81900Re: [Electronics_101] Re: Inexpensive GPM meter

    May 8, 2013
      Some flow meters use ultrasonic waves, very ingenious.

      Any kind of orifice device may reduce the flow rate you try to measure.

      I just had another idea, do you have a water meter?
      If you have one, just turn on the taps in question and time the little wheel.

      On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Howard Hansen <hrhan@...> wrote:
      > Certainly, as suggested by others, timing how long it takes to fill a
      > container is the lowest cost approach.
      > For an electronic approach you could use 3 flow meters like the
      > following connected in parallel.
      > <http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/g12-water-flow-sensor-p-635.html>
      > 25 GPM = 94.6 liters per minute.
      > To ensure the low is determine mainly by the 1 1/4 inch pipe you will
      > need at least 15 inches of 1 1/4 inc pipe connected to both sides of the
      > flow meters. See
      > <http://mdmetric.com/tech/thddat7.htm> for information on British BSP
      > G1/2 threads. If you have a short time frame this approach will not
      > work. There is a 2 to 3 week shipping time from China.
      > Another option is to use an orifice and a differential pressure transducer.
      > Yes a smaller diameter of pipe would be an indication of flow. But how
      > would you calibrate this type of flow meter?
      > The other Howard
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic