Amish with a Twist quilt

  • Ann in TN
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
      I had seen a kit for sale for the above pattern by Nancy Rink, which was well beyond my financial reach so I decided to try and recreate it in EQ7. Without knowing the dimensions of the blocks or borders I think I got pretty close. Don't know if I will ever get around to actually making it with all the other projects I have ahead of it but it will be there when I get around to it and I managed to learn a lot about the program by creating it this way. Never used the "merge blocks" feature before and can see lots of possibilities for that one. Had a problem trying to create a piano keys border, there may be a trick to that one that I haven't figured out yet. I posted a picture of the end result in the ncredbird folder in the Photos section. Ann
    • kluedesigns
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
        you did an awesome job!

        Klue

        I had seen a kit for sale for the above pattern by Nancy Rink, which was well beyond my financial reach so I decided to try and recreate it in EQ7. Without knowing the dimensions of the blocks or borders I think I got pretty close. Don't know if I will ever get around to actually making it with all the other projects I have ahead of it but it will be there when I get around to it and I managed to learn a lot about the program by creating it this way. Never used the "merge blocks" feature before and can see lots of possibilities for that one. Had a problem trying to create a piano keys border, there may be a trick to that one that I haven't figured out yet. I posted a picture of the end result in the ncredbird folder in the Photos section. Ann

      • robin
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
          Awesome job!!!

          RobinDiva
          Divinely
          Intensely
          Virtuously
          Accepted...by God!!

          .

        • Mary Jean
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
            Ann, you did a terrific job re-creating the quilt. Like it very much and you have inspired me to try to re-create a quilt.
            MJ in Plymouth, MI

            --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Ann in TN" <ncredbird@...> wrote:

            > I had seen a kit for sale for the above pattern by Nancy Rink, which was well beyond my financial reach so I decided to try and recreate it in EQ7. Without knowing the dimensions of the blocks or borders I think I got pretty close. Don't know if I will ever get around to actually making it with all the other projects I have ahead of it but it will be there when I get around to it and I managed to learn a lot about the program by creating it this way. Never used the "merge blocks" feature before and can see lots of possibilities for that one. Had a problem trying to create a piano keys border, there may be a trick to that one that I haven't figured out yet. I posted a picture of the end result in the ncredbird folder in the Photos section. Ann

          • nancythequilt
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
              Hmmm. Don't know how to feel about this. I do put a lot of work into my designs and it is how I make my living. This is also a copyrighted pattern. They do say, however, that imitation is the best form of flattery
            • Johanna Fritz
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
                Inspiration from a quilt is great - for example using the merge block command to make your own unique designs, or incorporating the idea of the flowers appliqued in the opposite corners...that is my kind of immitation/flattery.

                Copying the pattern exactly might be another matter. Some might ask, why do it if you are not planning on giving the pattern to someone, or use it yourself. I kind of have an issue with this IMHO. We are not talking about a 9 patch and a flying geese here. This is someone else's intellectual property.
                just my 10 cents

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
                  I sent Nancy Rink an email this morning offering to remove the picture of the quilt that I drew in EQ7. It was not my intent to recreate the quilt so much as to have it as a reference for a possible future quilt incorporating some of the aspects with different centers for the blocks and I would probably do applique vine flowers down the wide outside borders. I wanted a visual reference in my projects files. Mostly I wanted to see if I could exercise some newly learned skills after working through lessons on getting familiar with the EQ7 program that were offered on another Yahoo group. I haven't received a reply from her but in respect to her and her work I am removing it from my photo file. My apologies if I stepped on anyone's toes. Ann
                • Wagners Place
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
                    For some reason I'm not pulling up the quilt photo. All I'm getting in the ncredbird folder are two 'rose star' photos. Any idea what I'm doing incorrectly? Really want to see it! Kathy

                    Kathy Wagner
                    email: wagnersplace@...

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
                      it was taken down due to copyright issues - nancy rink put up a post to the group - you can find all the messages in this topic on the main page of the group.

                      Klue

                      Ann, you did a terrific job re-creating the quilt. Like it very much and you have inspired me to try to re-create a quilt.
                      MJ in Plymouth, MI

                      --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Ann in TN" <ncredbird@...> wrote:

                      > I had seen a kit for sale for the above pattern by Nancy Rink, which was well beyond my financial reach so I decided to try and recreate it in EQ7. Without knowing the dimensions of the blocks or borders I think I got pretty close. Don't know if I will ever get around to actually making it with all the other projects I have ahead of it but it will be there when I get around to it and I managed to learn a lot about the program by creating it this way. Never used the "merge blocks" feature before and can see lots of possibilities for that one. Had a problem trying to create a piano keys border, there may be a trick to that one that I haven't figured out yet. I posted a picture of the end result in the ncredbird folder in the Photos section. Ann

                    • joannafinkelstein
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 11, 2013
                        My husband fell in love with the Amish with a Twist quilt and I did purchase the 5 month quilt, but also put it in EQ just so I could play with different arrangements. I still love "traditional" quilts, but I am trying some Modern designs thanks to your wonderful popping colors!

                        I will say for beginning quilters it is a wonderful way to learn more. Your instructions were clear and you covered a lot of different blocks for us to try. Keep up the good work!
                        Joanna in GA

                        --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "nancythequilt" <nancy@...> wrote:

                        > Hmmm. Don't know how to feel about this. I do put a lot of work into my designs and it is how I make my living. This is also a copyrighted pattern. They do say, however, that imitation is the best form of flattery

                      • Marlee
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
                          I also take almost any quilt pattern I purchase and draw it out in EQ I then have the ability to change the colors and see the finished quilt the way that suits me. If I purchased the pattern the designer has been paid and I learn more about EQ. When I have taught EQ to others I have had them do the same, it helps beginners how to determine if the block is a 9 patch, 4 patch etc. and you learn quite quickly how to draw in EQ.