15471Re: [Electronics_101] Re: Point me into the right direction please.

    Feb 1, 2005
      On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:33:16 -0500, Roy J. Tellason
      <rtellason@...> wrote:

      > To this I will add that most of these supplies need some minimum load on
      > them
      > to work properly. The best setup I've seen (and I unfortunately can't
      > remember where I saw it) had a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor wired into the
      > unit
      > across the +5V output and mounted on the case in such a way that the
      > airflow
      > from the fan would go right across it, keeping it cool.

      I simply used a 12V 10W (or so) car bulb acros 5V, worked well and need no
      cooling.

      > The other thing that site did was to remove the wires coming out and
      > mount
      > sets of binding posts in the case, using only those for output.

      Yes, 5 or 6 4mm terminals with "screw down wire clamp" mechanism are great
      here, you simply clamp wires which go to the breadboard.

      > I would also add a caution here that anybody who is inexperienced with
      > this
      > stuff be real careful about sticking your hands inside of that box,
      > especially with power applied -- there are parts in there with 300V+ on
      > them!

      agreed. Don't mess around with switchmode supplies for a long, long time,
      they are much more dangerous than normal line voltage, also because they
      have parts that store the high voltage.

      > I don't know if anything earlier than an ATX supply would have 3.3V on an
      > output, though I suppose it's possible. AT-type supplies should be
      > available for next to nothing anyway, since not all that many people are
      > using such stuff any more.

      I have seen 3V3 on few non-atx supplies, but rare.

      > And how about using old PC cases for projects?
      > <...>

      too big, too...

      > One of the advantages of scrapping out a lot of stuff -- you get a fair
      > amount
      > of stuff that's _used in the industry_, rather than a complete inventory
      > with parts in it that'll never get used.

      Well, i only agree partially. I do not believe one can get by with only
      scrapped parts. With the component prices, i do not see the value in a
      resistor with clipped leads which need soldered extensions to work in the
      breadboard. It just can get tedious to hunt for used parts at times,
      especially if you try to copy web-schematics, at the beginning you don't
      know what to substitute with.
      Too often the industry uses solutions you have not much use for.

      I suggest buying the cheap parts, and desoldering the expensive ones. Not
      too tedious and not too expensive.. well.. that's what i did anyway..