[Electronics_101] tantalum capacitors - BE CAREFUL!!!!

    Message 1 of 123 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi all,

      Be careful when using tantalum caps!
      I just used 3 10u 25V caps in series.
      I when turning up the voltage to 65V they exploded.
      Two are blown up, the other is OK.

      Probably the capacitances mismatched and the two got overvoltage.

      What surprised me was the violence of the explosion.
      I'm used to electrolytics which have safety valves, and explode slowly.
      the ceramic drop has no such thing.

      It was a very sharp bang, and pieces flying everywhere.
      One piece landed on the table and burned the surface.

      I was damn lucky that no piece hit my eyes, i don't wear glasses when
      working with electronics...

      Just be careful guys, that was a mighty exlosion for such a tiny component.
      Connecing caps in series is a dangerous thing - avoid it.

      ST
    • Chris
      Message 123 of 123 , Jul 8, 2004
        I have here a stepper motor driver, bought a wile ago never used, Microkinetikcs I believe retails at 150$ I will search for some info, super user friendly with onboard amperage selection VIA DIP switch.
        other neat stuff too...............Bipolar, so it can do both unipolar and bipolar, I will get more info if you are interested, selling very cheap, have no use for it, I also have a lead screw with anti backlash nut if any one wants it, perfect condition both!

        Thanx