Weekend in the Fatherland

  • reorgman
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2002
      Friday night - Larry's cousin Roger Farina and I set sail to Mannheim
      to catch the German League semifinal game between Kassel and Mannheim
      at an arena that made the Commack Arena look like the Taj Mahal. (
      but this one seats 9000 instead of 3000 - and its a quasi - outdoor
      arena with a roof on it)

      Of course - we get there and the game is sold out. This is where
      Roger takes over - and we go up to the Diamond Club equivalent and
      tell the doorman that we were invited to come by the Mannheim Coach -
      Bill Stewart ( ex Islanders Head Coach) so not only did they fall
      victim to Roger's charm, but they gave us top seats (32 Euros each)
      and arranged for us to meet the coach and the players after the game.

      Real treat - sparing hockey details for the non hockey crowd - We met
      Mannheim players Steve Junker and Mike Stevens - both former Isles
      players and chatted with Bill Stewart for 30 mins. He delayed his tv
      interview to talk with us - as these guys love it when north
      americans who saw them play in Canada-US remember them.

      Went back to Frankfurt for a night cap.

      Next day - went to Roger´s home near Wurzburg. met up with someone
      we both know from being isles fans and we went to the Army base to
      buy food (AMERICAN JUNK FOOD FOR MY HOTEL ROOM) and we stayed up all
      night with beers and listened to the Islander game from the webcast
      on my laptop computer and toasted the ISLES MAKING THE PLAYOFFS FOR
      THE FIRST TIME in 8 YEARS !! and the RANGER$ Hitting the golf
      course early for the FIFTH YEAR IN A ROW !!

      But these 1:30 AM (Frankfurt) are killers. We slept in the next
      morning till early afternoon.

      The Army base was neat - I felt like I was at a Wal-Mart in North
      Carolina. Did drive by the Helicopter hangar where Roger is based
      and flys choppers - but did not go in - post 9-11 security takes a
      lot of fun out of tours.

      On Sunday we chilled playing with Abagaile Nystrom Farina ( Roger´s
      daughter - please note the middle name IS after former Isles player
      Bobby Nystrom --- and you thought I was nuts !!) Abby is 14 months
      old and a joy to hang with.

      Back in Frankfurt now at work - LOOOONG week here ----but what else
      is new?

      Eddie´s Brother - my new name is EDDIE BURKE
    • PLUME, BARBARA
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2002
        You're making us droo-o-ol-l-l-l with envy, Eddie Burke. Dave & I missed
        out on our every five years trip, but soon we'll be back. B&D.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2002
          Barbara & Dave,

          I've been living in Germany for the past three years. I'm currently in the
          U.S. until late May at which point I return to the Fatherland where I'll
          resume living and working. By all means let me know when you'll be visiting.
          If there's anything I can do to assist, please let me know.

          -- Kevin

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2002
            Hey Pat:
            Still waiting for the lowdown on the Rammstein concert. Ich will!
          • reorgman@mindspring.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2002
              I saw one of their videos today !!

              I was not too familiar with them.

              Woo hoo hoo hoooooooooooooo! STUBBS !!

              Eddie Burke

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 10, 2002
                Thanks a lot, Kevin. We've been retrenching financially for the past few
                years (paying down our debts) so we're not really ready to travel abroad
                yet. We'll keep you in mind, though. B&D.