Anybody know what block this might be?

  • notsewmuch
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 22 10:25 AM
      Hi All,

      I would like to design this quilt in EQ. I looked for snowball block but didn't find one that would work out like this pattern. Tried adding sashing but that didn't work either. Does anyone have an idea where to start to design this quilt?

      http://www.sewfabulousquiltshop.com/shop/product/personality-plus-quilt-pattern/

      Thanks for your help!

      Yvonne
    • Sandie Griego
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 22 10:58 AM
        Think half square triangles

        Sandie

        Sent from my iPad

        On Sep 22, 2012, at 12:25 PM, "notsewmuch" <acker5330@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I would like to design this quilt in EQ. I looked for snowball block but didn't find one that would work out like this pattern. Tried adding sashing but that didn't work either. Does anyone have an idea where to start to design this quilt?
        >
        > http://www.sewfabulousquiltshop.com/shop/product/personality-plus-quilt-pattern/
        >
        > Thanks for your help!
        >
        > Yvonne

      • jbvalleysprings
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 22 11:45 AM
          Yvonne,
          Don't know if this will help but the pattern calls for 1 layer cake (40 10" squares), fabric for connector squares, setting triangles and corner triangles. Will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with an idea.
          JanB

          --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "notsewmuch" <acker5330@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I would like to design this quilt in EQ. I looked for snowball block but didn't find one that would work out like this pattern. Tried adding sashing but that didn't work either. Does anyone have an idea where to start to design this quilt?
          >

          > http://www.sewfabulousquiltshop.com/shop/product/personality-plus-quilt-pattern/
          >
          > Thanks for your help!
          >
          > Yvonne

        • Elizabeth Barnett
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 22 12:14 PM
            based on an 8x8 grid, I came up with the attached (block and quilt)
            luv, Liz / Calgary

            On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM, jbvalleysprings <jbvalleysprings@...
            > wrote:

            > Yvonne,
            > Don't know if this will help but the pattern calls for 1 layer cake (40
            > 10" squares), fabric for connector squares, setting triangles and corner
            > triangles. Will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with an idea.
            > JanB
            >
            > --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "notsewmuch" <acker5330@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > I would like to design this quilt in EQ. I looked for snowball block but
            > didn't find one that would work out like this pattern. Tried adding sashing
            > but that didn't work either. Does anyone have an idea where to start to
            > design this quilt?
            > >

            > http://www.sewfabulousquiltshop.com/shop/product/personality-plus-quilt-pattern/
            > >
            > > Thanks for your help!
            > >
            > > Yvonne

          • s squared
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 22 3:59 PM
              Did you put the "attachment" in the files, as I don't see it here?
              Sheron

              --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Barnett <Liz92B@...> wrote:

              > based on an 8x8 grid, I came up with the attached (block and quilt)
              > luv, Liz / Calgary
              >
              > On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM, jbvalleysprings <jbvalleysprings@...
              > > wrote:
              >
              > > Yvonne,
              > > Don't know if this will help but the pattern calls for 1 layer cake (40
              > > 10" squares), fabric for connector squares, setting triangles and corner
              > > triangles. Will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with an idea.
              > > JanB
              > >
              > > --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "notsewmuch" <acker5330@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi All,
              > > >
              > > > I would like to design this quilt in EQ. I looked for snowball block but
              > > didn't find one that would work out like this pattern. Tried adding sashing
              > > but that didn't work either. Does anyone have an idea where to start to
              > > design this quilt?
              > > >

              > > http://www.sewfabulousquiltshop.com/shop/product/personality-plus-quilt-pattern/
              > > >
              > > > Thanks for your help!
              > > >
              > > > Yvonne

            • Elizabeth Barnett
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 22 6:34 PM
                ah, I keep forgetting that most Yahooey groups remove attachments.
                I've uploaded a couple of files to the photos: block
                diagram<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Electric_Quilt/photos/album/1439406127/pic/1453531982/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc>and
                sample
                quilt<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Electric_Quilt/photos/album/1439406127/pic/309253314/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc>
                luv Liz / Calgary

                On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 4:59 PM, s squared <snyders@...> wrote:

                > Did you put the "attachment" in the files, as I don't see it here?
                > Sheron
                >
                > --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Barnett <Liz92B@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > based on an 8x8 grid, I came up with the attached (block and quilt)
                > > luv, Liz / Calgary
                > >
                > > On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM, jbvalleysprings <jbvalleysprings@...
                > > > wrote:
                > >
                > > > Yvonne,
                > > > Don't know if this will help but the pattern calls for 1 layer cake (40
                > > > 10" squares), fabric for connector squares, setting triangles and
                > corner
                > > > triangles. Will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with an idea.
                > > > JanB
                > > >
                > > > --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "notsewmuch" <acker5330@>

                > but
                > > > didn't find one that would work out like this pattern. Tried adding
                > sashing
                > > > but that didn't work either. Does anyone have an idea where to start to
                > > > design this quilt?
                > > > >

                > http://www.sewfabulousquiltshop.com/shop/product/personality-plus-quilt-pattern/

              • Sheron
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 22 7:04 PM
                  Thanks a tonne!

                  Sheron

                  <mailto:Electric_Quilt%40yahoogroups.com> , Elizabeth Barnett <Liz92B@...>

                  <mailto:jbvalleysprings@...%0b>

                  <mailto:Electric_Quilt%40yahoogroups.com> , "notsewmuch" <acker5330@>

                  > but
                  > > > didn't find one that would work out like this pattern. Tried adding
                  > sashing
                  > > > but that didn't work either. Does anyone have an idea where to start
                  > > > design this quilt?

                  http://www.sewfabulousquiltshop.com/shop/product/personality-plus-quilt-patt
                  ern/

                • notsewmuch
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 22 7:19 PM
                    Hi All,

                    I figured the quilt out a different way. My idea is to use a traditional snowball block in an on-point layout. See my photo in the "Snowball Album".

                    I liked Liz's block also. It just depends on where you want your seams.
                    Love the challenge!

                    Yvonne

                    --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Sheron" <snyders@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks a tonne!
                    >
                    > Sheron

                  • Elizabeth Barnett
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 23 7:45 AM
                      well {duh!} - that makes a whole lot more sense!! luv, Liz

                      On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM, notsewmuch <acker5330@...> wrote:

                      > Hi All,
                      >
                      > I figured the quilt out a different way. My idea is to use a traditional
                      > snowball block in an on-point layout. See my photo in the "Snowball Album".
                      >
                      > I liked Liz's block also. It just depends on where you want your seams.
                      > Love the challenge!
                      >
                      > Yvonne

                    • Eileen Hoheisel
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 23 11:01 AM
                        I've added another way of doing it, using sashing. The photo is here:

                        http://tinyurl.com/c8mprdq

                        Eileen

                        .

                        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=13004910/grpspId=1705063637/msgI
                        d=6281/stime=1348411549/nc1=5028927/nc2=4025304/nc3=5898816>

                      • Maggie Tinnin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 23 11:17 AM
                          It is a Snowball block, but in this case the blocks overlap. The bottom
                          right corner of the first block on the first row is part of the snowball on
                          the second row, first block.

                        • notsewmuch
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 23 4:23 PM
                            Liz,

                            You are funny!

                            I may have to make this quilt. I have a layer cake collecting dust!

                            Yvonne

                            --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Barnett <Liz92B@...> wrote:

                            > well {duh!} - that makes a whole lot more sense!! luv, Liz
                            >
                            > On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM, notsewmuch <acker5330@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hi All,
                            > >
                            > > I figured the quilt out a different way. My idea is to use a traditional
                            > > snowball block in an on-point layout. See my photo in the "Snowball Album".
                            > >
                            > > I liked Liz's block also. It just depends on where you want your seams.
                            > > Love the challenge!
                            > >
                            > > Yvonne

                          • Johanna Fritz
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 23 4:38 PM
                              Don't know the name, but the center of the block is the dark square. It is in the center surrounded on all 4 sides by y seam' pieces...or done as a log cabin. The edge of each block is the center of the "octagon" type shapes, so when the block edges touch their centers meet and the round shapes are formed.
                              Johanna in WI

                              --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "notsewmuch" <acker5330@...> wrote:

                              > Hi All,
                              >
                              > I would like to design this quilt in EQ. I looked for snowball block but didn't find one that would work out like this pattern. Tried adding sashing but that didn't work either. Does anyone have an idea where to start to design this quilt?
                              >

                              > http://www.sewfabulousquiltshop.com/shop/product/personality-plus-quilt-pattern/
                              >
                              > Thanks for your help!
                              >
                              > Yvonne

                            • Johanna Fritz
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 3, 2012
                                I am not sure if you saw my earlier post on this, but it is designed on point. Tip you head to the left and you will see the rows. The brown squares are the center of the blocks. Find my older message in the search bar on the post message page. Good luck. If you cannot find the old message, I can describe it again.
                                Johanna

                              • acker5330@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                                  Hi Sandie,

                                  I did find a solution to the block. See the quilt I designed in the
                                  snowball block album. Thanks for helping find a solution.

                                  Yvonne

                                • Eileen Hoheisel

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
                                      Eileen,

                                      Especially check out the one that is labeled for layer cakes.

                                      Yvonne

                                      --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Eileen Hoheisel" <ehoheisel@...> wrote:

                                      > Could you send a link to the picture, because I don't see it in that album.
                                      >

                                      > Eileen
                                      >

                                      > Hi Sandie,
                                      >
                                      > I did find a solution to the block. See the quilt I designed in the
                                      > snowball block album. Thanks for helping find a solution.
                                      >
                                      > Yvonne

                                    • Eileen Hoheisel
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 6, 2012
                                        Thanks, I thought there was a newer picture I couldn't find.

                                        Eileen

                                        Eileen,

                                        Here is the link
                                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Electric_Quilt/photos/album/1074819320/pic/lis

                                        Especially check out the one that is labeled for layer cakes.

                                        Yvonne

                                        --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com
                                        <mailto:Electric_Quilt%40yahoogroups.com> , "Eileen Hoheisel"