Re: Parallelogram

  • Sharon Sauser
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2011
      Susan,
      It could be that the size of your shape is not easily rotary cut. Print a template and attach it to the underside of your ruler to cut it, and the shape should be the correct size.
      Sharon

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2011
        No, it shows just how to cut it and the degrees of the angles, but the little arrow at the bottom don't extend the full length of the shape. I think it is just a glitch that it doesn't like parallelograms
        Thanks,
        Susan G
        Central Oregon

        --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Sauser" <ssauser@...> wrote:

        > Susan,
        > It could be that the size of your shape is not easily rotary cut. Print a template and attach it to the underside of your ruler to cut it, and the shape should be the correct size.
        > Sharon

      • ejean100
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 2, 2011
          Susan,
          I'm new to EQ (I've got version 6); but I was curious about this, so I made a block with a parallelogram. When I looked at the Print>Rotary Cutting>Preview, it showed the parallelogram strip piece as you are describing. On the strip, the vertical measurement on the right would be the width that your strip would be cut. The horizontal measurement on the bottom would be the distance apart that you would make your angled cuts. That is, my EQ6 is showing the information correctly. I then printed out (File>Print>Templates) and actually measured the template for the parallelogram. The measurements were exactly what the Rotary Cutting chart showed.
          Hope this helps,
          Elaine
          Charlestown, IN, USA

          --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <sgardner@...> wrote:

          > No, it shows just how to cut it and the degrees of the angles, but the little arrow at the bottom don't extend the full length of the shape. I think it is just a glitch that it doesn't like parallelograms
          > Thanks,
          > Susan G
          > Central Oregon
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 5, 2011
            I'm just saying that if a person cut a strip the size given, you could not cut the parallelogram from that strip. I just printed a template for a parallelogram and then checked the size of the rotary cutting and the template would not fit on the strip. Granted the measurement arrows tell you that you need extra to cut both of the points. Actually for mine, it came out that the measurement was not accurate length wize.
            Something I do when paperpiecing is to print out the rotary cutting instructions for a block 1.5" larger that the actual block I'm making. This way I have plenty of fudge factor for triangles to make sure they fit.
            Susan G
            Central Oregon

            --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "ejean100" <fryelai@...> wrote:

            > Susan,
            > I'm new to EQ (I've got version 6); but I was curious about this, so I made a block with a parallelogram. When I looked at the Print>Rotary Cutting>Preview, it showed the parallelogram strip piece as you are describing. On the strip, the vertical measurement on the right would be the width that your strip would be cut. The horizontal measurement on the bottom would be the distance apart that you would make your angled cuts. That is, my EQ6 is showing the information correctly. I then printed out (File>Print>Templates) and actually measured the template for the parallelogram. The measurements were exactly what the Rotary Cutting chart showed.
            > Hope this helps,
            > Elaine
            > Charlestown, IN, USA
            >
            > --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <sgardner@> wrote:
            > >
            > > No, it shows just how to cut it and the degrees of the angles, but the little arrow at the bottom don't extend the full length of the shape. I think it is just a glitch that it doesn't like parallelograms
            > > Thanks,
            > > Susan G
            > > Central Oregon

          • ejean100
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 5, 2011
              Gee, Susan, I have to think that is very strange. It works perfectly in my version of EQ. The measurement for the strip was dead-on what the template measured. What version are you using? I'm using version 6.

              Anyway, I guess the lesson here is that we should double-check the Rotary cutting chart with an actual template print-out, eh?

              Elaine
              Charlestown, IN, USA

              --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <sgardner@...> wrote:

              > I'm just saying that if a person cut a strip the size given, you could not cut the parallelogram from that strip. I just printed a template for a parallelogram and then checked the size of the rotary cutting and the template would not fit on the strip.
            • Sue Clark Koenig
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 6, 2011
                I just had the same thing happen with a parallelogram. The rotary cutting
                directions were 1/8 inch smaller than the template – both using ¼ inch seam
                lines. I’m using EQ7. I’m probably ‘anal’ but I usually print the
                templates as well as the rotary directions so I can double check everything
                before cutting. This is the first time I have had the problem and I’ve cut
                parallelograms before.

                Sue Clark Koenig
                Denver, Colorado, US

                >>Gee, Susan, I have to think that is very strange. It works perfectly in my
                version of EQ. The measurement for the strip was dead-on what the template
                measured. What version are you using? I'm using version 6.

                Anyway, I guess the lesson here is that we should double-check the Rotary
                cutting chart with an actual template print-out, eh?

                Elaine
                Charlestown, IN, USA

                --- In <mailto:Electric_Quilt%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 6, 2011
                  I have posted a picture of how EQ7 works, here is the link to the photo:
                  http://tinyurl.com/parallogram
                  I'm pretty sure EQ6 is just the same, I wonder if you are actually looking at a parallelogram since others are seeing just what I am?
                  Thanks,
                  Susan G
                  Central Oregon

                  --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "ejean100" <fryelai@...> wrote:

                  > Gee, Susan, I have to think that is very strange. It works perfectly in my version of EQ. The measurement for the strip was dead-on what the template measured. What version are you using? I'm using version 6.
                  >
                  > Anyway, I guess the lesson here is that we should double-check the Rotary cutting chart with an actual template print-out, eh?
                  >
                  > Elaine
                  > Charlestown, IN, USA
                  >
                  > --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <sgardner@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm just saying that if a person cut a strip the size given, you could not cut the parallelogram from that strip. I just printed a template for a parallelogram and then checked the size of the rotary cutting and the template would not fit on the strip.

                • qtpie
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 6, 2011
                    could you possibly have your printer set at 'shrink to fit' setting instead of 100%??

                    that would cause your templates to be too small.

                    Thea in PA

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 6, 2011
                      The M-E-A-S-U-R-E-M-E-N-T given below the rotary cutting picture is not the full lengh of the piece to be cut! The arrow below the little picture does not go the full lengh of the actual piece! Look at the picture I posted.
                      Thanks,
                      Susan G
                      Central Oregon

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 6, 2011
                        The template is fine.
                        Susan

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 6, 2011
                          OK, I guess what the picture shows for the rotary cutting diagram is misleading (to me anyway). First of all, I don't generally use what ever tool that would help me with the odd angles. Secondly I don't nub my pieces.
                          The measurement arrow makes it appear that both points are not included in the meaurement. If I just cut the strip to the length they tell me, I think it would be hard to cut the nubbed piece from it, like where do I start cutting the angle?.
                          I guess all of this is really a moot point, I would use a template for this piece if I were really going to do this. What I often do is paper piece, and I try to cut pieces at least the size of the templates, and usually larger to make sure I don't short myself.

                        • KRRCrafts@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 6, 2011
                            I just tried it in EQ7, and the rotary cutting was perfect. Hope you can
                            figure it out Susan. Kathy R

                            The left side of my brain ran away, and the right side went to find it.
                            I don't think they're ever coming back.

                          • ejean100
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 6, 2011
                              I looked at your picture, Susan; and yes, I am actually referring to a parallelogram. Now I don't know what size your template is, but when I look at your diagram I see that you are suppose to cut your strip 7/8 inch wide. Then you take that strip and use a 45 degree ruler and make your cross-cuts; each cross-cut to be 2-1/8 inch apart. That is how I would do rotary cutting, but, perhaps, others do it differently. Each angled cut will make the upper point (that you are questioning) for one piece and the lower point for the next piece. I hope that makes sense. You would not cut your strip to 2-1/8 inches wide. I don't see a problem with your diagram, unless the measurements do not coincide with your template, as someone else mentioned in another post.

                              Good luck on getting it to work,

                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 7, 2011
                                The template is correct; the rotary cutting instructions are wrong.

                                Sue Clark Koenig
                                Denver, CO US

                                >> could you possibly have your printer set at 'shrink to fit' setting
                                instead of 100%??

                                that would cause your templates to be too small.

                                Thea in PA

                              • Eileen Hoheisel
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 7, 2011
                                  I don't understand-what do you feel the rotary cutting instructions should
                                  say?

                                  Eileen

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 7, 2011

                                    is this more like what you were expecting to see?

                                    thea in pa

                                    --- In Electric_Quilt@yahoogroups.com, "Eileen Hoheisel" <quilter52@...> wrote:

                                    > I don't understand-what do you feel the rotary cutting instructions should
                                    > say?
                                    >

                                    > Eileen

                                  • Sue Clark Koenig
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 8, 2011
                                      The rotary instructions have the strip cut at 5 3/4 inches and the same
                                      template dimension is 5 7/8

                                      I split the difference in cutting by 1/16 of an inch.

                                      Sue Clark Koenig
                                      Denver, CO USA

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 9, 2011
                                        I just think that the arrow should be from the beginning of the cutting diagram to the end of it, if that is what the measurement really includes. I do understand that if you nest the pieces you cut that each repeat would be from the arrow points.
                                        Sort of confusing(ed) Anyway I guess we can just end the discussion.
                                        Thanks everyone,
                                        Susan G