Other fabric Libraries? (Was - Re: Connecting Threads Fabric Libraries)

  • M.L. Silva
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi all -

      This thread got me wondering if there are any other free fabric library
      updates for EQ6 ? I always get the EQ monthly ones, but I did not know
      about the connecting threads ones until this post. Are there any others
      out there?

      Is sort of irks me that you have to purchase "Stash" as an add on. To
      me, that just means that I have to pay to have the fabric companies
      advertise to me. Arrugh. Yes, I have used FabLib, and have downloaded
      swatches to import, but that only works when there is a fabric I already
      know that I might want to try. I would like to use EQ6 to browse
      fabrics that I might not know about, without having to spend hours in a
      shop.

      Thanks,

      Lou from Pittsburgh
    • dotmrichey@aol.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 1, 2009
        " think that QuiltUniversity should still have classes
        available to those who have EQ5; as long as EQ is selling it on their
        website. If you are selling a product, you should offer all the support
        that the newer version offers till you no longer offer that product for
        sale."
        time about both EQ5 & 6, as well as all the rest of their software, such as
        Block Base, Dear Jane, Quiltmaker, etc., etc., etc.. They also have forums on
        their (EQ) website to support both EQ5 & 6, as well as all their other
        software (see above). If your questions are not answered by those two methods,
        just email EQ at Tech Support to get a personal reply to your questions,
        usually within 24 hours. EQ has the BEST, by far, technical support of any
        software company I have ever had experience with, period! They also offer so much
        in the way of free add-ons, contests, lessons, videos, blogs, free downloads,
        .....I could go on and on, but you get the idea, don't you? The company is
        also run by people of class ! They are caring, helping individuals, who we
        know by name and who will take all the time necessary to help us out when we
        need it, weekends, evenings, you name it. Penny is always on call, in fact we
        often wonder when she sleeps or eats! They are simply the best!

        Dottie in Atlanta
        _mailto_ (http://mailto/) :dotmrichey@...
        steps!
        %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

      • Ingrid
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 1, 2009
          Well, it seems there's just no way to satisfy some people. But the majority
          of us LOVE EQ and everything about the company, the people, products,
          software, web site, downloads & most of the users.

          Three cheers for EQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          Ingrid

          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 1, 2009
            --- In EQ5_EQ6@yahoogroups.com, "Ingrid" <ingrid46@...> wrote:

            > Well, it seems there's just no way to satisfy some people. But the
            majority

            People, people, people: remember when we had to make template with
            paper or cardboard and then cut the fabric with sizzzzzzors. Now that
            was time comsuming. The hardest part was not trimming the template as
            you were cutting the fabric. Then there were no fast cut rulers. You
            measured, chalked (white) then cut. EQ6 does almost everything except
            make the quilt for you. Horay for EQ!!!!!~!
          • Judy M
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 1, 2009
              Moda Fabrics have images of their fabric lines available for download at
              http://www.unitednotions.com/un_main.nsf/mf_new

              It's not as easy as the Connecting Treads files, as you download zip files of the jpg images. You then have to extract the jpg files, Import them into EQ6 and copy and paste the images into your library, but it can be done.

              Judy in Toronto

              At 07:34 AM 01/03/2009 -0500, you wrote:

              >Hi all -
              >
              >This thread got me wondering if there are any other free fabric library
              >updates for EQ6 ? I always get the EQ monthly ones, but I did not know
              >about the connecting threads ones until this post. Are there any others
              >out there?
              >
              >Is sort of irks me that you have to purchase "Stash" as an add on. To
              >me, that just means that I have to pay to have the fabric companies
              >advertise to me. Arrugh. Yes, I have used FabLib, and have downloaded
              >swatches to import, but that only works when there is a fabric I already
              >know that I might want to try. I would like to use EQ6 to browse
              >fabrics that I might not know about, without having to spend hours in a
              >shop.
              >
              >Thanks,
              >
              >Lou from Pittsburgh

            • M.L. Silva
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 2, 2009
                HEY!! I never expected to get blasted for just asking a simple question!

                And just for the record, I **NEVER** said I did not love my EQ6. I was
                willing to switch my whole computer world from Mac to PC -- and a large
                part of that decision was to run this program. I've never complained
                about the activations (I do think they are quite reasonable, actually),
                and I have just one pet peeve -- that I am expected to pay $25 US for
                the privilege of getting an ad from the fabric companies. And ... I'd
                definitely be willing to purchase Stash if it was more reasonable - like
                the cost of producing the CD or something.

                Sorry for offending the majority of you.

                Lou

                Ingrid wrote:
                > Well, it seems there's just no way to satisfy some people. But the majority
                > of us LOVE EQ and everything about the company, the people, products,
                > software, web site, downloads & most of the users.
                >

                > Three cheers for EQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                >

                > Ingrid

              • Grace Grammar
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Lou, I have to say I agree wit you, I dont like paying for advertising........ But even if i didnt, you have the right to your opinion....Different opinions and view are what make for good discussion, thank you for expressing yours ) That being said i am off to purchase my stash CD :-)........ grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 3, 2009
                    I have had EQ for a few years now, and have never purchased any of their Stash CDs. But that being said, I don't look at their Stash CDs as advertising, but rather a convenience to get all the latest fabrics at one time, instead of having to go to each manufactures website to download swatches of their latest fabrics. The cost of the Stash CD far outweighs how much time it would take me to go get all the fabric myself from all the websites.

                    Personally, I design quilts by color, then when I'm happy with my color choices, I go online looking for the fabrics I may want to use. This way, I don't have tons of fabrics, that I will never use in my libraries, and I only need to get fabric swatches I may actually use in a quilt. If I do go to my LQS, I will make a note of the manufacture, and name of the fabrics I like, and then go find swatches online to put into my virtual quilts before I ever buy them.

                    Plus, my LQS doesn't always have all the colorways that a fabric may come in, and by looking at them online, I can see other colorways that I may not otherwise know are even available.

                    If I have purcahsed some fabric, and want to see what it looks like in a quilt, I can always scan that in myself.

                    If I wanted the convenience of ALL the latest fabrics, I would buy Stash, but since I don't want or need them, I will just take the time to get the ones I do want/need as I have a use for them. I don't make enough quilts to ever have a need to have all those fabrics in my EQ Libraries, so I will just get swatches of the fabrics I think I might use.

                    Diane in Colorado Springs

                    --- In EQ5_EQ6@yahoogroups.com, "M.L. Silva" <lists@...> wrote:

                    > Is sort of irks me that you have to purchase "Stash" as an add on. To
                    > me, that just means that I have to pay to have the fabric companies
                    > advertise to me. Arrugh. Yes, I have used FabLib, and have downloaded
                    > swatches to import, but that only works when there is a fabric I already
                    > know that I might want to try. I would like to use EQ6 to browse
                    > fabrics that I might not know about, without having to spend hours in a
                    > shop.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Lou from Pittsburgh

                  • Sheila Williams
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 15, 2009
                      At 3/2/2009, you wrote:
                      >I have just one pet peeve -- that I am expected to pay $25 US for
                      >the privilege of getting an ad from the fabric companies. And ... I'd
                      >definitely be willing to purchase Stash if it was more reasonable -
                      >like the cost of producing the CD or something.
                      >Sorry for offending the majority of you.

                      Hi Lou,

                      I know this subject was talked about a few days ago and you more then
                      likely have moved on from it.

                      But, I would just like to add a few "unknown facts" about the "Stash"
                      CD, that may interest you and others on the list.

                      Understand, no offense has been taken on my part as to your feels
                      about purchasing the STASH CDs. We all are entitled to our own
                      opinions and have final control as to how we spend our hard earned
                      money, thank goodness.

                      I just wanted to make sure you knew more of the facts surrounding the
                      STASH CDs.

                      First, I do not work for the Electric Quilt Company, I am an
                      independent Computer Consultant, however, I do teach, lecture and
                      sell all of the Electric Quilt Products as well as other quilting
                      programs. And yes, I do own all of the EQ Products to include all 19
                      of the STASH CDs and I will be ordering STASH #20 in a couple of weeks.

                      Second, these CDs came about because back in the EQ3 days we only had
                      "fake fabrics" to design with until the EQ Company came out with an
                      update floppy disk that included "real" scanned fabrics from Fabric
                      Manufacturers. I guest you could say EQ created a monster with that
                      floppy disk because from then on we only wanted the real thing to design with.

                      So, back in mid 1999 the Electric Quilt Company approached the Fabric
                      Manufacturers about submitting swatches of their upcoming fall fabric
                      lines to be included in the first STASH Program 1999 (Fall), to be
                      used with EQ4. Needless to say they were not met with a lot of support.

                      Most Manufactures said women would not purchase the CD, since (back
                      then) they did not think women were interested or even use the computer.
                      (Yea, right !). Others thought the CD was a waste of time, they could
                      not see how this would help their bottom line "$". Still others, did
                      not want to preview their upcoming fabric lines before market in fear
                      that the competition would know about them before market.

                      Well, after much talking back and forth, a few Manufacturers (12)
                      gave in and sent Penny some swatches for the CD.

                      Penny and the gang took the first prints of the CDs to the October
                      1999 market and reported back to the Info-eq List that they had sold
                      out of the CD in the first day by the afternoon and needed to send
                      back to the office, for more. In the mean time a number of Fabric
                      Manufacturers came by the EQ Booth to take a look at the CDs but
                      Penny had to tell them that they were all sold out but she could show
                      them the program and how it works on her computer.

                      Needless to say the Fabric Manufacturers were very surprised, since
                      they did not think the CD would sell.

                      Those Manufacturers on the CD saw a nice increase in their sales that
                      next year and increase traffic to their web sites which continues today.

                      The next year Penny did not have as much of a problem getting
                      manufacturers to send swatches. As a matter of fact a number of
                      fabric Manufacturers called and ask to be included in that next CD.

                      This is what happens with the swatch sent for the CD. Once the Fabric
                      Manufacturers send their swatches to the Electric Quilt Company which
                      happens twice a year (Spring and Fall Collections). Andrea scans all
                      of the swatches for the CD and Dean and his gang of programmers add
                      them to the program. Then the program is sent out to be copied to CDs.

                      As for advertisement, you get more advertisement about the fabric
                      lines when you open your copy of any of the leading quilting
                      magazines then you do in the "Stash" Program itself. Inside the
                      program you see the names of the Fabric Manufacturers on the left and
                      the fabric lines under their names. The larger part of the CD is
                      pictures of the fabrics. There are links in the help files to the
                      fabric manufacturers web site so that the user can contact the quilt
                      shops that purchased the fabric line. That is about it.

                      The program is a stand alone program, so you do not have to own EQ to
                      install it. I have a number of clients that own the program that do
                      not own EQ. However, the program does link to the EQ Program.

                      The first STASH CD (#1, Fall 1999) had 2540 swatches of fabric from
                      12 Fabric Manufacturers.

                      The latest STASH CD (#19, Fall 2008) has 6600 swatches of fabric from
                      34 Fabric Manufacturers.

                      BTW, the Fall 2008 CD had all of the Hoffman 2009 Challenge fabrics.

                      Over the years there have been over 44 different Fabric Manufacturers
                      that have appear on the Stash CD.

                      The STASH CDs come out twice a year, April and October. Always
                      before the spring and fall markets. Yes, that means we get to see
                      the new lines of fabric "before" the quilt shop owners do. To me that
                      is worth the price of the CD. ;-) Wish I could get the Quilting
                      Magazines to do this, since they always appear in the quilt shops
                      weeks before my copy arrives in the mail.

                      Personally, I like the CDs because I am not lucky to be able to
                      attend either the Spring or Fall Market to see the fabrics. To that
                      end, I like the ability to see "for myself" the Fabrics that are
                      being offered at market and not only what my local quilt shop owner
                      thinks I will like. No offense shop owners. ;-)

                      As for the price, think about it. 6600 fabric swatches for the price
                      of $24.99 MRP (Ok, $25 if you will) that comes to about 0.00378 cents
                      per swatch. You would spend more then that to drive to the quilt shop
                      and purchase 9 fat quarters of the Hoffman 2009 Challenge fabrics, so
                      that you can come home and scan them into your computer and import
                      them into EQ. For me that would be about an hour and half of lost time.

                      Most of my students will save the cost of the CD in the next couple
                      of weeks just from pocket change to purchase the CD in April.I know
                      because a number of them have told me this is what they do when they
                      receive the reminder e-mail from me that the CD will be out in
                      April/October in the past.

                      Again, this message is just to let you know the facts.

                      *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
                      Sheila Williams
                      Temecula, CA
                      Computer and Quilting Software Consultant
                      donegan@...
                      http://www.SheilaWilliams.com
                    • Gayle
                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 16, 2009
                        Thank you so much for the wealth of information on Stash, Sheila...really quite interesting! I think this is the second time I've posted to this group since I joined several months ago. Your post inspired me :-)

                        I'm new to EQ6 and haven't spent much time with it, I'm sorry to say. I just haven't been motivated to learn it yet. I really wanted to see if it would work well for art quilt design, but the one Yahoo Group that seemed to be dedicated to just that purpose isn't moderated well (or at all, I think) and one of the few posts that did finally show for the group was extremely negative and critical of the members for not being more actively involved. Several of us left the group because of it.

                        Anyway, I'm really enjoying your informative posts, Sheila - thank you!

                        ~ Gayle
                      • lerandia
                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 16, 2009
                          Thank you so much for explaining what STASH is. I,like some others, thought it was kind of a waste of money.

                          The only problem I have, still, is that when I am trying to print fabric yardages the fabric names and manufactures are not listed. Or am I missing something? This goes for scanned, downloaded, and pre-loaded fabrics.

                          Talk about a pain to go back and forth between the printed fabric yardages and try to match them with the fabrics. Unless, of course, there IS a way to get the fabric names printed in the yardage. :)

                          ~Nichole
                        • Kay Ahr
                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 16, 2009
                            --- In EQ5_EQ6@yahoogroups.com, Sheila Williams <donegan@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > of $24.99 MRP (Ok, $25 if you will) that comes to about 0.00378 cents
                            > per swatch. You would spend more then that to drive to the quilt shop
                            > and purchase 9 fat quarters of the Hoffman 2009 Challenge fabrics, so
                            > that you can come home and scan them into your computer and import
                            > them into EQ. For me that would be about an hour and half of lost time.
                            >
                            > Most of my students will save the cost of the CD in the next couple
                            > of weeks just from pocket change to purchase the CD in April.I know
                            > because a number of them have told me this is what they do when they
                            > receive the reminder e-mail from me that the CD will be out in
                            > April/October in the past.
                            >
                            > Again, this message is just to let you know the facts.
                            >

                            > *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
                            > Sheila Williams
                            > Temecula, CA
                            > Computer and Quilting Software Consultant

                            Great piece of history!! Thank you. I have a few STASH CDs sitting here on my computer desk. I sure don't know what I'm waiting for!

                            Kay Ahr in NV
                          • Sheila Williams
                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 16, 2009
                              At 3/16/2009, you wrote:
                              >Great piece of history!! Thank you. I have a few STASH CDs sitting
                              >here on my computer desk. I sure don't know what I'm waiting for!

                              Hi Kay,

                              Me either.

                              It is so much fun to be able to see a design with actual fabric and
                              to have it in fabric that is in your sewing room is just COOL !!

                              BTW, when you install your CDs make sure you install them in the
                              order they were published and make sure you restart your
                              computer after you install each CD.

                              Example:

                              Stash 2
                              Stash 4
                              Stash 6

                              Now get busy and install.

                              *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 16, 2009
                                At 3/16/2009, you wrote:
                                >The only problem I have, still, is that when I am trying to print
                                >fabric yardages the fabric names and manufactures are not listed. Or
                                >am I missing something? This goes for scanned, downloaded, and
                                >pre-loaded fabrics.
                                >Talk about a pain to go back and forth between the printed fabric
                                >yardages and try to match them with the fabrics. Unless, of course,
                                >there IS a way to get the fabric names printed in the yardage. :)

                                Hi Nicole,

                                Thank you.

                                No you are not missing anything, if you are creating your Shopping
                                Bag in Stash and then opening the Shopping Bag in EQ and then
                                designing your Quilt with the fabrics. EQ5 nor EQ6 have the ability
                                to print the Notecard information for the fabrics on the fabric
                                yardage sheet you generate in EQ.

                                A work around to that would be to select your fabrics in STASH, add
                                them to a Shopping Bag and then print the Shopping bag. Then once
                                you design your quilt in EQ all you have to do is write down the
                                amount of fabric on the STASH sheet you printed.

                                BTW, this feature has been request by me for EQ on behave of a number
                                of my students. So if you really want this feature drop a note to
                                the EQ Company.

                                *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 17, 2009
                                  Sheila -

                                  Thanks for this wonderful and complete analysis ... you are my favorite
                                  EQ goddess :-) (Seriously!)

                                  It's that process of 'auditioning' fabrics that I would love stash for,
                                  and I am sure that it is more than useful. In fact your message has
                                  definitely made me more likely to purchase it.

                                  Now, what about the next thing holding me back ... the freshness date:
                                  how often do stash cds become obsolete? (OK - really a rhetorical
                                  question ... I know it is must be based on how much a fabric sells ...)

                                  Thanks so much for your analysis - it is enlightening to see how much
                                  goes into something!

                                  Lou

                                  Sheila Williams wrote:

> [...]
                                  > of weeks just from pocket change to purchase the CD in April.I know
                                  > because a number of them have told me this is what they do when they
                                  > receive the reminder e-mail from me that the CD will be out in
                                  > April/October in the past.
                                  >
                                  > Again, this message is just to let you know the facts.
                                  >

                                  > *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
                                  > Sheila Williams
                                  > Temecula, CA
                                  > Computer and Quilting Software Consultant
                                  > donegan@...
                                  > http://www.SheilaWilliams.com
                                  >
                                  > At 3/2/2009, you wrote:
                                  >

                                  >> I have just one pet peeve -- that I am expected to pay $25 US for
                                  >> the privilege of getting an ad from the fabric companies. And ... I'd
                                  >> definitely be willing to purchase Stash if it was more reasonable -
                                  >> like the cost of producing the CD or something.
                                  >> Sorry for offending the majority of you.

                                • Susan Gardner
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 17, 2009
                                    I have purchased only one Stash. I really like it, but for some reason I seem to miss when the newer ones come out. However, I have become inspired to buy some newer ones by your message, Shiela.
                                    Basically I just try to find the colors of fabrics I want from what I find in EQ6 and the one Stash I have, then purchase what I find at our local quilt shop that matches the basic colors. I have downloaded swatches from fabric shop web sites, but it can be very time consuming, so I think the price of the Stash CD's are well worth the work that I know is put into them.
                                    I completely forgot about the shopping bag. To tell the truth I don't use Block base much except for the blocks. I do wish they had names and not just numbers so I could do a search for a particular block by name. Most times I just draw what I want because I find it easier & faster than doing a physical search. I'll have to check out my books for how to do the shopping bag.
                                    Susan G
                                    Central Oregon
                                  • Sheila Williams
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 17, 2009
                                      At 3/17/2009, Susan Gardner wrote:
                                      >To tell the truth I don't use Block base much except for the blocks.
                                      >I do wish they had names and not just numbers so I could do a search
                                      >for a particular block by name. Most times I just draw what I want
                                      >because I find it easier & faster than doing a physical search. I'll
                                      >have to check out my books for how to do the shopping bag.

                                      HI Susan,

                                      If you have BlockBase linked to EQ (see page 136 - 137 in your EQ6
                                      Manual) your EQ6 Program and then use the instructions on Page 130 to
                                      conduct a search on the name of blocks. Pay close attention to Step 3
                                      in the instructions.

                                      *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Mar 18, 2009
                                        Well, silly me. I thought I had tried a search before that didn't give me what I was looking for but was pretty sure would have been in Block Base. Maybe it just wasn't named what I thought it was. I just tried it and it worked fine.
                                        Thanks,
                                        Susan G

                                        --- In EQ5_EQ6@yahoogroups.com, Sheila Williams <donegan@...> wrote:

                                        > At 3/17/2009, Susan Gardner wrote:
                                        > >To tell the truth I don't use Block base much except for the blocks.
                                        > >I do wish they had names and not just numbers so I could do a search
                                        > >for a particular block by name. Most times I just draw what I want
                                        > >because I find it easier & faster than doing a physical search. I'll
                                        > >have to check out my books for how to do the shopping bag.
                                        >
                                        > HI Susan,
                                        >
                                        > If you have BlockBase linked to EQ (see page 136 - 137 in your EQ6
                                        > Manual) your EQ6 Program and then use the instructions on Page 130 to
                                        > conduct a search on the name of blocks. Pay close attention to Step 3
                                        > in the instructions.
                                        >

                                        > *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
                                        > Sheila Williams
                                        > Temecula, CA
                                        > Computer and Quilting Software Consultant
                                        > donegan@...
                                        > http://www.SheilaWilliams.com

                                      • dustbunny1223
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Mar 18, 2009
                                          Hi Sheila,

                                          Can you do this same thing in EQ5 since that is what I use? Thanks, Carol

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Mar 18, 2009
                                            At 3/18/2009, you wrote:
                                            >Hi Sheila,
                                            >Can you do this same thing in EQ5 since that is what I use?

                                            Hi Carol,

                                            Yes, this feature is in EQ5, just go to Page 140 in your EQ5 Design Cookbook.

                                            If you do not have the Manual check out the Help files in the program.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Mar 19, 2009
                                              Hi Sheila,

                                              Yes, I have my manual - thank you so much for your reply. Hugs, Carol