INTERNET: ISSUES : MEDIA: ISSUES: Trading Communal Moments for Instant Internet Gratification

  • David P. Dillard
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007
      INTERNET: ISSUES :
      MEDIA: ISSUES:
      Trading Communal Moments for Instant Internet Gratification
      By HOWARD KURTZ, The Washington Post
      Published: Sunday, Dec. 31, 2006
      Nashua Telegraph
      <http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/
      article?AID=/20061231/OPINION04/212310326>

      A shorter URL for the above link:

      <http://tinyurl.com/ymodtb>

      But while I hook up my laptop just about anywhere, IM my buddies and
      continually check my buzzing BlackBerry, one thing is missing: what I call
      Ed Sullivan moments.

      <snip>

      Now, liberated from the stranglehold of CBS, NBC and ABC, we can watch
      news channels that match our political predilections. Read Web sites that
      reinforce our opinions. Stream our favorite radio talkers through our
      computer speakers. Download videos that mirror our obsessions. Add
      selected songs to our iPod playlists rather than buying the whole album
      oops, sorry, CD. The Googlization of books could mean that you just punch
      up the chapter, passage or reference you want rather than read an authors
      entire work.

      In short, we can now get anything we want, at the precise moment we want
      it, tailored to our merest whim. Whod want to give that up?

      Not me, thats for sure. But isnt something lost if you can wall yourself
      off from views and information that challenge what you already believe? If
      everything is ordered a la carte? If and this really dates me as an
      ink-stained wretch you like turning the pages of a newspaper because you
      might bump into an unexpected story you would never have found online? If
      you and your family and your co-workers are plugged into parallel media
      universes?

      While Ed Sullivan moments may be consigned to history, the digital age has
      brought us a burgeoning army of citizen journalists. And that led Time to
      declare you that is, all of us as its Person of the Year.

      Sincerely,
      David Dillard
      Temple University
      (215) 204 - 4584