GPS

  • uebermenchens
    Message 1 of 14 , May 14, 2004
      It it possible to make your own GPS module? If so where would I find
      some sort of plans or online resource? At microchip.com I found a
      GPS chip and was wondering if I could use that.

      Mark
    • uebermenchens

        Message 3 of 14 , May 15, 2004
          On Sat, 15 May 2004 15:49:35 -0000, uebermenchens <uebermenchens@...>
          wrote:

          > It it possible to make your own GPS module? If so where would I find
          > some sort of plans or online resource? At microchip.com I found a
          > GPS chip and was wondering if I could use that.
          >
          > Mark

          a collegue of mine made one i think..

          It is a hell lot of work and you are better off using a ready-made unit.
          and they are cheap too.

          If you REALLY want to get into it i can ask him, but i doubt there is any
          english documentation of what he has built...

          ST
        • uebermenchens
          Message 4 of 14 , May 17, 2004
            It would be really cool to get some info on what your friend made.
            Thanks
          • Tim Wade
            Message 5 of 14 , May 17, 2004
              If you are really keen there was, a few years ago, a series of articles
              on building a GPS receiver from scratch in the English electronics mag.
              Wireless World. I have seen pdf scans of the articles on the net. I
              cannot exactly remember how long ago but it was something like 1997/98
              or so. It was quite involved and went over a number of editions. There
              were two editions given over completely to the maths of the whole thing.
              It used some rather odd chips for the front end and also it used a
              transputer for the computing engine from memory... I suspect that you
              could do it with a DSP instead... In a previous job the company I worked
              for bought a VERY early Ashtech GPS receiver that had a lot of off the
              shelf stuff and used a Motorola 56K DSP to do the number crunching.

              This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
              Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of NAUTRONIX LTD.

              If you are not the intended recipient, you have received this email in error and use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
              this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender.

              Although our computer systems use active virus protection software, and we take various measures to reduce the risk of viruses
              being transmitted in e-mail messages and attachments sent from this company, we cannot guarantee that such e-mail messages
              and attachments are free from viruses on receipt. It is a condition of our using e-mail to correspond with you, that any and all liability
              on our part arising directly or indirectly out of any virus is excluded. Please ensure that you run virus checking software on all e-mail
              messages and attachments before reading them.
            • uebermenchens
              Message 6 of 14 , May 18, 2004
                Do you remember exactly where you cound the articles online?
                thanks for your help
              • Tim Wade
                Message 7 of 14 , May 18, 2004
                  I will have a look ~ I did take a copy... Unfortunately all the CD's
                  that they were backed up on were stolen a year ago :-( I will have to
                  see if I have got a print out or something to try and get the authors
                  name to narrow down the search...

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 19, 2004
                    thanks I will be looking forward to your response
                  • Tim Wade
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 23, 2004
                      Well I found a couple of things that may be of help...

                      The articles were written by Philip Mattos who worked at the time for
                      Inmos who made the transputer CPU. Inmos were then taken over by
                      SGS-Thompson who Philip still seems to work for. The magazine was
                      "Electronics World" not "Wireless World" as I originally remembered. The
                      articles were from end of 92 through to mid 93. I was unable to find the
                      original pdf scans of the articles but you can buy them from here:

                      http://www.softcopy.co.uk/mag/default.asp?dir=ew&p=fulllist&id=90

                      They are very interesting and I would recommend anybody interested in
                      understanding the underlying mechanisim of GPS to read them...

                      Cheers
                      Tim

                      --
[...]

                    • Leon Heller
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 1 1:10 PM
                        I've just got a u-blox LEA-4A GPS module working, interfaced to a PIC16F88.
                        The LEA-4A and 16F88 are on separate PCBs (home-made at this stage) as the
                        client wants the production unit (including a Siemens MC55 GSM module) as
                        small as possible, for vehicle tracking. I think I can get it down to about
                        3 cm x 3 cm x 2 cm excluding the battery.

                        Leon
                        --
                        Leon Heller, G1HSM
                        leon.heller@...

                        ---
                        [This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility
                        to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
                        currently using to read this email. ]
                      • akele4gps
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
                          we r planning to set up a gps system in some rural areas in india.
                          the primary objective being to locate a place during epidemic
                          condition so that our rescue team can reach there in time.

                          can anybody of u suggest whatever we'll need to make this project
                          successful?any ideas whatsoever.

                          the major limitation being the cost.
                        • Leon
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
                            > we r planning to set up a gps system in some rural areas in india.
                            > the primary objective being to locate a place during epidemic
                            > condition so that our rescue team can reach there in time.
                            >
                            > can anybody of u suggest whatever we'll need to make this project
                            > successful?any ideas whatsoever.
                            >
                            > the major limitation being the cost.

                            Have a look at the Telit GM862-GPS.

                            Leon
                            --
                            Leon Heller
                            Amateur radio call-sign G1HSM
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
                              Dear friend

                              I have a bit of experience in this , we have done a couple of projects
                              with this base line,

                              Things required for this project is as folows

                              1) A GPS Engine with antenna ( with 10 - 20 meter accuracy )
                              2) A GSM or A Dial up modem ( depending on the Lne connection ) ,
                              3) A small Embedded board to control the modem .

                              The Above mentioned items are required one set per village , if you are
                              planning to install in N village the cost gets multiplied by N .

                              You need one Modem and A PC in the Metro to receive all the information ,

                              This is some what similar like SCADA , when ever you want to know the
                              place you can Dial that particular location and get the information , we
                              have done something like this for the utility service .

                              This is just a jist of the project , it needs a very high man power effort
                              with the Electronics and the a bit of software knowledge .

                              I hope i have answered to a extent.

                              Rgds
                              Arunkumar

                              On 10/5/07, akele4gps <akele4gps@...> wrote:

                              > we r planning to set up a gps system in some rural areas in india.
                              > the primary objective being to locate a place during epidemic
                              > condition so that our rescue team can reach there in time.
                              >
                              > can anybody of u suggest whatever we'll need to make this project
                              > successful?any ideas whatsoever.
                              >
                              > the major limitation being the cost.

                              --
                              success is a point where hardwork and luck converges

                              Regards
                              Arunkumar

                            • akele akele
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 6, 2007