Quilt University

  • quilter411
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 4, 2006
      I just have a question about Quilt University. Can anyone who has used it give me quick
      review. I don't really know anything about it.

      Is it interactive or do you download it to your computer and then work on it? I don't seem to
      get very far when I work through the books that came with my EQ5. Maybe this will get me
      to keep going.

      TIA.
      Susan
    • Brenda Ternullo
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 4, 2006
        Quilt University is an online class. You can download the lesson when the class starts up until the class ends. Then there is the form you can use to share ideas and ask quesitons.

        Brenda

        quilter411 <imaquilter@...> wrote:
        I just have a question about Quilt University. Can anyone who has used it give me quick
        review. I don't really know anything about it.

        Is it interactive or do you download it to your computer and then work on it? I don't seem to
        get very far when I work through the books that came with my EQ5. Maybe this will get me
        to keep going.

        TIA.
        Susan

        Looking for EQ products in Australia? http://www.geckogully.com/quilting_software.htm
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Brenda Ternullo
        Visit my blog and comment http://bmtquilts.blogspot.com/

        BMT Quilts & More....

      • craftymailmanlady
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 4, 2006
          Susan,

          When you take a class at Quilt University, you get a lesson posted to
          their web site on Saturday ( many times late Friday night) you have a
          week to work through the lesson before the next one is posted. During
          that week if you have any questions about what was in the lesson
          there is a discussion area, where you can go to ask questions and the
          teachers are usually very good about answering them the same day. You
          can save the web pages to your computer or print them out so you can

          They do have a 'sample' class you can take to see how it all works
          before you actually spend money on a class to see if it is something
          that will work for you. Not every one can learn in the same type of
          environment, so if it's something that doesn't work for you, no sense
          in spending the money on a class. For me, QU is great because I
          don't have time to go take a class at a local quilt shop week after
          week, so doing it at home in my own time during the week is perfect
          for me. But then I didn't have any problems working through the EQ5
          books to learn the program, but then I was motivated to learn how to
          do something. If I hadn't been motivated, and it was just something
          I wanted to do, it probably would have taken me a lot longer to work
          through the books. I also found that since I had worked through the
          books, the EQ Basics class was stuff I already figured out on my own,
          and didn't really need to take that one.

          Hope this gives you an idea on how QU works.

          Diane in Colorado Springs

          --- In EQ5@yahoogroups.com, "quilter411" <imaquilter@...> wrote:

          > I just have a question about Quilt University. Can anyone who has
          used it give me quick
          > review. I don't really know anything about it.
          >
          > Is it interactive or do you download it to your computer and then
          work on it? I don't seem to
          > get very far when I work through the books that came with my EQ5.
          Maybe this will get me
          > to keep going.
          >
          > TIA.
          > Susan

        • Barbara Frohne
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 4, 2006
            Susan,
            Here's another experience. I had the EQ5 books for a year and just couldn't get focused or wasn't computer knowedgeable enough to get through them. I took the EQ5 Basics and Easy Draw at Quilt University and with the help of Fran Gonzales (the instructor) was successful. The real benefit was it gave me some self confidence and the books started to make sense. I just got the EQ6 upgrade and feel I can use it with the instruction book. I also love taking classes and not having to leave home, plus working when my schedule allows. Where else could a person in rural western Pennsylvania take a class from someone in New Zealand (bargello's) and British Colombia, Canada (points and curves) one after the other!!

            You don't have to risk much to try a class. I printed my lessons out and have them in a notebook for future reference. It also forced me to learn how to use our digital camera, scanner, and to post pictures of my work. The feedback from the instructors was very good and I enjoyed exchanging and being in classes with people from all over the world. Only on the internet!!
            Barbara

            craftymailmanlady <Mailmanldy@...> wrote:
            Susan,

            When you take a class at Quilt University, you get a lesson posted to
            their web site on Saturday ( many times late Friday night) you have a
            week to work through the lesson before the next one is posted. During
            that week if you have any questions about what was in the lesson
            there is a discussion area, where you can go to ask questions and the
            teachers are usually very good about answering them the same day. You
            can save the web pages to your computer or print them out so you can

            They do have a 'sample' class you can take to see how it all works
            before you actually spend money on a class to see if it is something
            that will work for you. Not every one can learn in the same type of
            environment, so if it's something that doesn't work for you, no sense
            in spending the money on a class. For me, QU is great because I
            don't have time to go take a class at a local quilt shop week after
            week, so doing it at home in my own time during the week is perfect
            for me. But then I didn't have any problems working through the EQ5
            books to learn the program, but then I was motivated to learn how to
            do something. If I hadn't been motivated, and it was just something
            I wanted to do, it probably would have taken me a lot longer to work
            through the books. I also found that since I had worked through the
            books, the EQ Basics class was stuff I already figured out on my own,
            and didn't really need to take that one.

            Hope this gives you an idea on how QU works.

            Diane in Colorado Springs

            --- In EQ5@yahoogroups.com, "quilter411" <imaquilter@...> wrote:

            > I just have a question about Quilt University. Can anyone who has
            used it give me quick
            > review. I don't really know anything about it.
            >
            > Is it interactive or do you download it to your computer and then
            work on it? I don't seem to
            > get very far when I work through the books that came with my EQ5.
            Maybe this will get me
            > to keep going.
            >
            > TIA.
            > Susan

          • Debbie Davis
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 4, 2006
              Hi Susan. I've taken three of the classes on EQ5 from Quilt
              University and I learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed the classes. I
              took Custom Set, Patch Draw and Easy Draw all with Fran Gonzalez.
              The value is great. Got to work through the classes at my pace but
              was motivated to get through one lesson in a week so that I'd be
              ready for the next. I find it better than the EQ books cause you
              actually get to use the tools, functionality of the program while
              designing a quilt. Fran is very knowledgeable and gives lots of tips
              during the session. You do download the classes to your computer and
              work through the exercises. There is a discussion forum that you can
              visit daily (or more often, depends on you), there are instructions
              to print or copy and paste any useful info you find in the discussion
              forum. I would definitely recommend you try it out. There is a
              sample lesson on Border Crossings you can download, it is information
              to read, but very in depth and good information.
              On Dec 4, 2006, at 8:40 AM, quilter411 wrote:

              > I just have a question about Quilt University. Can anyone who has
              > used it give me quick
              > review. I don't really know anything about it.
              >
              > Is it interactive or do you download it to your computer and then
              > work on it? I don't seem to
              > get very far when I work through the books that came with my EQ5.
              > Maybe this will get me
              > to keep going.
              >
              > TIA.
              > Susan

            • suegriskait
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 5, 2006
                I have a question. I wanted to sign up for the beginning EQ5 class.
                I was reading on the site that if I have EQ6 I should not sign up for
                this class. By upgrading to EQ6, does this do something to the EQ5
                program? I have not tried to open the EQ5 nor have I had a chance to
                play with the EQ6. I have used the program, but would really like to
                feel more comfortable with it. The price for the class is very
                reasonable. Did I read this right?

                Thanks,

                Sue
                Michigan
              • Betsy Miller
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 5, 2006
                  Quilt university question.

                  I love Quilt University!!!! I have taken all the EQ5 classes from Fran and Patti and loved every minute of them. there is a new class each week and you print out the lessons, work through the lessons, send in "pictures" to be posted in the class gallery and can even ask questions, post comments in the forum section of each and every class.

                  I highly recommend them!
                  Betsy
                  Illinois

                • Sheila Williams
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 6, 2006
                    At 12/5/2006, you wrote:
                    >I have a question. I wanted to sign up for the beginning EQ5 class.
                    >I was reading on the site that if I have EQ6 I should not sign up for
                    >this class. By upgrading to EQ6, does this do something to the EQ5
                    >program? I have not tried to open the EQ5 nor have I had a chance to
                    >play with the EQ6. I have used the program, but would really like to
                    >feel more comfortable with it. The price for the class is very
                    >reasonable. Did I read this right?

                    Hi Sue,

                    The reason the instructor does not want EQ5 and EQ6 users mixed in
                    the class is because her lesson plans were designed for EQ5. It
                    would be way to confusing for the students in the class to have two
                    different programs. Fran will be having EQ6 class but much later in
                    Spring on QU.

                    When you upgraded to EQ6 it did not change the EQ5 program on your
                    computer at all. It is still the same and you can still use it.

                    You can take the EQ5 Beginner Class just make sure that you use the
                    EQ5 Program for the class. You will be able to use a lot of the
                    information you will learn in the EQ5 Class in EQ6. So it will not
                    be wasted time or money.

                    ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
                    Sheila Williams
                    Computer and Quilting Software Consultant
                    Temecula,CA
                    mailto:donegan@...
                    http://www.SheilaWilliams.com
                    Creator/Publisher of "EQ4/5 Tutorial CD-ROM" Available NOW
                  • lantwin@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 8, 2009
                      Has anyone taken the EQ6 lesson on line. I'm teaching myself, but thinking about taking this class....any comments?

                      Thanks, Lana
                    • Diane
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 19, 2009
                        Lana,

                        I took classes at Quilt University for EQ5 and they were excellent. It helped a lot in learning the basics of the program, and then going on to learn more advanced things.

                        I'm sure that the classes for EQ6 will be just as great as they were for EQ5.

                        Diane in Colorado Springs

                        --- In EQ5_EQ6@yahoogroups.com, "lantwin@..." <lantwin@...> wrote:

                        > Has anyone taken the EQ6 lesson on line. I'm teaching myself, but thinking about taking this class....any comments?
                        >
                        > Thanks, Lana

                      • Kathy
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 20, 2009
                          --- In EQ5_EQ6@yahoogroups.com, "lantwin@..." <lantwin@...> wrote:

                          > Has anyone taken the EQ6 lesson on line. I'm teaching myself, but thinking about taking this class....any comments?
                          >
                          > Thanks, Lana

                          I have just completed Fran Gonzalez's 3rd EQ6 course - Advanced Layouts. I have learned much more than I did from the books. She is a great teacher and I wish there were more courses that she taught! Believe the first of her three is starting soon at Quilt University. Best money I've spent!

                          Enjoy, Kathy
                        • dotmrichey@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 20, 2009
                            Lana, I have taken all of the EQ5 classes and the advanced EQ6 classes on
                            QU and they are all excellent classes! They are taught by Fran Gonzalez
                            and Patti Anderson, who are both genii (?) in the program! It is just like,
                            well, better than taking a class in a bricks and mortar classroom. You can
                            print out all the lessons and keep them to refer to in the future, as well
                            as ask questions and get almost immediate answers, participate in class
                            discussions, post your work and see others' work, as well, do the classwork in
                            your jammies, or whenever it is convenient for you, etc., etc.! It is like
                            having your cake and eating it too....all at a very reasonable cost, too!
                            I love QU!

                            Dottie in Atlanta
                            _mailto_ (http://mailto/) :dotmrichey@...
                            **************Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop: Now in 6 vibrant colors! Shop Dell’s
                            full line of laptops.
                            (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222399266x1201456865/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215073777%3B3703434
                            3%3Bf)

                          • Barbara Frohne
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 20, 2009
                              I echo the positive comment about quilt university. I'm currently taking the basic course with Fran Gonzalez and she is one of the most responsive and helpful teachers.  Her instructions are excellent and you do not have to be a computer whiz to understand them.
                               Barb

                              _mailto_ (http://mailto/) :dotmrichey@aol. com