Re: Order Placed

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
      Phyllis,
      Congratulations on your new purchases! I've completed the first embroidery lesson (applique) and have created my first design, and although I haven't stitched it out, it certainly looks good on the stitch simulator! And was so easy! I'm excited and want to plunge ahead, but will work through all the block lessons first to become familiar with the tools. As I'm doing the lessons, I'll be learning EQ7 at the same time, too. All very exciting!
      Linda

    • ycjmshawca
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013
        Just remember that digitizing a design is just the first step in creating your stitched design. Your fabric selection, stabilizer, hooping technique, and thread choices will all effect how the final stitch out of the design will look. So many times I have heard my students say a design is awful when it is actually an error at the machine and not a problem with the design itself.

        Yvonne Menear
        EQ7/EQStitch educator
        Author EQStitch companion book
        www.yvonnemenear.com

        --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Linda" <lincbick@...> wrote:

        > Phyllis,
        > Congratulations on your new purchases! I've completed the first embroidery lesson (applique) and have created my first design, and although I haven't stitched it out, it certainly looks good on the stitch simulator! And was so easy! I'm excited and want to plunge ahead, but will work through all the block lessons first to become familiar with the tools. As I'm doing the lessons, I'll be learning EQ7 at the same time, too. All very exciting!
        > Linda

      • Linda
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013
          Thanks, Yvonne, for the help and excellent advice. What do you suggest for a stabilizer when stitching an applique using quilting weight cottons? I've always used a light, fusible mesh on the back of anything that would be used in a quilt or laundered a lot, applique included. But nothing more than that with applique. I wondered if it would be different on these designs. Maybe it'll be all trial and error. I tried digitizing some red work last night and was excited to find that I could change the color of each part of the design (example: the basket of flowers). I was able to give it a lovely vintage look using a variety of soft pastel colors! Didn't know I could do that with the preloaded designs! I have one more lesson to complete, but will re-do them all again using different designs as practice exercises. I am learning to use EQ7 at the same time...all very exciting!
          Linda

        • ycjmshawca
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013
            Stabilizer choice varies from project to project based on so many different variables. The design itself, the density of the design, if it is an applique that has fusible web on the applique fabric or not, the background fabric, the stitches applied to the design, the project it is used in (quilt, clothing,home dec, etc.) and so many other variables. Having said that, I use a medium weight tear away stabilizer most of the time and I spray it with 505 spray adhesive to adhere it to the background fabric before hooping. I have done quilt blocks with iron on mesh and lightweight muslin for stability. I have also used cut away, fusible interfacing, iron on batting, and bridal tulle and medium weight mesh. So, basically, it is up to the designer to determine the type of stabilizer that would best suit the project they are making and deciding if it needs to stand up to machine washing and drying after completed.

            http://www.yvonnemenear.com/
            http://members.shaw.ca/lmeg/

            --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Linda" <lincbick@...> wrote:

            > Thanks, Yvonne, for the help and excellent advice. What do you suggest for a stabilizer when stitching an applique using quilting weight cottons? I've always used a light, fusible mesh on the back of anything that would be used in a quilt or laundered a lot, applique included. But nothing more than that with applique. I wondered if it would be different on these designs. Maybe it'll be all trial and error. I tried digitizing some red work last night and was excited to find that I could change the color of each part of the design (example: the basket of flowers). I was able to give it a lovely vintage look using a variety of soft pastel colors! Didn't know I could do that with the preloaded designs! I have one more lesson to complete, but will re-do them all again using different designs as practice exercises. I am learning to use EQ7 at the same time...all very exciting!
            > Linda

          • emmy9889
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
              Thanks so much for all your help, Yvonne! I appreciate your experience.I had never heard of using bridal tulle but can see how that would work well in the right set of circumstances. Thanks for sharing!
              Linda

              --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, ycjm@... wrote:

              > Stabilizer choice varies from project to project based on so many different variables. The design itself, the density of the design, if it is an applique that has fusible web on the applique fabric or not, the background fabric, the stitches applied to the design, the project it is used in (quilt, clothing,home dec, etc.) and so many other variables. Having said that, I use a medium weight tear away stabilizer most of the time and I spray it with 505 spray adhesive to adhere it to the background fabric before hooping. I have done quilt blocks with iron on mesh and lightweight muslin for stability. I have also used cut away, fusible interfacing, iron on batting, and bridal tulle and medium weight mesh. So, basically, it is up to the designer to determine the type of stabilizer that would best suit the project they are making and deciding if it needs to stand up to machine washing and drying after completed.
              >
              > Yvonne Menear
              > EQ7/EQStitch educator
              > Author EQStitch companion book
              > http://www.yvonnemenear.com/
              > http://members.shaw.ca/lmeg/
              >
              > --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Linda" <lincbick@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks, Yvonne, for the help and excellent advice. What do you suggest for a stabilizer when stitching an applique using quilting weight cottons? > > Linda

            • plainjane_47
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 10, 2013
                Hello Phyllis... I too just ordered EQ7 and EQ Stitch.... don't have any experience with any program like EQ... I will be searching this forum for any info I can.... I think this will be fun!!! Gina

                --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Phyllis" <xganza06@...> wrote:

                > I just placed my order for EQ7 & EQStitch. Can't wait to recieve them and start playing. This will be my first experience with EQ software. Hopefully with all the videos and lessons available it won't take me too long to become familiar with the programs. Looking forward to learning from this group.
                > Phyllis in MD

              • ycjmshawca
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 22, 2013