Fw: Introduction

  • Christine Abela
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 4, 2005
      From: Leigh Poppleton
      To: EQ5 Moderator
      Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 2:12 PM
      Subject: Introduction

      I am getting the EQ5 in the mail in the next few days. My husband ordered it
      for me with 5 books to teach you how to use the program. I am so excited.

      I live in northern Utah, I am married, we have 5 grown children and on 10
      yr. old. I was born in Fla. 12/25/53, medically retired. My husband works
      for ATK/Thiokol which make the shuttle motors for NASA he is a Elec.
      Engineer Tech. He does all the vibration testing on the motors and
      hydrostatic tests.

      I raise Imperial Shih Tzu's. We have three as family members. They are
      quite the company as they love to lay on the fabric while I quilt if they
      get the chance. They a jealous of the time spent at the sewing machines or
      quilt frame.

      I also collect and use peoplepowered sewing machines. I have a Pffaf
      treadle and a Singer handcrank, as well as a New Home 6000 computer machine.
      I also have the four rail Grace quilting frame. It does make it easier as
      it folds when not in use so the floor space is once again open.

      I guess that is about all.

    • Christine Abela
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 20, 2006
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 20, 2006
          welcome to the group Lois

          Lizzie
          I just joined the EQ list and was told to introduce myself.

          I received EQ5 as a Christmas gift and am working through the tutorials. I
          also have the Dear Jane program and have been using it to make the blocks

        • Janet Ciravola
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 20, 2006
            Greetings from "balmy" Rochester, NY (heh heh...NOT):

            I am an EQ5 owner and loving it. I bought the last of the 5 books today,
            took them all to Office Max, had the bindings cut off, holes punched, vinyl
            covers added, and a nice plastic spiral binding. Books like these, I
            like them to lay flat when I'm using them. I think they look so much nicer
            too.

            I am a quilter, as well as a Machine Embroider. Own EQ5 and the Viking 3D
            Professional Software system. I'm a computer technician by trade, so I
            tend to really lean towards the computerized stuff.

            Is there anyone out there in NY?

            Jan C.

          • Gina Reddin
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 21, 2006
              What a great idea to do to the books!!

              I can't wait until we can import our own embroidery designs instead of the
              ones that in there.

              Gina Reddin

              http://WWW.splintersandthreads.net : Embroidery / Quilt shop

              ***** Home of Snowflake Names: *****

              "Remember me not for the condition of my home but by the love contained in
              its walls." by me: Mom to 5 blessings--ages 2 to 14 years.

              Greetings from "balmy" Rochester, NY (heh heh...NOT):

              I am an EQ5 owner and loving it. I bought the last of the 5 books today,

              Took them all to Office Max, had the bindings cut off, holes punched, vinyl

              Covers added, and a nice plastic spiral binding. Books like these, I

              Like them to lay flat when I'm using them. I think they look so much nicer

              Too.

              I am a quilter, as well as a Machine Embroider. Own EQ5 and the Viking 3D

              Professional Software system. I'm a computer technician by trade, so I

              Tend to really lean towards the computerized stuff.

              Is there anyone out there in NY?

              Jan C.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://docs.yahoo.Com/info/terms/
            • Janet Ciravola
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 21, 2006
                Hey Gina,

                What are the steps to import an embroidery now? Why can't you link another
                folder to use as a "library" of sorts?

                _____

                Greetings from "balmy" Rochester, NY (heh heh...NOT):

                I am an EQ5 owner and loving it. I bought the last of the 5 books today,

                Took them all to Office Max, had the bindings cut off, holes punched, vinyl

                Covers added, and a nice plastic spiral binding. Books like these, I

                Like them to lay flat when I'm using them. I think they look so much nicer

                Too.

                I am a quilter, as well as a Machine Embroider. Own EQ5 and the Viking 3D

                Professional Software system. I'm a computer technician by trade, so I

                Tend to really lean towards the computerized stuff.

                Is there anyone out there in NY?

                Jan C.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://docs.yahoo.Com/info/terms/

                Hobby
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Hobby+and+cra
                ft+supply&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Electric+quilt&w4=Quilting+crafts&c=4&s=86&.sig=
                I_dAGCuGHPInB0ZxbqEV-g> and craft supply Craft
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w
                2=Craft+hobby&w3=Electric+quilt&w4=Quilting+crafts&c=4&s=86&.sig=PHniYyTf5Ot
                -iucF_OqZZA> hobby Electric
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electric+quilt&w1=Hobby+and+craft+suppl
                y&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Electric+quilt&w4=Quilting+crafts&c=4&s=86&.sig=4WpearxU
                2Dv8LLkvz5HT-A> quilt
                Quilting
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Quilting+crafts&w1=Hobby+and+craft+supp
                ly&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Electric+quilt&w4=Quilting+crafts&c=4&s=86&.sig=6VkProS
                VrlNkIWXAPMmSjw> crafts

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                web.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 21, 2006
                    This can be done???? I would love to find a way to use my books
                    without damaging them. Every time I open one up it takes a bit of
                    the crispness away. And by placing them in binders I could also add
                    pages of notes and shortcuts I find. I love this idea.

                    --- In EQ5@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Ciravola" <jac2000@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings from "balmy" Rochester, NY (heh heh...NOT):
                    >
                    > I am an EQ5 owner and loving it. I bought the last of the 5
                    books today,
                    > took them all to Office Max, had the bindings cut off, holes
                    punched, vinyl
                    > covers added, and a nice plastic spiral binding. Books like
                    these, I
                    > like them to lay flat when I'm using them. I think they look so
                    much nicer
                    > too.
                    >
                    > I am a quilter, as well as a Machine Embroider. Own EQ5 and the
                    Viking 3D
                    > Professional Software system. I'm a computer technician by
                    trade, so I
                    > tend to really lean towards the computerized stuff.
                    >
                    > Is there anyone out there in NY?
                    >
                    > Jan C.

                  • Sheila Williams
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 21, 2006
                      At 2/21/2006, you wrote:
                      >What are the steps to import an embroidery now?

                      Hi Janet,

                      I just had this same question asked of me in my Advance EQ5 Class on Sunday.

                      Since, EQ5 will only work with Bitmap Images, you can only import
                      "Bitmap" images of Embroidery Designs into EQ5.

                      You need to save your Embroidery Design as a "Bitmap" Image using
                      your favorite graphic program, first. Then use the instructions
                      outlined on Pages 162 - 163 of your EQ5 Design CookBook to "Import"
                      the image as a picture.

                      Once you have imported the image, you can use the instructions on
                      pages 130 - 131, of your EQ5 Design CookBook to use the image just as
                      you would an Embroidery Image from the EQ5 Embroidery Library, with
                      the exception that once you add the picture to the Sketchbook it will
                      be on the "Picture" Tab vice the Embroidery Tab. Also note that you
                      can use the picture on all three layers in EQ5.

                      BTW, did you know that EQ5 has an "Embroidery Update" disk out? It
                      is free all you have to pay is the shipping/handling fee of
                      $4. Click the following link for more information:

                      http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ5/EQ5Emb.asp

                      To see if you already have the new Embroidery Designs in your EQ5
                      Program do the following:

                      Open EQ5
                      Click on Libraries, on the Menu Bar
                      Click on Embroidery Library
                      Click on Embroider Libraries

                      If you see the following listing, then you have the update, if not
                      you need to order the CD:

                      Amazing Designs
                      Viking Embroidery
                      Pfaff Embroidery
                      Cactus Embroidery

                      ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
                      Sheila Williams
                      Computer and Quilting Software Consultant
                      Temecula,CA
                      mailto:donegan@...
                      http://www.SheilaWilliams.com
                      Creator/Publisher of "EQ4/5 Tutorial CD-ROM" Available NOW
                    • Gina Reddin
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 22, 2006
                        thank you for explaining it so much better than I could. The only problem
                        is that not all embroidery software is the same. Most designers do not
                        include bmps or jpgs in their files. Some do, but they have the color chart
                        beside the image. Not everyone can get a realistic preview of their design.

                      • sewnana1990
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 22, 2006
                          I have made 3 quilts, twowith Dora the Explorer embroidery and one
                          with Redwork Sam embroidery in my blocks. All three I drew in EQ5
                          first, using my fabrics and .bmps of the embroidery. They worked
                          great. I used EQ help to learn how to do these things. I am at work
                          right now so I can't tell you how to do it. If you need help email
                          me at my personal address.

                          Good Luck!

                          --- In EQ5@yahoogroups.com, "Gina Reddin" <ginalee_67@...> wrote:

                          > Right now it will only import the jpgs of the designs that are
                          built into
                          > the software. It won't import actual design files or jpgs from
                          outside the
                          > software.
                          >

                          > Gina Reddin
                          >

                          > I can't wait until we can import our own embroidery designs
                          instead of the

                          > Ones that in there.
                          >

                          > Gina Reddin
                          >

                          > http://WWW.splintersandthreads.net : Embroidery / Quilt shop
                          >

                          > ***** Home of Snowflake Names: *****
                          >

                          > "Remember me not for the condition of my home but by the love
                          contained in

                          > Its walls." by me: Mom to 5 blessings--ages 2 to 14 years.

                          Service

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 22, 2006
                            Gina (and others),

                            The best way to get a BMP easily, is to bring up the design in your
                            embroidery software, and hit the PRINT SCREEN button on your keyboard.
                            Open up MS Paint....and paste. This will put the entire screen in paint.
                            Then, Crop the embroidery design.....cut.....and paste into a NEW MS Paint
                            file...and save. It will automatically save as a BMP file.

                            JC

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 22, 2006
                              At 2/22/2006, you wrote:
                              >Most designers do not
                              >include bmps or jpgs in their files. Some do, but they have the color chart
                              >beside the image. Not everyone can get a realistic preview of their design.

                              For these people I highly recommend they download "IrfanView". It is
                              a shareware program and cost only $10 to register.

                              http://www.irfanview.com/

                              I use it in my EQ5 Intermediate Classes to teach my students how to
                              batch convert JPEG, Gif and Tiff images to Bitmap Images.

                              It is a very small but powerful graphic utility that can read just
                              about any kind of graphic, I found Microsoft Paint had problems in
                              this area with older versions.

                              The program is very easy to use. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes
                              to teach women to use this program that have never used a graphic
                              program before.

                              ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 23, 2006
                                I agree. It's one of the best programs out there. I just love it.

                                I think that I might have been misunderstood. Embroidery files are
                                completely different from image files. Many of the embroiderers out there
                                purchase designs and send them to their machines. They can see the images
                                of the design on their machine, but not on their computer. They don't even
                                use their computer. Not all embroidery designers are the same. When I have
                                designs that are more of one color change, I do include image files in my
                                design packs so that the customers can see what the color changes are
                                supposed to be. However with one color designs, I don't always do that
                                since there is no need to know what color thread to use on the design, it's
                                the stitcher's choice. I know I'm not good at explaining and I apologize
                                for that. My conversations tend to be with my 5 kids. Don't get much adult
                                conversation. =)

                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 23, 2006
                                  that's how i include my image files in my design files with the stitch
                                  color charts. I've taught many of my customers to do this. However not
                                  everyone has embroidery software that has and embroidery machine.

                                  I think i was completely misunderstood. I do this all the time as a living.
                                  I was trying to suggest to others, not asking how to do it. Sorry for the
                                  misunderstanding. I never dreamed it would come across as me not knowing
                                  how to do it.

                                  From: Sheila Williams

                                  Date: 02/21/06 20:21:20

                                  To: EQ5@...

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 23, 2006
                                    Oh yeah.....does this group allow JPG attachments through it? I can send
                                    a digital picture of what they look like when they are done. So cheap to
                                    do, and adds a LONG life to the book. I do this with my favroite quilt
                                    books also.

                                    _____

                                    This can be done???? I would love to find a way to use my books
                                    without damaging them. Every time I open one up it takes a bit of
                                    the crispness away. And by placing them in binders I could also add
                                    pages of notes and shortcuts I find. I love this idea.

                                    --- In EQ5@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Ciravola" <jac2000@...> wrote:

                                    > Greetings from "balmy" Rochester, NY (heh heh...NOT):
                                    >
                                    > I am an EQ5 owner and loving it. I bought the last of the 5
                                    books today,
                                    > took them all to Office Max, had the bindings cut off, holes
                                    punched, vinyl
                                    > covers added, and a nice plastic spiral binding. Books like
                                    these, I
                                    > like them to lay flat when I'm using them. I think they look so
                                    much nicer
                                    > too.
                                    >
                                    > I am a quilter, as well as a Machine Embroider. Own EQ5 and the
                                    Viking 3D
                                    > Professional Software system. I'm a computer technician by
                                    trade, so I
                                    > tend to really lean towards the computerized stuff.
                                    >
                                    > Is there anyone out there in NY?
                                    >
                                    > Jan C.

                                    Hobby
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Hobby+and+cra
                                    ft+supply&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Electric+quilt&w4=Quilting+crafts&c=4&s=86&.sig=
                                    I_dAGCuGHPInB0ZxbqEV-g> and craft supply Craft
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w
                                    2=Craft+hobby&w3=Electric+quilt&w4=Quilting+crafts&c=4&s=86&.sig=PHniYyTf5Ot
                                    -iucF_OqZZA> hobby Electric
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electric+quilt&w1=Hobby+and+craft+suppl
                                    y&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Electric+quilt&w4=Quilting+crafts&c=4&s=86&.sig=4WpearxU
                                    2Dv8LLkvz5HT-A> quilt
                                    Quilting
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Quilting+crafts&w1=Hobby+and+craft+supp
                                    ly&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Electric+quilt&w4=Quilting+crafts&c=4&s=86&.sig=6VkProS
                                    VrlNkIWXAPMmSjw> crafts

                                    _____

                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                    web.

                                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                    _____

                                  • maryb
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 23, 2006
                                      Yahoo Groups will strip out any attachments. Go to the Photos section and add the pic there.

                                      Mary

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 15, 2006
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 16, 2006
                                          Hello, I'am also a newby and just purchased EQ5 a week
                                          ago. I'am slowly learning it, using the lesson book, that came
                                          with the program.
                                          I'am learning to do machine applique and hope that
                                          this program might help me. I have taken
                                          classes in it. Hope to get some classes on EQ5 here in
                                          Oregon.

                                          Kim, where in Oregon do you live? I live in Sutherlin 12
                                          miles or so from Roseburg.
                                          Been here about 2 years, moved from Central California.

                                          Debbie H.

                                          > Hi, my name is Kim and I just purchased EQ5 software and
                                          the Classic Applique. i am in the very beginning stages of learning
                                          this software. So as I struggle along to learn this new software I
                                          am sure that I will be turning to the group for questions.

                                          > Thank you
                                          >
                                          > Kimberly Tomasi
                                          > kimquilts@...

                                          15/06/2006