Printing Black and white photos

  • Harriet
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2012
      My customer has brought me copies of color photos taken to Wal-Mart and recopied into black and white. When I either scan these and print in black or copy and print in black onto the EQ fabric transfer paper, the photos have a blue tint to them. I have tried every setting available and not one of the sheets comes out black and white. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This has already cost me a small fortune in ink and EQ sheets, plus I bought the fabric to make the quilt.

      Harriet
      Handi Quilter Educator
      http://www.handiquilter.com/glog/harriet/
    • Jeanette Ferin
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2012
        I will be interested to hear if anyone has a solution to this problem because I had the same thing happen to me. One tip I can give you is when testing for the correct color, use regular printer paper, not the fabric sheets. Much cheaper. Even though you are using ink, it is the fabric sheets that add to the cost of the test.

        Do you use name brand ink? I did not, but then, I was using the refilled ink cartridges that I always had been using with no problem. Once it started printing with a blue tint, I could never get the black and white image to print out correctly. My solution was to use another printer. Luckily my husband had one that he no longer needed and I have been using it with no problem. It is an Epson 4800.( I do use Epson ink for this one)  Much larger than most people would need, but he used it for his printing company. It can print wide paper.

        Good luck!

        Jeanette Ferin

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2012
          I take all images into Paint program and then save as a monotone bmp. It should then print in black ink only. (do not use greytone settings...I think it includes the blue tint).
          Trudi in Va.

          My customer has brought me copies of color photos taken to Wal-Mart and recopied into black and white. When I either scan these and print in black or copy and print in black onto the EQ fabric transfer paper, the photos have a blue tint to them. I have tried every setting available and not one of the sheets comes out black and white. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This has already cost me a small fortune in ink and EQ sheets, plus I bought the fabric to make the quilt.

          Harriet

          Handi Quilter Educator

          http://www.handiquilter.com/glog/harriet/

        • Gwen & Dave Lundgren
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2012
            I think most printers use a mix of color to print black. See if there is a setting in your printer software to use black ink only.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2012
              Question rather than a solution…..have you selected black and white only or grayscale on the printer choices? My printer has these, maybe yours does too. Can you print without a color cartridge?

              Maybe with more info on the printer you are using would help us help you.

              Sheron in the middle of a dry Mitten

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2012
                Did you print them in grey scale instead of
                color? Did you print just using the black
                cartridge? Even if they are black and white, if
                you print in color it can pick up weird colors.
                Debi in IL