Parallel Port Interrupt

  • adityanewalkar@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
      Hi,
      In EPP mode if the peripheral wants to communicate something to the
      PC, is there a way to interrupt the PC??

      Though there is an interrupt bit defined in the standards, Control
      Port bit number 4 called Enable Interrupt Request; I am not finding
      any resources on the perticular thing. Can somebody tell me sources
      describing SPECIFICALLY ABOUT PARLLEL PORT INTERRUPT??

      Please don't give me some sites giving BASIC information. I want
      specifically PARALLEL PORT INTERRUPT.

      Thanx in advance.

      Aditya N.
    • manifold
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
        How's this:

        Interrupt Enable Bit
        The parallel port interrupt was intended to allow interrupt-driven
        transmission of data to a printer, but is not used by DOS and BIOS.
        Versions of OS/2 prior to Warp (3.0) required the interrupt for
        printing, but from Warp onwards the interrupt is not required (though
        it can be used if the /IRQ switch is provided on the line in
        CONFIG.SYS, e.g. BASEDEV=PRINT0x.SYS /IRQ).
        The interrupt control bit controls a tri-state buffer that drives the
        IRQ (interrupt request) line. Setting the bit to 1 enables the
        buffer, and an IRQ will be triggered on each rising edge (low to high
        transition) of the -ACK signal on pin 10 of the 25-pin connector.
        Disabling the buffer allows other devices to use the IRQ line.
        Important note: some older parallel ports trigger the interrupt on
        the falling edge of -ACK.

        --- In Electronics_101@y..., adityanewalkar@y... wrote:
        > Hi,
        > In EPP mode if the peripheral wants to communicate something
        to the
        > PC, is there a way to interrupt the PC??
        >
        > Though there is an interrupt bit defined in the standards,
        Control
        > Port bit number 4 called Enable Interrupt Request; I am not finding
        > any resources on the perticular thing. Can somebody tell me sources
        > describing SPECIFICALLY ABOUT PARLLEL PORT INTERRUPT??
        >
        > Please don't give me some sites giving BASIC information. I
        want
        > specifically PARALLEL PORT INTERRUPT.
        >
        > Thanx in advance.
        >
        > Aditya N.
      • GT Bradley
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
          try looking at http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm

          it has links to more information on parallel ports than almost anyone
          could want.
          GT

        • adityanewalkar@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2001
            Hi,
            Thank you. That was all that was needed. Thanx for your time.

            regds,
            Aditya N.