Welcome to Election Integrity Idaho!

  • Warren Stewart
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2006
      This list serve is an experiment. VoteTrustUSA is a national
      non-partisan network organization that supports state and local election
      integrity groups. Part of our mission is not only to provide information
      and resources to groups that already exist, but to encourage concerned
      citizens in states where organizations have not yet formed to connect.
      Across the nation, people are paying attention to the process through we
      cast and count our votes. Election administration and voting technology
      have come under the scrutiny of voters in every state of the nation.
      This is not only healthy - it is essential. As Thomas Jefferson famously
      said "Eternal vigilance is the price of Freedom".

      Elections in Idaho have received little attention. To a great extent,
      this may be due to the relatively open and apparently admirable job done
      by the long time state election administrator, Secretary of State Ben
      Ysursa. VoteTrustUSA has been pleased that Ysursa has adopted a strong
      position in favor of paper ballots. This position was reinforced by the
      quiet unanimous passge of HO 283 last Spring, requiring that voting
      systems in Idaho require the use of a voter verified paper record. The
      optical scan ballots that Ysursa has selected for statewide use in Idaho
      are of course inherently voter verified. Ysursa's choice of the AutoMARK
      ballot marking device to meet the accessibility requirements of Section
      301 of the Help America Vote Act has also met with the general approval
      of the election integrity community.

      Even less attention has been paid to Idaho's contract with Covansys and
      their partners Aradyme and PCC Tech, to assemble the stewide voter
      registration database required by HAVA. While remaining non-partisan and
      focused on elections and voting, this list is not limited to issues of
      voting machines and databases, but can grow to include voting rights,
      clean elections, and other issues.

      It is hoped that this list serve will bring together Idahoans that share
      the desire to preserve the integrity of our elections, which are the
      foundation of the democractic process. While Idaho has been spared the
      voting machine disasters that other states have endured, it is
      nonetheless important that citizens continue to pay attention to
      election issues in the state, if only to point out to other states how
      to do it right.

      We look forward to a lively discussion of election integrity in Idaho.

      Warren Stewart
      VoteTrustUSA