Are we allowed to sell an EQ7 upgrade

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 4, 2011
      I have eq 6 and an upgrade to eq 7, I do not use it much and want to just go back to eq5 so I do not need put my computer on line just to use the software. I am having too much problems with being on line with my desktop tht has my embroidery,and quilting software on it.
    • Bobbie Bartlett
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 4, 2011
        Hi Chris .. I don't think there would be a legal problem with it .. But you
        would have to advise the buyer of how many activation's were left on the
        programmes .. But you could always check with EQ and make certain ... But I
        think it would be like most things .. If you own it .. You can sell it ...
        But disclosure would be a must ...

        Good luck ...

        ~~~ Bobbie ~~~
        Hold your precious ones close and tell them you love them...

        http://itsallaboutme-bobbie.blogspot.com/

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 4, 2011
          Chris,

          You don't need to be online to use EQ7. You need to be online to activate
          it when you install it, and periodically you have to be online to validate
          it. I recently was using it on a computer that wasn't connected to the
          internet. Every time I opened the program it told me I had x number of days
          left to validate it, and the first time was 39 days. After a few times I
          did connect that computer to the internet, opened EQ7, and that's all there
          was to it. Which reminds me I need to connect back up to deactivate that
          computer, I only use it as a last-resort-computer, when this one is being
          repaired.

          I just can't imagine going back to EQ5 after 6 and 7, there have been so
          many improvements.

          If you do get rid of EQ7, be sure to deactivate it on your computer first,
          you will need to be connected to the internet to do that. And as Bobbie
          said, you'll have to inform the buyer as to how many activations are left on
          EQ6, it only comes with four, so at most there only three left with it.

          Eileen

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4, 2011
            going on line one time to activate one time is fine having to put it online every so often is BS.

            --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Eileen Hoheisel" <quilter52@...> wrote:

            > Chris,
            >

            > You don't need to be online to use EQ7. You need to be online to activate
            > it when you install it, and periodically you have to be online to validate
            > it. I recently was using it on a computer that wasn't connected to the
            > internet. Every time I opened the program it told me I had x number of days
            > left to validate it, and the first time was 39 days. After a few times I
            > did connect that computer to the internet, opened EQ7, and that's all there
            > was to it. Which reminds me I need to connect back up to deactivate that
            > computer, I only use it as a last-resort-computer, when this one is being
            > repaired.
            >

            > I just can't imagine going back to EQ5 after 6 and 7, there have been so
            > many improvements.
            >

            > If you do get rid of EQ7, be sure to deactivate it on your computer first,
            > you will need to be connected to the internet to do that. And as Bobbie
            > said, you'll have to inform the buyer as to how many activations are left on
            > EQ6, it only comes with four, so at most there only three left with it.
            >

            > Eileen
            >

            > I have eq 6 and an upgrade to eq 7, I do not use it much and want to just go
            > back to eq5 so I do not need put my computer on line just to use the
            > software. I am having too much problems with being on line with my desktop
            > tht has my embroidery,and quilting software on it.

          • Luann
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 5, 2011
              Having to go online about 4 times a year is a small price to pay to have no activations to worry about! I for one love my EQ7. I feel that EQ and all companies that sell software for the computers have an expectation of one user per purchased program. Microsoft, Adobe, etc all have simular requirements. Is it a pain to connect to the internet sometimes it is. We do forget that not everyone is like me. I have to have the newest gadgets for quilting the newest electronics and the fastest internet service I can find. I still would keep the EQ7 program rather than go back to the EQ5 program as wonderful as it was when I used it years ago. I am spoiled to the new things I can do in EQ7. It is such a full and comprehensive program. I had not fully found out all that EQ6 could do when 7 came out. I am so happy I bought it. I am teaching EQ6 and 7 in New York this summer. I love EQ and suppport their decision to validate instead of activate. That is my story and
              I am sticking to it!
              Have a Great Day!
              Luann in CT

              Live, Laugh, and Love Enough!!!
              http://quiltingunderthecovers.com/
              http://crafterrn1.wordpress.com/

            • Carolyn Milne
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 5, 2011
                I'm sure they have their reasons but the one issue that got to me was you
                could only install (think it was version 6?) so many times and then you had
                to call company and get a new install code "if you qualified". I had my
                laptop and tower both go down so many times that year , plus ended up having
                to get new laptop and then when that one crashed on me they sent another one
                so it was a nightmare. Needless to say, I had to call to get a new install
                code after all my issues were corrected. To me if you have the software,
                you should be able to install it as many times as you want without
                restrictions. I'm not sure if they fixed that in version 7 as haven't
                installed it yet. Been too busy.

                Carolyn Milne

                <http://www.computercraftdesigns.com/> http://www.computercraftdesigns.com

                Embroidery Designs-Quilts-Patterns

              • Sue
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 5, 2011
                  unfortunately, not everyone is honest and if a software company permitted
                  unlimited installations without periodically confirming the number of
                  current activations, there are people who would buy 1 copy and 'share' it
                  among their friends. Yes, even quilters can be that dishonest.

                  sue in roseville

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 5, 2011
                    At 6/5/2011, you wrote:
                    >without periodically confirming the number of
                    >current activations, there are people who would buy 1 copy and 'share' it
                    >among their friends. Yes, even quilters can be that dishonest.

                    Hi Sue,

                    Yes, unfortunately this is why we got the 4 installations with EQ6
                    and the new activation/validation in EQ7.

                    Not to forget the higher price.

                    Sharing is a good thing but when it ends up increasing prices it is not. :-)

                    Just a heads up, a lot of software companies are working to the
                    leasing of their software. How it works is you purchase
                    a month by month or a yearly lease to access the software via the
                    Internet only. No more DVDs or Boxes, no more
                    shipping fees.

                    Adobe and Microsoft now have this option. I heard about this about 5
                    years ago and I now have a number of Techie
                    Programs on leasing programs right now. I do not have to worry about
                    a lot of money when a new version comes out.
                    It just appears on my Table or Desktop when I log on.

                    Look for this in the very near future from a lot more software
                    companies. It is quick, inexpensive and
                    the software companies have much more control. Think about it, no
                    DVDs to remember where you placed them, no
                    books or boxes to store, no License numbers to remember, no
                    activations to keep up with. I will not go into the
                    benefits to software companies, like more access control, no sharing,
                    no printing fees, no storage fees, updates at
                    the click of a button, etc, etc.

                    You already see the begins of this with software program only
                    available for download, no box copies and some even offer
                    a small fee for 12 months of access to download the software if you
                    do not opt to purchase the DVD.

                    Yes, you will get use to it. Remember, you got use to the fact that a
                    lot of software companies do not offer printed
                    User Manuals anymore and you now get a PDF File.

                    With the growth of the Table leasing software will be the next "good"
                    things. Just log on, access, use and forget it.
                    But do not forget the Credit Card. ;-)

                    I have no doubt Quilting Software Programs will be joining the switch
                    in the next 2 or three years.

                    Welcome to the 21 Century my fellow Quilters!! :-)

                    PS: This is from an article I wrote a year ago.

                    *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
                    Sheila Williams
                    Temecula, CA
                    Computer and Quilting Software Consultant
                    donegan@...
                    http://www.SheilaWilliams.com
                  • Barbara Becker
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 5, 2011
                      >> Having to go online about 4 times a year is a small price to pay to have
                      no activations to worry about <<

                      Well, you sort of nailed it later in your message, but for me, the
                      validation IS problem. Not on my main machine, which is always on the
                      internet, but on the laptop I only occasionally use to travel. It's normally
                      just hooked up to a printer in my basement. I brought it upstairs to install
                      EQ7, but didn't know about the validation. When I took it with me once, to
                      use on the road, I got messages that I had to validate it. I don't have
                      Wi-Fi in the house, and I never use this laptop for anything that requires
                      the internet, so having to hook it up just to validate EQ is a pain. I'd
                      much rather activate it once and be done. (Incidentally, I did have to call
                      the company once about getting more activations in an earlier release and it
                      was quick and easy. No problem at all.)

                      BarbaraB
                      http://www.fourpawsquilting.com
                    • Eileen Hoheisel
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 5, 2011
                        There were a lot of people unhappy with the limited activations of EQ6, and
                        EQ listened to us. They talked about using a dongle (which I don't fully
                        understand, but didn't like what I'd heard about it), or using the system
                        they finally chose for EQ7.

                        You can have EQ7 INSTALLED on a gazillion computers if you want to, but only
                        two can be ACTIVATED at the same time.

                        I, too, have had major problems with my computers. I went through all four
                        of my EQ6 activations, plus another, they gave me that one free, but
                        thereafter it would be $37. I got EQ7 for the price of two more EQ6
                        activations, not a bad deal. I put up with a badly functioning computer
                        until EQ7 came out, because I didn't want to pay for another activation.
                        I'll put up with the validation thing any day over the limited activations.
                        And EQ7 is so far ahead of EQ5 that there is no way I'd ever go back to EQ5.

                        With the EQ7 installation/activation/validation process, you CAN install it
                        as many times as you want, with two restrictions-it can be only activated on
                        two at a time, and needs to be validated occasionally.

                        I think that's a win-win situation-it protects the company, while still
                        giving the user some leeway. And to top it off-how many software companies
                        can you call, have a real person answer the phone, and give you the help you
                        need-all for free?? How does that compare to Microsoft, or Intuit, or any
                        other company?

                        Eileen

                        I'm sure they have their reasons but the one issue that got to me was you
                        could only install (think it was version 6?) so many times and then you had
                        to call company and get a new install code "if you qualified". I had my
                        laptop and tower both go down so many times that year , plus ended up having
                        to get new laptop and then when that one crashed on me they sent another one
                        so it was a nightmare. Needless to say, I had to call to get a new install
                        code after all my issues were corrected. To me if you have the software,
                        you should be able to install it as many times as you want without
                        restrictions. I'm not sure if they fixed that in version 7 as haven't
                        installed it yet. Been too busy.

                        Carolyn Milne

                      • Steve and Gale
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 5, 2011
                          Another thing-be sure you know which date you activated on which
                          computer. I had to reinstall windows on my desktop. At the time I had
                          installed and activated EQ7 on my desktop and my netbook. Since my
                          computer hard drive crashed, I had to call to have it deactivated but
                          there was no way, other than the date, to know which activation was on
                          which computer. Luckily we (the rep and I) guessed correctly and I was
                          able to reinstall and reactivate it on my desktop without losing it on
                          my netbook.

                          I went straight from EQ5 to 7. I didn't buy 6 solely because of the
                          activation issue.

                          ~Gale~

                          ---------------------------
                          http://www.stamps-and-stitches.com
                          http://www.chocolate-cheese.com

                          Eileen Hoheisel wrote:

                          > There were a lot of people unhappy with the limited activations of
                          > EQ6, and
                          > EQ listened to us. They talked about using a dongle (which I don't fully
                          > understand, but didn't like what I'd heard about it), or using the system
                          > they finally chose for EQ7.
                          >
                          > You can have EQ7 INSTALLED on a gazillion computers if you want to,
                          > but only
                          > two can be ACTIVATED at the same time.
                          >
                          > I, too, have had major problems with my computers. I went through all four
                          > of my EQ6 activations, plus another, they gave me that one free, but
                          > thereafter it would be $37. I got EQ7 for the price of two more EQ6
                          > activations, not a bad deal. I put up with a badly functioning computer
                          > until EQ7 came out, because I didn't want to pay for another activation.
                          > I'll put up with the validation thing any day over the limited
                          > activations.
                          > And EQ7 is so far ahead of EQ5 that there is no way I'd ever go back
                          > to EQ5.
                          >
                          > With the EQ7 installation/activation/validation process, you CAN
                          > install it
                          > as many times as you want, with two restrictions-it can be only
                          > activated on
                          > two at a time, and needs to be validated occasionally.
                          >
                          > I think that's a win-win situation-it protects the company, while still
                          > giving the user some leeway. And to top it off-how many software companies
                          > can you call, have a real person answer the phone, and give you the
                          > help you
                          > need-all for free?? How does that compare to Microsoft, or Intuit, or any
                          > other company?
                          >
                          > Eileen
                          >
                          > I'm sure they have their reasons but the one issue that got to me was you
                          > could only install (think it was version 6?) so many times and then
                          > you had
                          > to call company and get a new install code "if you qualified". I had my
                          > laptop and tower both go down so many times that year , plus ended up
                          > having
                          > to get new laptop and then when that one crashed on me they sent
                          > another one
                          > so it was a nightmare. Needless to say, I had to call to get a new install
                          > code after all my issues were corrected. To me if you have the software,
                          > you should be able to install it as many times as you want without
                          > restrictions. I'm not sure if they fixed that in version 7 as haven't
                          > installed it yet. Been too busy.
                          >
                          > Carolyn Milne

                        • kimberley Dierdorf
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 5, 2011
                            Unfortunately not all of us have easy/high enough speed/unlimited band wave and or g of internet for these types of programs. I live in an area where cable TV is not available and my phone line would only provide 17 kbs ( yes you did read that correctly) once our kids got into high school they needed more net access to turn in homework and also some of their textbooks were online only. We opted to give up TV and get a wireless satellite for internet- we got the second tier of access vs. the lowest tier. Unfortunately is is very vulnerable to weather issues and we have spent many a n ight sittin g on the high school steps out side the gate so that the kids could log in to the school's network to deal with large files, deadlines etc.!
                            Kimberley Dierdorf
                            http://craftedbykimberleyd.blogspot.com
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/kimdyuma57
                            Please spay or neuter your pets- Adopt from your local shelter

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 5, 2011
                                At 6/5/2011, you wrote:
                                >have spent many a n ight sittin g on the high school steps out side
                                >the gate so that the kids could log in to the
                                >school's network to deal with large files, deadlines etc.!

                                Hi Kimberly,

                                Yep, I do remember those days I live on a hill and it took us 10
                                years to get High Speed Internet.

                                I also get reminded of those days when I travel overseas to work
                                which is every other month these days.

                                I think the Electric Quilt Company has taken this connection problem
                                into consideration since the EQ6 Program is still
                                available for purchase. With this version you do not need to connect
                                to the Internet after you activate the program
                                during installation.

                                For those that have had problems with exceeding their 4 activations
                                because of computer problems and the like, I can tell
                                you I have heard from a number of my students that the EQ Company has
                                been very accommodating. They also say, when
                                you call them you get a person and they have the patience of angels.

                                In addition since the very first version of the software Tech Support
                                has been and still is "free". I have software programs that I only get
                                tech support for the first 15 days of ownership of any version, after
                                that I have to pay starting at $45 per incident or $25 per half hour.

                                That's much more then I can say for a couple of programs I have on my
                                computer and paid a lot more money for. I am talking 4 figure price
                                tags here. For one program I have had to paid upwards of $150 to
                                deactivate when I am on the road teaching and forgot to switch off my
                                desktop and switch on my laptop. And as of January they have the
                                deactivation service computerized so I can not play on the sympathy
                                of a human. So now when I am setting in "tim buck too" (sp) and need
                                to deactivate by desktop and activate my laptop for a class that will
                                be starting in 10 minutes, all that computer wants is my credit card
                                number before "it" will help me. I do have an affiliation with this
                                software company that I will not name, no it is not that one.

                                OK, because of a few not so nice people we now have activations and
                                validations with EQ. All in all, I will take the personal support we get
                                from the EQ Company any day over talking to computerized tech support.

                                I do not work for the Electric Quilt Company. I do teach and sell
                                their quilting programs.

                                BTW, I have never heard any complaints from my overseas students
                                about activation/validation problems and a lot more of them
                                have dialup and pay a whole lot more for it and EQ.

                                *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 6, 2011
                                  I would rather have a dongle like all my other software has.

                                  --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Eileen Hoheisel" <quilter52@...> wrote:

                                  > There were a lot of people unhappy with the limited activations of EQ6, and
                                  > EQ listened to us. They talked about using a dongle (which I don't fully
                                  > understand, but didn't like what I'd heard about it), or using the system
                                  > they finally chose for EQ7.
                                  >

                                  > You can have EQ7 INSTALLED on a gazillion computers if you want to, but only
                                  > two can be ACTIVATED at the same time.
                                  >

                                  > I, too, have had major problems with my computers. I went through all four
                                  > of my EQ6 activations, plus another, they gave me that one free, but
                                  > thereafter it would be $37. I got EQ7 for the price of two more EQ6
                                  > activations, not a bad deal. I put up with a badly functioning computer
                                  > until EQ7 came out, because I didn't want to pay for another activation.
                                  > I'll put up with the validation thing any day over the limited activations.
                                  > And EQ7 is so far ahead of EQ5 that there is no way I'd ever go back to EQ5.
                                  >

                                  > With the EQ7 installation/activation/validation process, you CAN install it
                                  > as many times as you want, with two restrictions-it can be only activated on
                                  > two at a time, and needs to be validated occasionally.
                                  >

                                  > I think that's a win-win situation-it protects the company, while still
                                  > giving the user some leeway. And to top it off-how many software companies
                                  > can you call, have a real person answer the phone, and give you the help you
                                  > need-all for free?? How does that compare to Microsoft, or Intuit, or any
                                  > other company?
                                  >

                                  > Eileen
                                  >

                                  > I'm sure they have their reasons but the one issue that got to me was you
                                  > could only install (think it was version 6?) so many times and then you had
                                  > to call company and get a new install code "if you qualified". I had my
                                  > laptop and tower both go down so many times that year , plus ended up having
                                  > to get new laptop and then when that one crashed on me they sent another one
                                  > so it was a nightmare. Needless to say, I had to call to get a new install
                                  > code after all my issues were corrected. To me if you have the software,
                                  > you should be able to install it as many times as you want without
                                  > restrictions. I'm not sure if they fixed that in version 7 as haven't
                                  > installed it yet. Been too busy.
                                  >
                                  > Carolyn Milne

                                • Carolyn Milne
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 6, 2011
                                    I can honestly live with only using on two computers as I do alternate from
                                    tower to laptop but not at same time. So glad they stopped that limited
                                    activations as honestly I would have gone to another software if it
                                    continued. Too many computer problems and a lot of us upgrade often to new
                                    computers also.

                                    A dongle is ok but one thing I don't like is when they break - have had one
                                    do that and was charged a horrible price for a new one. I'm not sure what
                                    method Embird software uses but they send us a license to install and they
                                    do have a way to validate things and you can put on more than one computer
                                    without all the issues of dongle, limited activations etc.

                                  • Carolyn Milne
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 6, 2011
                                      I completely understand they are trying to stop the sharing of software and
                                      I support that but I also think there is a way to do it without limiting us
                                      to how many times we can activate. Evidently they have stopped that so I am
                                      for one happy and will install my version 7 today. I have held off as my
                                      computer has been acting strange again. I am wondering if these huge hard
                                      drives are the issue as it seems like they work great for a year and then
                                      start going downhill. I had so many issues two years ago I got carbonite
                                      backup service and love it but of course it doesn't prevent me from having
                                      to install programs again.