Re: [Electronics_101] clarification on my video and radio question

  • Himanshu Sharma
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
      hey ,

      try and read RS485...that will help you have digital signal speed of about
      2Mbps... and believe me Digital is easy and better when it comes to working
      with signals and you can control them easily...(synchronous and
      asynchronous...)

      Regards :-),

      --himanshu sharma
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001

        I want to make a complex robot. To keep it simple right now I just want the
        robot to send video, temperature, and altitude.

        I have used a LM140 temperature sensor, whose output in 10 mV per degree Kelvin.  I ran the output to a 10 bit A/D converter input on a PIC microcontroller.  After scaling the data I then output it from the PIC to a PC via an RS-232 driver chip, a MAX232.  This allows me to display temperature in Celsius on a PC.  Similar temperature sensors are avilable whose outputs are scaled to degrees C or F.
      • mrostamy@yahoo.co.uk
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2001
          I was thinking I can go digital or analog. When would you use
          > digital or analog?

          Hi!
          Going Digital or analog depends on many factors such as the nature of
          the information you want to transmit, the channel´s proprieties, etc.
          Transmitting digital video at a beggining stage is not, to my
          understanding a good ideia because it implies codification, in order
          to reduce redundancy.

          I would say that a good start is to buy a simple analog TV
          transmitter. They cost around 10 Euros here in Portugal. That would
          be roughly 8 USD. They offer reasonable Picture quality and have a
          typical range of 30 meters.

          Now, as you know, the TV channel is composed of video and audio
          subchannels. What you can do very easily is to feed the video
          subchannel with your picture coming from a camera, and impose the
          aditional information on the audio subchannel. This very widely used
          technique in telephone systems is called "in band modulation". The
          audio subchannel is sufficiently large for you to make it carry sound
          as well as information from your sensors. The information from the
          sensors can modulate a low frequency oscillator, that feeds the
          transmitters audio input. Other techniques are possible. This really
          depends on the nature of the sensors.

          the hardest part is the reception. You would have to extract the
          sensor information from the recieved audio band. So, you can use a
          comon TV set and intercept the audio signal (say from the headphone
          or scart output) and decode it. Once temperature, altitude, humidity
          don´t really change very fast (unless you have free fall...) the
          sollution I propose is easy to achieve!

          Best of luck!
          Mehdi.
        • micro_mangal@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 12, 2001
            hai jon,
            first read ADC book . that will give u a clear picture of analog and
            digital converters.choose ADC of highere resoluton and conversion
            time best is AD576 which had 36 micro second conversion time.

            there are lot of muliplexer ICs are there in market. ex:4051 which
            combine 8 analog signals.

            best book to read is digital elctronics by simon haykins.

            Thanks,
            > :
            Jon
            > :
            > :
            > :
            > :
            > :
            > :
            > :
            > :
            > :
            > :
            > : First of all keep in mind I'm a beginner. I would appreciate the
            groups
            > help
            > : in directing me for my project. This is something I have always
            wanted to
            > : learn how to do. I think I want to make a carreer out of it.
            > :
            > : >From point A, I want to be able to take a video signal and other
            signals,
            > : combine them into one, then send them out via radio. Then from
            point B
            > : receive them, decode the signal, and use the video and other
            signals, for
            > : whatever purposes I need. I also need to be able, from point B,
            to combine
            > : other signals minus video this time, and send them via radio to
            point A,
            > and
            > : at point A decode those signals and use them.
            > :
            > : I can see many steps and components involved in getting this to
            work, and
            > : would highly appreciate the groups help.
            > : Thanks,
            > :
            Jon