6725Create Log Cabin Block

  • iowa_genealogist
    May 6, 2014

      I apparently am having a senior citizen moment.  I want to do a simple Log Cabin block and purchased precuts (10 inch squares) for this project.  I've never worked with precuts before, so I am in uncharted territory.  Normally I purchase yardage, rather than precuts, but the shop I was at didn't have yardage in the fabrics that I wanted.

      My thought was to create a Log Cabin block in EQ7.  It seemed simple at the time.  I set the block to be 10x10, since my fabric is a 10 inch square.

      I know there are Log Cabin blocks already in the EQ7 block library, but they all seemed to have one more round than what I wanted.  I wanted to have just the center square and then two more rounds, so there would be pieces A through E.

      I set the block size 10 inches square and made each layer 2 1/2 inches wide.  It seemed simple at the time, but when I go to PRINT / ROTARY CUT LAYOUT, EQ7 is not giving me any size for unit A, which is the longest piece of the Log Cabin Block.  This piece just is not printed out.   It says that Unit B is 6 1/2 x 2 1/2; Unit C is 8 1/2 x 2 1/2; Unit D is 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 and United E is 2 /12 inches square.

      This all seems to make sense, except that when I do the math on the block, it doesn't seem like it's going to work.  I do have to admit this has been a long day, just finishing two other quilts for Quilts of Valor.

      I can send the block to anyone who would care to see it, or I could post it, if that's okay.  I just don't want to cut my fabric, because I don't have any extra, and it was a 5 hour trip (one way) to get the fabric that I do have.

      Maybe I should look through the blocks that are in EQ7 and see if I can find a Log Cabin block that only has the center and 2 rounds.  Normally, I would make 3 rounds, plus the center block, but I'm afraid that this fabric would loose a lot of the prettiness if it's cut at the normal 1 1/2 inches that I normally make a Log Cabin.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic