Re: [Electronics_101] Newbie request

    Message 1 of 39 , May 30, 2004
      On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:10:19 -0400, Roy J. Tellason
      <rtellason@...> wrote:

      > On Sunday 30 May 2004 04:26 am, Stefan Trethan wrote:
      >
      >> hehe, the "hello world" of electrnics is a two-transistor astable
      >> multivibrator :-).
      >
      > No, it's a crystal radio...

      I don't think so.

      A crystal radio is much harder to understand i think (i never built one).
      You need to know of EM waves etc.
      We can make a poll if you want.

      Message 39 of 39 , May 31, 2004
        > St,
        >
        > I think you are right. I was assuming a 5V bulb. Somewhere I recall that
        > the life of a bulb corrolates to the 12th power of the applied voltage.
        >
        > Rick Sparber
        > rgsparber@...

        If you have a bulb which is really hard to change (e.g. attic, staircase,
        requiring 100
        ladders to reach) you can put a diode in series with the bulb. it will
        never fail.
        of course it will be dimmer and less effective. slight flicker at 50Hz
        (only visible if you know it).

        They could easily make bulbs that don't fail but they would be even less
        effective.
        (e.g. look at shock proof bulbs - worse energy class).
        It is also very bad for the manufacturers long-term sales figures if the
        bulbs don't fail.