Re: multiple outputs from a micro - matrix

  • Dave Mucha
    Message 1 of 53 , Jun 2, 2004
      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alienrelics@y...> wrote:
      > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "leon_heller"
      > <leon.heller@d...> wrote:
      > > You could use four '595s in series. You will have to send a 32-bit
      > > word each time, even if you only want to change a couple of the
      > > outputs. The outputs are latched, so relays you want to stay on won't
      > > drop out whilst you are updating other outputs. You'd only need four
      > > outputs from the MCU, IIRC.
      >
      > Max7219 can be used as an 8 LED 7 seg decoder/driver/latch, or as a 64
      > output shift register/driver/latch. 3 wire serial input.
      >
      > It scans the 64 outputs as an 8x8 matrix, so keep that in mind. IE, it
      > does not have 64 individual physical outputs.

      The matrix is the problem. For outputs, it does not allow unlimited
      combinatons for individual outputs.

      For inputs, it looks neat.

      Message 53 of 53 , Jun 6, 2004
        On Saturday 05 June 2004 08:16 pm, Anthony Toft wrote:
        > > When asking for (or looking for) assistance in identifying parts, it's
        > > probably a good idea to say what it looks like! As in, what kind of a
        > > package it's in...

        > Sorry, 14 pin Dip.

        That's what I thought. :-)

        > > you have there is a "quad" transistor, and I can probably dig some more
        > > info on it out of an old data book or something...

        > Ooh, I hope they (I got 29 of them) are quad transistors, I will have to
        > think of some cool stuff to do with them!

        Someone else posted a link to the part that I saw after I posted that reply.
        If you can't find data on it, let me know and I'll do some digging...