foundation piecing

  • tagulick2222
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2009
      I am new to foundation piecing and am creating a quilt in EQ6. When you go to print the foundation pieces, there is an option to group sections. Why would you group sections? I thought you printed the entire foundation on one page.
      Thanks,
      Terry
    • Sheila Williams
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2009
        At 8/3/2009, you wrote:
        >I am new to foundation piecing and am creating a quilt in EQ6. When
        >you go to print the foundation pieces, there is an option to group
        >sections. Why would you group sections? I thought you printed the
        >entire foundation on one page.

        Hi Terry,

        Suppose you had designed you quilt using foundation piecing blocks
        but did not like the way the templates in one block were
        grouped for sewing. Say they had you sewing 1, 2 then 3 but you
        think it would work better if you were to sew 1, 2, 4 then 3.

        The Section Tab allows you to regroup the templates the way you would
        prefer to sew them.

        Another example, suppose you have been designing your own paper
        piecing patterns for many years and would rather tell the
        software how to group the templates together rather then have it
        group them for you. The Group sections allows you to do this.

        Still another example, suppose you would prefer to sew the block in
        sections and the software had the block printed out as on sheet.
        The Sections Tab allows you to regroup the templates the way you
        would prefer to sew them.

        I use the Section Tab to group selected templates together and then
        print them all the time.

        Give it a try and see what you come up with. Select a block you have
        foundation pieced in the pass and use the instructions on
        Pages 270 - 271 in your EQ6 User Manual to renumber and regroup the
        templates a different way. Believe me it does come in handy.

        *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
        Sheila Williams
        Temecula, CA
        Computer and Quilting Software Consultant
        donegan@...
        http://www.SheilaWilliams.com
      • tagulick2222
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2009
          Thanks Sheila for the answers to my questions. I am new to this and not understanding why you would sew the foundations out in two separate groups. Do you later sew the two sections together?
          Thanks,
          Terry
        • Sheila Williams
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2009
            At 8/3/2009, you wrote:
            >Thanks Sheila for the answers to my questions. I am new to this and
            >not understanding why you would sew the foundations out in two
            >separate groups. Do you later sew the two sections together?

            Yes I do.

            I tend to design very complicated paper piecing blocks. So sectioning
            the templates makes sewing them easier. Then I sew
            the sections together to complete the block.

            *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
            Sheila Williams
            Temecula, CA
            Computer and Quilting Software Consultant
            donegan@...
            http://www.SheilaWilliams.com
          • angelkruiser1
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2009
              You cana print on one page, but you can also start over the numbering system and change how you might prefer to paper piece it, if you have a better method in your head how you would like to do it rather than using the software program. There is always more than one way to skin a cat. Big grin. You might like to select re-start numbering and experiment. Its fun too. Say you wanted to start on one side, or maybe you'd rather start from the middle and work out. etc etc

              Lindy
              --- In EQ5_EQ6@yahoogroups.com, "tagulick2222" <tagulick2222@...> wrote:

              > I am new to foundation piecing and am creating a quilt in EQ6. When you go to print the foundation pieces, there is an option to group sections. Why would you group sections? I thought you printed the entire foundation on one page.
              > Thanks,
              > Terry

            • Sheron Snyder
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2009
                One of the big advantages to me, it that I can avoid Y seams. Second advantage for me was chain piecing. Having the ablity to piece the Mariner's Compass parts to bigger and bigger hunks made the job quicker for me. As 'stupidly' that was my first design and quilt project.

                Sheron in the middle of a steamy Mitten

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2009
                  I'n not Sheila, but I have an answer to your question about sectioning of blocks.
                  Yes, you sew the sections together after each section is pieced. Many blocks are just too complicated to piece all in one section. I suggest you print out and take a look at a block that EQ prints out in sections. After you study it you will probably see how you can not continue piecing off of one section. I'm sure if you try it you will understand how some blocks just won't work as one section.
                  By complicated, I don't mean that the block will be hard to do, in sections anyway, don't want to scare you off! LOL.
                  Check out Paperpanache.com. Now they have some really complicated blocks, but if you just progress along section by section following the numbers, you can do most anything!
                  Susan G
                  Central Oregon

                  --- In EQ5_EQ6@yahoogroups.com, "tagulick2222" <tagulick2222@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Sheila for the answers to my questions. I am new to this and not understanding why you would sew the foundations out in two separate groups. Do you later sew the two sections together?
                  > Thanks,
                  > Terry

                • tagulick2222
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 9, 2009
                    Thanks for all the replies on my questions of foundation piecing. As with anything, it is all "greek" at first but slowly coming together the more I look at it.

                    The light is slowly getting brighter!!
                    Terry