15455Re: [Electronics_101] Point me into the right direction please.

    Feb 1, 2005
      On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 00:59:59 -0500, mahan <mahan@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone:
      >
      > I am interested in getting into the field of electronics. I have
      > tried to read many books which all start off by explaining the math and
      > equations and describing what each little component does and how it fits
      > into the equation. I understand the equations, but I do not understand
      > how
      > we go from an equation to a PCB full of components which all work
      > together
      > to perform one or more functions. I have heard the water flow theory over
      > and over again, but the water flow theory doesn't explain what happens
      > when
      > the main pipe branches out to 100 different lines which each perform
      > their
      > own function. I have some schematic simulator programs which I have
      > messed
      > around with, but what good does that do me when I do not understand the
      > basis of how everything is working together?

      Well, you know, in your city you have a huge waterflow system. Similar to
      a PCB.

      The waterflow is ok, but not 100% applicable.

      To make a PCB you basically just piece together many, many of those small
      circuits you know.

      > Currently I am reading a book titled "How electricity works". I am
      > on chapter 2 which is explaining different laws and relations but I feel
      > like I'm starting to drift away from what they are trying to explain. I
      > understand the math; I was in calculus and advanced chemistry at my last
      > college I attended. But I don't understand how the math falls into a
      > circuit. For example I want to design a circuit with 2 LED's that blink.

      > know I need a power source and 2 LED's but I am lost after that. I am
      > going
      > to start an Electronics Technologist program in a year; it is for a 3
      > year
      > diploma and then 2 more years at a university to get my BS. I am doing
      > this
      > so I can get some real hands on training and experience, rather than
      > studying theory as an EE. Please help me and shed some light on to my
      > problem. Any and all advice would be much appreciated and I thank
      > everyone
      > who has read this long email.
      >
      > A lost person
      > Mahan M ... :)

      Hands on experience is a good idea.
      Now, we do not invent every circuit ourselves (Although i have "invented"
      the bridge rectifier when i was very, very little without knowing someone
      did it before me ;-)). Mostly we just take well known circuits and modify
      them.

      For your two leds, there are many possibilities. For example, we can use
      two "switches" (transistors for example) to switch them on/off
      alternately. Also, we could generate a AC voltage with the right
      frequency, and drive one with the positive amplitude and one with the
      negative.

      But in real life most of us would simple enter "astable multivibrator" in
      google ;-).
      Probably we know different possbilities, and want to use certain parts, so
      we enter "astable multivibrator with npn" or "astable multivibrator with
      555".
      You can also enter "Led blinker" if you have no idea what you need.

      You need experience to design your own circuits, which you gain by
      understanding circuits someone else designed. You also need to learn what
      each component does. (And i mean what it does in circuit not what happens
      internally).
      Also, you can't expect to be able to put together a oscilloscope as first
      project, you will have to start with small things.