87539Re: [Electronics_101] how do pure sinewave invertors work?

  • Jong Kung
    Jun 20, 2014
      Dan,

      It's a very good question. Here in hawaii, they have a LOT of roof top solar panels. And they feed the grid during the daytime and then the house use (get fed) by the grid when there no sun or weak sun.

      I always wondered how they (a) create sine wave to feed the power into the grid (b) sync the phase.

      Also, for the current to flow backwards into the grid, the voltage has to be higher than the grid voltage, but if everybody in town has a panel, then the average grid voltage will be higher again and get no current (or power) flowing into the grid.

      What up ????

      =====

      But first, the original OP's question.

      Jong

      On Jun 20, 2014, at 7:17 PM, "'A6intruder@...' A6intruder@... [Electronics_101]" <Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > I am curious about the "how" they create "pure sine wave" output on these
      > invertors?
      >
      > I understand that the modified sine wave use pulse width modulation to
      > roughly approximate a sine wave.
      >
      > Do the "pure sine wave" invertors do the same thing except the use a much
      > finer PWM with better feedback to maintain a specific quality of the "sine
      > wave shape" under varying load conditions?
      >
      > Or, instead of very closely approximating with PWM, do pure sine wave
      > inverters use a linear component and literally change the voltage output to
      > make the pure sine wave without using PWM?
      >
      > I know if you smoothly vary the voltage to a transistor Base, the "output" (
      > collector-emitter voltage ) will vary smoothly (within limits).
      >
      > But, for an inverter carrying heavy loads, wouldn't most transistors waste a
      > lot power through excessive heat?
      >
      > Is there another electronic component that allows this process to be done
      > efficiently?
      >
      > Always trying to learn,
      >
      > Dan Nicoson

      > Posted by: "A6intruder@..." <a6intruder@...>