Albany weekend travelogue

  • Ed Tracey
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003

      Albany travelogue – Halloween weekend, 2003

      I got into Albany late in the afternoon this past Friday (Halloween). Tom Burke met up with me at the bar in Jack’s Restaurant on State Street, and we headed back to the new house that he and Sue moved into this month (only a few blocks from the old apartment).

      I think everyone was happy with the added room they now have, dishwasher and other niceties (including a deck in the back for which the unusually warm weather made testing it out feasible). Still a work-in-progress, Tom & Sue report….but a good one. In addition, Tom and Sue were proud to show off the (relatively) new bunny rabbit – which Tom refers to (affectionately, of course) as….Stew. Yes, many jokes were made about that.

      Quiet evening, Craig came over to shoot the breeze for a bit (we had some pizza) and then just as he was set to leave, Bob and Mary arrived – as well as Dave & Barbara. Good time for a bit, then Dave & Barbara were on their way over to a Halloween party at George’s home (where Mary Cooper was to have attended). But the rest of us were beat, and decided to pack it in later that night after getting caught up on everything.

       The next day Tom, Bob and myself decided to do some….creeking (shocking, I know, that it may sound to you). We set out for Thacher State Park (1/2 hour outside of town) and with great weather walked all sorts of trails (two waterfalls, lotsa creeks, boards, handrails, steps, etc. It was enough to give you a good workout but non-taxing, especially with the pleasantly cool weather. Late autumn colors were nice (ambers, dull golds and bare white birches). All the while, Sue was at a friend’s luncheon and Mary was doing some major-league shopping.

      We finished up the creek visit with a detour past the Zwicklebauer Hofbrau restaurant on the banks of nearby Warners Lake (where Tom and Sue have done some serious suntanning in the past)and finished with a Spaten beer. We returned back home, met up with Mary and Sue, and had a nice dinner at an Italian restaurant to celebrate the birthdays of Sue and her sister Sandra.

      Later that night, Tom, Bob and I finished up at the Iron Horse pub, within walking distance of his home. Good time, the bartender told us it was a quiet night (due to everyone partying out the night before for Halloween).

      Today, after seeing Craig one more time (after he left OTB with the racing form in hand)

      we drove to downtown Albany for a final hike along the waterfront – Tom took us across a footbridge designed to cross I-87 to bring people to the water’s edge. I took a 2:30 bus home, but I’m afraid Bob and Tom were headed for the Albany Pump House – a brewpub with a brick-oven pizza that Bob seemed to take an interest in. Great time, overall.

    • Ed Tracey
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2005
        This was a more quiet weekend than we have had in previous years - but one
        that met with smiles all around.

        Friday night was just a hangout, Bob and Mary got there later than I did,
        and we just got caught up with everything. Saturday brought us first to the
        Ski Expo, held at the Albany State Capitol Exhibition Hall (along with a car
        show). All sorts of resorts in the North Country were represented, plus
        manufacturers of gear, etc.

        Next, we headed to Thacher Park, in the mountains outside of town. Dave
        and Barbara met up with us there - in fact, arrived in the parking lot less
        than 1/2-minute before we did. Excellent weather all weekend, so we got in
        some excellent creeking. That night, we met up with Tom and Sue's friends
        Christian and Brenda for dinner at Sam's Restaurant along with Dave (Barbara
        was working on some campaign stuff for this Tuesday's elections). They also
        drove us past Mary Cooper's new apartment; a stone building with an
        interesting building layout.

        Sunday saw Bob and Mary leaving early to get in some shopping and some
        minor repairs, but the rest of us and D&B this time went to a another
        familiar haunt: Five Rivers Nature Preserve, an excellent place for creeking
        and (discreetly) having a cold one.

        Many thanks to Tom & Sue for their hospitality (as usual) and for the
        others joining us. If we missed you this time, maybe another place/time.
      • Bob Castagna
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
          Hi Tom and Sue,
          Mary and I would like to thank you for your hospitality and shopping and creeking as well.
          We went to Pepboys got light bulb only 9.99 had them install no charge; threw guy a few dollars. We than took I-90 to Taconic Pkwy than stopped at Lake Taconic State Park lots of leaves down. We creeked as well as I splashed my hands in the little creek off the road that flows down to the lake. We than went by Daily Planet too crowded we went to Pizza Place
          just past Daily Planet on right had a small half meatball pie and salad very good.

          We than went to Flea Market some good vendors we stayed about an hr. We tryed to start car and Battery Sounded Dead but it started at Flea Market very windy and mild there. It looked like the further south we went the more colors there were lots of leaves falling. There were some nice flowing creeks on the way to Flea market. It was good thing we left when we did as car battery was dead when we came home. We had AAA come and give us jump in driveway we took yesterday to Ed Bands and he replaced battery as it was bad and dead.

          Nice seeing everyone great weekend. We will touch base about future events.

          The Cave and Cavewoman