15473Re: Point me into the right direction please.

    Feb 1, 2005
      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Roy J. Tellason"
      <rtellason@b...> wrote:
      > On Tuesday 01 February 2005 02:02 pm, rtstofer wrote:
      > > For components including grab bags, try www.jameco.com. I have
      been
      > > buying from them off and on for 20 years. Digikey is probably my
      > > favorite source - www.digikey.com. They have an enormous
      selection.

      > Indeed they do. I've used both companies, and have no complaints
      about
      > either of them.
      >
      > > I started getting serious about this stuff around 1969. I was
      never
      > > interested in analog (still no real interest)
      >
      > I am!
      >
      > > but when I found out what I could do with RTL logic circuits my
      curiosity
      > > picked up and away it went.
      >
      > OTOH, I can remember a number of fun and interesting projects
      that used those
      > parts. Are they still around at all anywhere?

      I haven't seen RTL or DTL in years and years. I think by the early
      70s TTL had taken over the world because it reduced the issues of
      fan-in, fan-out and rise-times. But I still have one of my first
      books on the topic - "Logic Design With Integrated Circuits" by
      William E Wickes published by John Wiley and Sons 1968. It is still
      the first thing I reach for when I want to do minimization -
      something of a lost art given the size of CPLDs and FPGAs.

      > > I have played with this stuff for more than 50 years including
      my formative
      > > years building Heathkit stuff and I still have the VOM,
      oscilloscope, freq
      > > counter, power supply and probably a few other odds and ends.
      Too bad they
      > > got out of the business.
      >
      > I guess the market just wasn't there any more like it used to be,
      or
      > something.

      No, I believe their big market was stereo equipment. The Japanese
      pretty much own this market and you don't have to put it together.
      I don't know if there is enough of an increase in the number of
      people interested in electronics to drive a kit based test equipment
      market or not. There is so much used equipment on eBay.
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic