        roof over.
        There are boxes up there which get a layer of dust over the years, but it
        isn't a slimy layer.
        I reckon most of it is blown in by the wind, or created by the chimney
        sweeper (there is a door
        in the chimney up there). So you see, no problems, no slime.