35856Re: CRT monitor dying?

  • Mariss Freimanis
    Dec 1, 2006
      Jeff,

      Thanks for the reply and I agree. We use the best components possible,
      International Rectifier for MOSFETs and certainly Kemet for
      capacitors. Same for all other parts as well; at top-line vendor's
      parts are 10% more expensive than the also-rans. It makes no sense to
      "save" 10% up front only to pay back 50% in rework or worse.

      The biggest challange has been adapting to ROHS. We have things pretty
      well worked out now but it wreaked havoc in the beginning. No matter
      how you cut it, it is an inferior process compared to SnPb.

      I just hope it satisfies the mud-hut and wattle mentality of the green
      type's vision of Vallhala until the next 'thing'. There will always be
      a next 'thing' with these anachronists until technology is eliminated.

      Mariss

      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "jverive" <jverive@...> wrote:

      > Mariss,
      >
      > Indeed, the inspection procedures I mentioned were for a failure
      analysis lab I used to run (before having to go on disability).

      > As you have found, the high-k dielectrics (used in X7R, Y5V, and Z5U
      caps, for example) are much more brittle than the low-k dielectrics
      used in C0G (also known as NP0, for Negative-Positive zero, which
      refers to the low thermal coefficient). However, ALL ceramic SMD caps
      have the potential for thermal or stress cracks. Of the various app
      notes I've read, I like those put out by KEMET. These cracks are
      going to be even bigger problems with lead-free solders, and
      post-assembly testing is never foolproof, and neither is optical
      inspection (even if it could be automated). We had some success with
      bed-of-nails testing, though these have strict mechanical requirements
      to keep from causing cracks themselves. Cracked power plane decoupling
      caps are notoriously hard to detect because of the low node impedance,
      yet these have the greatest potential to cause nasty damage when they
      eventually short out, due to the vast amount of energy available.

      > I could go on and on about the difficulties in dealing with cracked
      ceramic caps, but I want to keep this posting from getting too long.

      > - Jeff

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic