automatic powersupply activation

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2004
      I would like to put some kind of sensor on a power supply to detect
      when something's connected to it, and turn itself on. it's the 1000
      watt one I've talked about on here before. it's output is 12v, but it
      has a 24v transformer in it to run 2 relays and a soft start circuit.
      what I was thinking of doing somehow, is take some of the 24v power
      and put it thru the coil of a small relay and connect it to the
      output of the power supply, with maybe a 2w resistor in there.

      I have a microcontroller I could use in the project if needed. some
      kind of ampmeter connected to the existing wire from the rectifire
      bridge to the output might work, but it might have to be pretty
      sensitive. the output ranges from about 2 amps to around 80 amps 12v.
      I would like it to shut off if it drops below 1 amp or so. any ideas?

      Matthew Kemmerer
      Mattsoft.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2004
        You need to apply a voltage to the output, an as soon as a certain current
        flows you switch
        on the supply. The relais is a good idea but only if the output of the
        supply has
        a diode in it (otherwise the output cap will charge to 24V.)

        ST