Re: [Electronics_101] transformer scrounging

  • JanRwl@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 123 , Jul 1, 2004
      In a message dated 7/1/2004 1:19:32 PM Central Standard Time, chris2003@... writes:
      CANT use 3 separate single phase xformers winded into one to
      create 3 phase ??
      Yes, Chris, one CAN wire three separate identical single-phase transformers to a three-phase SOURCE to make a different three-phase OUTPUT.  But, no, you can NOT use three single-phase transformers to "make" three phase power!  I have HEARD of a transformer called a "Scott-T", but I have NO clue how it works, looks, works, or if it is even "any good at all".

      A purpose-wound (or re-wound) three-phase transformer (ONE chunk of boat-anchor) can NOT "generate" three phase by simply feeding single-phase to one of the windings.  I am not sure if this was part of the original question.  If not, ignore.

      ALL the three-phase stuff I have ever had reason to use runs on "208-240 three-phase", and I have 240 3-phase supplied by the power-company, so I do NOT have to "fuss with it".  Therefore, I have no experience with three-phase transformers, per-se.  I have only SEEN some, just as they had been completed by the "transformer man", but I did NOT ask him questions about the lash-up, nor do I recall if I even HAVE that described in a book on the shelves behind me.  BUT, after all this discussion, I will TRY to remember to look and see if I can FIND something logical and definitive.  If I do, I will see if I can "share" here, somehow.  "We'll see . . ."

      Jan Rowland

    • Chris
      Message 123 of 123 , Jul 8, 2004
        I have here a stepper motor driver, bought a wile ago never used, Microkinetikcs I believe retails at 150$ I will search for some info, super user friendly with onboard amperage selection VIA DIP switch.
        other neat stuff too...............Bipolar, so it can do both unipolar and bipolar, I will get more info if you are interested, selling very cheap, have no use for it, I also have a lead screw with anti backlash nut if any one wants it, perfect condition both!

        Thanx