EQ on Quilting Arts tv show

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
      Have any of you seen Andrea Bishop on Quilting Arts? She was showing how to skew blocks for different looks. For example, if you have a simple 8 pointed star, like a Lone Star, you can put in a 4 patch, 9 patch or any other block, in the points, and they will skew to fit the point. Then you can print out your block as a foundation, and sew them as paper pieced, to get all the angles right. I hadn't thought about doing that before, and it opens up a lot of creative ways to use some of the blocks. I have been playing around with different blocks in the points, and while I'm not sure I would want to sew any of them, I'm getting some interesting looking stars.

      Diane in Colorado Springs
    • Robin Hoff Kaspar
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2009
        My PBS station is running QA and I do enjoy Andrea's segments, albeit
        too short and without a lot of details. They were showing series 100
        and last Saturday jumped to series 300. Do you know what the episode
        number is for this one?

        Robin in Short Pump
        visit my blog: www.allthingsrobin.wordpress.com

        On Apr 2, 2009, at 1:15 AM, Diane wrote:

        > Have any of you seen Andrea Bishop on Quilting Arts? She was showing
        > how to skew blocks for different looks. For example, if you have a
        > simple 8 pointed star, like a Lone Star, you can put in a 4 patch, 9
        > patch or any other block, in the points, and they will skew to fit
        > the point. Then you can print out your block as a foundation, and
        > sew them as paper pieced, to get all the angles right. I hadn't
        > thought about doing that before, and it opens up a lot of creative
        > ways to use some of the blocks. I have been playing around with
        > different blocks in the points, and while I'm not sure I would want
        > to sew any of them, I'm getting some interesting looking stars.
        >
        > Diane in Colorado Springs
      • Diane
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2009
          Robin,

          It was episode 313. You can go to the Quilting Arts website, and find information about all the episodes from the show and most of them have a PDF file that you can download. The PDF file for the skewed blocks shows examples of a Lone Star layout, and Tumbling Blocks layouts, with 9 different blocks put into the layouts. Granted there still isn't a lot of information in the PDF file, but it will show you a few layouts to try, and what some of the blocks will look like.

          I like to put more complicated blocks in the layouts, just to see what they would look like.

          Diane in Colorado Springs

          --- In EQ5_EQ6@yahoogroups.com, Robin Hoff Kaspar <kaspar.robin@...> wrote:

          > My PBS station is running QA and I do enjoy Andrea's segments, albeit
          > too short and without a lot of details. They were showing series 100
          > and last Saturday jumped to series 300. Do you know what the episode
          > number is for this one?
          >
          > Robin in Short Pump
          > visit my blog: www.allthingsrobin.wordpress.com
        • Kathy Bowers
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2009
            Thanks Diane, good info.

            This particular show is in series 300, episode 313 segment 3, + Andrea
            provides a PDF file with instructions. Link: www.quiltingartstv.com then
            choose projects.

            Kathy B in WA

            Messages In This Digest (1 Message)

            1.

            EQ on Quilting Arts tv show From: Diane

            3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzEzMDA0OTEwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzYzNwRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDYXR
            wYwRzdGltZQMxMjM4NjY0MDk0?xm=1&m=p&tidx=1> View All Topics |
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EQ5_EQ6/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJnYXNhMzZqBF9TAzk3MzU
            5NzE1BGdycElkAzEzMDA0OTEwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzYzNwRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDbnRwYwR
            zdGltZQMxMjM4NjY0MDk0> Create New Topic

            Message

            1.

            TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzEzMDA0OTEwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzYzNwRtc2dJZAMzMzcyBHN
            lYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyMzg2NjQwOTQ-> EQ on Quilting Arts tv show

            Posted by: "Diane"
            <mailto:Mailmanldy@...?Subject=%20Re%3AEQ%20on%20Quilting%20Arts%20tv%20
            show> Mailmanldy@... <http://profiles.yahoo.com/craftymailmanlady>
            craftymailmanlady

            Wed Apr 1, 2009 10:17 pm (PDT)

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2009
              > I like to put more complicated blocks in the layouts, just to see what they
              > would look like.

              I tried that with one of their automatic borders. It looked so good, I
              decided to actually make the quilt. It's called "What Was I Thinking?"
              because it was one of the hardest quilts I've ever made, with 2" Ohio
              Stars in the corners. It's not quilted yet and I'm not sure I'll ever
              get it exactly square.

              Robin
            • Diane
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2009
                Robin,
                That is one of the reasons I like EQ. You can design quilts to your hearts content, and if you like what you created, you can actually make it. If you don't like it, you didn't waste time and fabric trying something out only to find out you don't like it at all.

                Diane in Colorado Springs

                --- In EQ5_EQ6@yahoogroups.com, Robin Hoff Kaspar <kaspar.robin@...> wrote:

                > > I like to put more complicated blocks in the layouts, just to see what they
                > > would look like.
                >
                > I tried that with one of their automatic borders. It looked so good, I
                > decided to actually make the quilt. It's called "What Was I Thinking?"
                > because it was one of the hardest quilts I've ever made, with 2" Ohio
                > Stars in the corners. It's not quilted yet and I'm not sure I'll ever
                > get it exactly square.
                >
                > Robin

              • M.L. Silva
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 21, 2009
                  Hi all -

                  This is a little off topic, so please send replies to me off list.

                  We do not have the Quilting Arts TV show in my area, and I have never
                  seen it.
                  One of my friends and I were thinking about purchasing the season 2 & 3
                  DVDs. I was just wondering if you thought it was worth it, before we
                  spend the $.

                  Thanks in advance for any input.

                  Lou