15485Re: [Electronics_101] Re: Point me into the right direction please.

    Feb 1, 2005
      On Tuesday 01 February 2005 03:32 pm, rtstofer wrote:

      > > > but when I found out what I could do with RTL logic circuits my
      > > > curiosity picked up and away it went.
      > >
      > > OTOH, I can remember a number of fun and interesting projects
      > > that used those parts. Are they still around at all anywhere?
      >
      > I haven't seen RTL or DTL in years and years.

      I suspect that a lot of the hobby-type projects that used these were because
      they were available in the surplus market...

      > I think by the early 70s TTL had taken over the world because it reduced the
      > issues of fan-in, fan-out and rise-times.

      I think it was 1970 I first ran into it.

      > But I still have one of my first books on the topic - "Logic Design With
      > Integrated Circuits" by William E Wickes published by John Wiley and Sons
      > 1968. It is still the first thing I reach for when I want to do
      > minimization - something of a lost art given the size of CPLDs and FPGAs.

      A lot of the simpler tricks that used to be pretty common are a lost art any
      more, they don't teach it in the tech schools and colleges, and the folks
      coming into the field just aren't aware of a lot of this stuff.

      <...>

      [Heathkit...]

      > No, I believe their big market was stereo equipment.

      Really? That's interesting. I was actually in a couple of their stores, way
      back when, looking for employment. One was in NYC and one was in Frazier,
      PA. I honestly don't recall what was in those stores, it was so darn long
      ago, and I can't remember the last time I saw one of their catalogs...

      > The Japanese pretty much own this market and you don't have to put it
      > together.

      Yep, and for TVs and such the Koreans and even China is making some
      nontrivial inroads. There almost isn't much of a domestic electronics
      industry any more, at least not for consumer stuff.

      > I don't know if there is enough of an increase in the number of
      > people interested in electronics to drive a kit based test equipment
      > market or not. There is so much used equipment on eBay.

      Yes. I suspect that used stuff was always out there, but it sure is easier
      to find it these days.
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic